Andy's Hobby HQ to release a 1/16 M113A1/M113A1 ACAV

15 Likes

Whoa! Big news indeed. the M113A1 is one of those vehicles that’s a must in any modeler’s display case. Aside from being the gateway to many other variants that are currently in service.

6 Likes

I am not a fan of the M113 but in 1/16 scale I am very tempted to do one. It will look really nice and the flat sides are ideal for a camouflaged vehicle or some streaks and rainmarks and fading and all that. And no rust to be seen…

3 Likes

Definately something I hoped to see but didnt imagine I would.
Another kit to be announced soon too! So perhaps a Mutt to go with it? Who knows.

4 Likes

An M151A1 with full engine and canvas top would be a nice kit to have. Base kit would have an M60 as standard, with options to add a 106mm RR, added armor plate to become a gun jeep, like the ones that were used by both Military Police and transportation units.

6 Likes

You imagine building an ACAV with full compliment of weapons in 1/16?

It’d be epic.

8 Likes

That M48 is more epic than the full compliment of weapons, just saying… :sunglasses: :smiley:

6 Likes

Everybody loves a big, burly M48, Nikos… :wink:

6 Likes

Ha! You beat me to it, Nikos. I was going to post the announcement and YouTube video. :smiley:
Anyhow, according to the video, Andy said that the first test shots of the kit prototype are planned for mid-June 2024. All the CAD work is done, and Takom is now making the injection molds.
Based on that statement, if all the parts fit correctly, etc. I anticipate the kit being available on the US market sometime in Q4 of this year in the best scenario.
I know I am going to get one certainly.

4 Likes

I need to start selling more 3D prints and save up money to do the following. :smiley:

In addition, this will be a good opportunity to start CADding some 1/16 accessories and replacement parts to 3D print and sell as AM products.
I think M48 series will be good, too - Plus, Takom/AHQ does not have to start from scratch because they already have a good starting point with their 1/35 versions. We can only hope! :smiley:

7 Likes

I feel like the M151 would be next but won’t say no to a M48 also.

I will probably get this kit for my Marine collection.

1 Like

1/16th M113 - Yes, please
Problem, this will show up the scale difference between my 2 1/18th scale M113’s - about an inch smaller.
After market - T50 turret, DH132 CVC helmets (Post VN style), goggles - the start of a long list

Mal

2 Likes

I built the Tamiya version in 1/35 and it came out looking excellent.

in 1/16 scale, would look even better IMO. Been wanting to get my paws on the Takom 1/16 Willy’s MB and add it to my stable.

4 Likes

Like this? - M48 MBT – The Cold War Warrior – scratch built report - RC Tank Warfare community hobby forum -

Or this - 1/18th - M-48A3 Mod B Patton - US Army Vietnam - Build - RC Tank Warfare community hobby forum -

Mal

2 Likes

I had been hearing that this kit was coming! Nice to see that it will happen! With a service life from the early 60’s to today, and in so many variants and armies, the possibilities are hard to count. So many paint schemes, so many armament fits… the AM folks can have a field day with this one. I’ve been trying to resist 1/16, but this one has my name on it!

IMG_1098

5 Likes

Disqus Profile - heropsycho

3 Likes

Great news, as mentioned above, the M113 in 1/16 could be an entire industry in itself.

Well done, Andy, another winner.

4 Likes

Yup; the M113A1 base vehicle is just the start; do other vehicles, like the M163A1 VADS, the M577, the M106, the M132 “Zippo”, the M548A1, the M730A1… I could go on and on. :smiley:

2 Likes

Fixed it for ya, :wink: only because New Zealand used the turret, too.

Then there are the IDF, different marking options, vismods, etc etc

1 Like

Aah; Totally forgot our “digger” friends from Australia and New Zealand.

4 Likes