And another Sherman is born

Couldn’t help myself; decided to start working on the Early Production Sherman in my stash prior to my trip to Texas. I will be taking another one of my kits, probably either the M26 Pershing or the Easy Eight (both Tamiya).

I also used the sponson cover template from Armorama, but because this kit is built slightly different than the M4A3s, it had to mod the sponson cover slightly in order for them to fit.

Decided to go with all hatches open and will have the crew present.

I’m thinking of adding a Rhino Hedgerow Cutter to it and build it as a Normandy Breakout Sherman.

What do you guys think? :blush:

14 Likes

Norm would approve the change. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Looks great to me.The underside plastic strip makes it much better.Where is the template available?.
Happy modelling.
Richard

4 Likes

I… ehh… I… I am currently working on that very tank… with scratchbuilt hedgerowcutter… but it has been a long running project. Almost a year in the making.

8 Likes

Great Minds Think Alike. :smiling_face:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Mind you, I did find a small gap between front armor and differential housing (white strip).
And I called the half figures “Merry and Pippin”, because the one that did not get a mask, reminds me of the Merry-character in LOTR-movies.

7 Likes

That’s the one; I think it works as-is on the M4A3 kits (both the 75mm and 105mm - the Easy Eight kits already have covers for the sponsons), but with this kit, it needs a bit of trimming on the back, where it reaches the rear portion of the kit. Nothing too crazy and very doable.

2 Likes

I did notice the slight gap, which I will remediate with a little .010 strip of styrene. I also found a gap between the panels on the back engine deck, which I just covered with some .010 styrene sheeting. I’ll use the same .010 styrene strip to fashion the edge lip where you’d attach the fender covers onto the vehicle.

Like on this Canadian M4A4 Sherman.

1 Like

Thanks pal for heads up.
Richard

3 Likes

Just as Ton did, I added a strip of styrene over the gap on the transmission housing to tighten everything up.

Also put together the drive sprockets and return rollers, sanding the big seam on the rollers.

Everything sitting nicely so far. I put together the turret, but left the upper and lower halves unglued for now, since I want to add a few details, like ammo cans and some bags to liven up the interior.

4 Likes

The only problem is that this tank is not correct.
I was educated AFTER I built this thing, so I am passing on that knowledge AFTER you built it. :grin:
The transmissionhousing apparently is for an M4A4, the bogie assemblies are late productions as is the gunshield…
But it still looks like a Sherman, so I am still satisfied, as I progress into the weathering stage with mine.

2 Likes

Well darn! :disappointed:

Oh well; guess I’ll build it into an M4A4 then.

1 Like

Honestly… I do not even know what the differences are, really.

1 Like

Hi guys.
The early Tamiya m4 is a mishmash of variants.The glacis and aerial pot are m4a4 and the driver and co drivers hood.The engine area is fine for M4 Sherman.Ive got a couple and i like to superdetail them.Ive you swap the engine deck with the Tamiya M4a3 105 howitzer version you have an m4 Howitzer version.The m4a3 deck can be put on the earlier kit for another version.Steve Zalogas book on modelling the Shermams has some tweaks.
I like U.K Shermans and i beefed up the hoods and with some shaping you can make a Sherman 1 or m4 in U.S service.The bolted transmission is usually on m4a4 and earlier versions.But i always say there are no wrongs making models as its up to the modeller and your hobby alway.Enjoy guys.
Richard

3 Likes

You can’t. You would have to lengthen the hull and change the engine deck. Just build it as an M4 and have fun with it.

4 Likes

Yes for m4a4 the hull is longer and radial engine.Wheel spacing different.The Tamiya m4 is a mix of m4 and m4a4.If the aerial.pot is changed to Alco version and hoods reshaped then m4 definately.I took.a Dragon.kit and made a quick.silicone mould of the aerial pot and so i can swap pots over.Reshape hoods and yes its an m4.The bogies are the upswept sort for later m4s.Early ones would have horizontal trailing arms.Tasca do replacement sets or if done carefully then kits one can be used by sawing a bit.Best way is use the applique plates over the hoods and covers the mistake.
Happy modelling.
Richard

I concur… and proceed… wondering whether they based this model on a postwar conconted museumspecimen…

3 Likes

You are probably right Ron.I still like the kit as they are pretty cheap and can be made to look stunning…British Firefly 1c can be made from the kit with the obvious changes.Deginately a Franken tank project.Hope your projects are going well.
Richard

3 Likes

Most likely. I’ve decided to just finish it as an M4whatever. Just sticking to making this an “almost OOB” build with only a few mods to “freshen up” the kit.

I glued the hull together, adding styrene to seal the back just above the back engine hatch.

I also scratched up a bigger plank for stowage since the ones provided in the kit are not long enough.

I also assembled both types of drive sprockets to see which one I can use.

5 Likes