Another day at the office

Well, starting a new diorama. I was building a F-18G but I got bored of it (at least for now), so I decided to try a new diorama. After talking to some friends and thinking what to do with some Live Resin figures I have in the stash, I have decided to make a patrolling ODA in an Afghan ravine. In a quick search in the web I found that picture of a ravine somewhere in Afghanistan and I liked it.

I had to watch some videos to learn how to make those kind of rocks, and once I got some ideas, I went to a hardware shop and bought a piece of styrofoam and started to work on it. The main idea is to set some soldiers patrolling in the ravine on both sides of the river and some in the water. I was thinking about add some vehicle, but due to the dioramaā€™s size is almost impossible to place something bigger that an ATV (Iā€™m still thinking aboutā€¦)

The first step on the scenery was the river course so I started to hollow the course with a blade. I also applied cyano glue on the sides to make the rough appearance of the rock

Next step was to add the first height in the right side. I used the dremel to make some shapes in the foam and as before, cyano glue to carve the rock.

Viewing from above, I think I have to narrow the course in the turn as I see the courseā€™s shape very regular

At this time this is all I have done. First I will build the right side and then Iā€™ll move to the left. After that, I will add rocks and some more stuff into the course.

Hope you like it. Thanks for reading!!

Regards

10 Likes

Ambush valleyā€¦ Looking forward to see what you can do out of this :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So, will this be a diorama using ODA guys on horseback? (ODA-555/ODA-595 - TF Dagger); or will this be an ODA team on Toyota Hiluxes?

Task Force Dagger were the first US troops that hit Afghanistan weeks after 9/11, their exploits were written in the book ā€œHorse Soldiersā€ by Doug Stanton, that eventually became the movie ā€œ12 Strongā€, staring Chris Hemsworth and Michael PeƱa.

ODA-574 members with the future president of Afghanistan post invasion, Hamid Karzai.

4 Likes

I have read that book, and watched the film some times, but for now, itā€™s an ODA on feet patrol.

Adding a horse/donkey/mule was on my thoghts also, but this is a step I will decide as I advance with the diorama. The Hilux wonā€™t fit in the path, too big (and believe me Iā€™d love)

2 Likes

Youā€™re off to a great start Nacho. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Excellent start, standing by for more. :wink:

1 Like

Second height added. Top is not finished, as I donā€™t now yet if add a new height or not (ā€˜Nayā€™ is winning by now)

I have looking for a Hilux measures and definitely wonā€™t fit in the path.

Meanwhile, Iā€™m going to start the left side.

Regards!

2 Likes

I would add a figure in their general position, that will help the eye to know what way you should go.

2 Likes

Iā€™m certainly looking forward to it. Who says the vehicle has to be on land? How about an Apache flying overhead? They helped us out more than once in Paktika Province, which that somewhat resembles.

3 Likes

I did it before take the pictures, and I realized that the river is quite deep to a soldier on feet. Water reach at soldierā€™s waist level. But Rob gave me another ideaā€¦

2 Likes

So a Hilux in the riverā€¦ Yeah, I like it. I had not thought of thatā€¦

The overflying Apache is a non-go. Itā€™s 1/35 and just the Apache would be bigger than te diorama!! hahaha. I have something else in mind with an Apache, but not now yet.

1 Like

All right. Over the years Iā€™ve talked about this but I definitely need to make a video OF a video, since I donā€™t know how to post a twenty year old digital tape to Youtube. It features a Toyota in a river (albeit it not a Hilux but rather a Tacoma) AND an Apache. We were chasing a white Corrola full of 107mm rockets when an Apache flew overhead. Miracle of miracles, I was actually able to contact the base and was given their frequency. ā€œWidowmaker One Fourā€ responded back to me, turned around, and flew ahead looking for white Corollas, as we were at least fifteen to twenty minutes behind him. At one point I drove into a river, which days before had been a dried river bed, and the Tacoma stalled out. It drifted across to the other side - and started up! I wonā€™t spoil the surprise. Stay tuned - it may take me a day or two.
ā€™

3 Likes

Well, thinking about the Hilux, I got the measures and if Iā€™m not wrong, this is how it would look like

I think itā€™s still a bit big for the scene, unless Iā€™m wrong with the measures (I got 15cm x 5cm, 6in x 2in, at 1/35)

BTW, the first height in the left is almost done also. I ran out of cyano and I couldnā€™t finish it yesterday.

I will keep on thinking about the vehicleā€¦ Your advices are also very welcome

Regards!

2 Likes

My suggestion.
Remove the part to the left of the red line.
Cut along the yellow line and widen the creek bed by the same width as you removed on the left side.

This provides a little more space for the vehicle to maneuver along the creek and makes it easier to look into the diorama from the left. Both edges of the creek will still be there to give the viewer the impression of a narrow enclosure.
If the slope of the left bank continues all the way to the edge of the diorama the viewer can use his/her own imagination about how high the bank is. If you keep a flat section at the edges you tell the viewer exactly how high it is since you show the top.

4 Likes

Nothing says the Hilux has to be crossing the river. The first time I drove in the river I talked about, I used it as a road. If your river is shallow enough you can have the Hilux driving in the river, not crossing it.

3 Likes

Yeah, Rob. If I place the Hilux finally, it would be into the water, as you say, like if it were a road. Another chance I thinking about would be the Hilux entering into the water, but before I should make a slope in the river bank

Iā€™m thinking about it, Robin. Thnaks for your advice!

Iā€™m looking at my old videos right now. Unfortunately my labeling sytem doesnā€™t work well if I donā€™t put the digital tapes back in the cases and just toss them in my camera bag.
Brief side story - one of our ODAā€™s actually rolled a vehicle in a river and lost some very secure comms. Iā€™m not sure that wouldvā€™e happened with a gun truck so Iā€™m guessing it was one of our Tacomas.

2 Likes

Nice start Nacho , keep going !!!

2 Likes

Following Robinā€™s advice, I have made a wider course. I will cut the left mountain width tomorrow also.

Rob, one question. In that scenario, the riverā€™s bottom would be rocky or muddy?