And now for something completely different, or what I've been doing instead of model building

Nice one Richard! A good friend of mine has played a Guild guitar since the late 60’s and he swears it out rings anything any other player can come up with.

Damian,
Nice collection of guitars you have listed. Playing guitar was my 1st hobby before I married and had a family. Quite a few years were lost but I’ve been playing seriously now for the last few years.
Other than the homemade electric ones I posted above I’ve managed to end up with a late 1960’s Roy Noble dreadnought, 2002 Martin D-28 CW, MIM Fender Telecaster, 1978 Ibanez Musician 400 and a Givens mandolin.

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Thanks C - I admire your work on the solid bodies .
When I bought the Guild it was my second choice because I couldn’t afford my first choice , a Martin D 28 or even a D 18 . I had left college and was working in carpentry , my only means of transportation was a motorcycle and so had to borrow a car to shop and buy this guitar .
There was a small music shop in a town not too far from me owned by a gentleman named Ed McGlincy IIRC . I traded a Vox 12 string and some cash for the Guild . Ed was also luthier and showed me his current guitar he was building for Gordon Lightfoot .
Funny how things turn out - a friend and consummate musician does guitar work and put my guitar back in shape for me- thankfully it only needed the slightest of tweaking- and he had in his shop a Martin D 18 of slightly newer vintage than my guild . The Guild indeed rang better so I guess I made the right choice long ago !

Good story Richard and thanks for the compliment on the teles. My first ‘real’ guitar, after a long line of Department store guitars was a Martin D-18. I got it at a local music store for a reasonable price. This was around 1974. Unfortunately the D-18 was one of the early 70’s with major intonation problems due to the wrong placement of the bridge. I traded it around 1977 for a Taylor guitar (my sister got a Taylor at that time also and still has hers) I eventually sold the Taylor and got a beautiful late 1960’s Roy Noble dreadnought. When I retired in 2019 my wife got me a NOS 2003 D-28 from friends who used to own a music store and had several guitars left over from the store. I am set for guitars for life now as I have somehow ended up with both my dream acoustic guitars.

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

KSO, I love to see this wonderful old stuff. Still have my old record player from the 1980’s somewhere in the basement.
This is the first radio my parents bought 1960 when they were just married. They say it cost something around 250 Deutsch Marks and they could only buy it on instalment purchase. It’s real wood, no veneer. The radio doesn’t work anymore, there are several things broken inside over the last … 60 years … :open_mouth: A few years ago my father and I cleaned it with furniture polish and now it sits for the rest of my days over my living room door as an eye catcher … :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@BlackWidow , Wow that is beautiful! All of the optional frequency bands.
That can be restored to operational condition. It’s a tube radio. Before ‘solid state transistor’. Tubes are replaceable. You can’t just stroll down to your local hardware store and find the tube(s) you need anymore but they are on-line. I assume it was not under water for the last 20 years and it’s not a Macintosh, so it can be fixed. :grinning:

2 Likes

I just looked it up.
Loewe Opta Planet Modern Type 32026

1 Like

That’s some collection of FM receivers for sure. I recognize the KLH, Sony, & GE, but not the others. I’m sure that the sound is still literally music to your ears.

joel

1 Like

Im also on the Hot springs Golf team. We just had a big
tournament today. I shot a 88 on 18 holes so it was a “meh” day.

Our VERY cut down team. There is normally 8 of us but 5 were quarantined cuz of Covid. Really only 2 of us played because my friend Caleb (Far left) Isnt qualified for Varsity yet so he acted as my JV spotter. (Im tallest far right)

5 Likes

My other hobby is freshwater fishing for anything that bites. Usually from the bank with 3 different rods set up for bass, pan and catfish. Bass if on my buddy’s boat.

I was on my High School golf team way back in the dark ages. My whole family were avid players.
After caddying and playing from early teens through graduation I found other areas of interest and playing golf became a distant memory.
Looks like you have healthy hobbies. If you are as good at playing golf as you are at building models you’ve got a pro-future.

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Mountain biking! I ride all over Canada, and have probably scattered my DNA over the rocks of a half-dozen bike parks in Quebec alone :joy:

5 Likes

I have far to many interest and to few hours in the day, to pursue all.
When the weather allows, I love cruising, in my '66 Mustang

I have been practicing Taekwondo for +40 years.

Books is another passion, of mine. Just can’t get enough of books.

For a couple of years, I have been brewing my own beer.
Looks appetizing, doesn’t it.

Well, in the end, it does look appetizing :grinning:

6 Likes

Wonderful, Jesper! Love that Mustang of yours! I can only keep up with my faithful 2005 Ford Focus … :hugs:

In my youth I did Karate for a few years and reached the purple belt. But that’s already about 35 years ago … :roll_eyes:

Making a canal boat the other home.

6 Likes

Looks like fun! It also reminds me of a certain episode of “Keeping Up Appearances” although that wasn’t a canal boat.

1 Like

I worked on getting that stain out today using Resolve.

Before

5 Likes

A canal boat, what a cool idea.

Nice work! I know my luck would have been the stain spread instead of being removed.

1 Like

A bit of a backstory, I purchased this Case 365 new in 1980 with a 1980 date stamp for hiking and camping while I was a Freshman in high school. I used it constantly over the next forty years and as you can see the blade held up well. Mostly it was only used on food. Well, fast forward to 2020 and I did no camping or hiking, the blade sat in my shed and the leather got eaten by rodents. What was left was molded up pretty good. I decided to try to repair it myself versus sending to Case to see if they could possibly repair it. I destroyed the pommel cutting it off parallel to the tang. I used a pair of 3/8" Purpleheart scales that I milled slots into using a Dremel bit in my drill press to create a hidden tang, brass pins, a stainless guard and three coats of Tru-Oil after sanding and sanding and sanding to a shape that I liked.

5 Likes

Sadly all I have been doing is working. And working and then working some more. The staffing shortage hasn’t only affected the restaurant business. Its impacted a lot of industries. Have to keep the client happy so I have been working a lot of hours. Its why it’s taken me close on 2 months to complete my T-34/85’s. Just haven’t had the time or energy to do modelling.

1 Like