Apocalypse Tank from CnC Red Alert 2

I snagged this kit at the IPMS Nationals last week and I’m going to shamelessly copy your paint scheme.

3 Likes

It’s a great kit- I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! I don’t mind you copying the paint scheme at all! I kind of copied it myself in a way- the red bits are mostly all from a video sequence in the game and the paint scheme is a sort of grey version of the NATO scheme.

3 Likes

Looks awesome! The color choices, tonal shading, detail brushing, highlights, and weathering looks stellar. I’m sure that the kit designers would be proud of creating this kit because you really nailed it. :grinning:

4 Likes

Very kind of you to say Peter, thanks :+1:!

3 Likes

Very nice build. I bought mine last summer and I had a few troubles with the tracks and the lights. I broke some small parts as well but managed to glue them back together. This was my first ever model assembled. Now after 1 year I want to finally paint it even though it is already assembled. I don’t have a airbrush, I bought simple brushes along with the paints. I do want to ask though, how do you turn on the lights if the board is inside the turret? Do you tap it from above because for me that doesn’t work.

3 Likes

First off Cosma, welcome to the forum! Secondly- thank you for taking the time to check out my build and for the compliments about it- much appreciated.

For your first model you chose a fairly complicated one in some respects. Both tracks and lights were probably the two problem areas of the whole build. Tracks can be a problem no matter the kit- there are several different ways tracks can come and they all have ways of tripping you up so don’t sweat if they don’t go smoothly- with some experience you will quickly get the hang of it and know what to watch out for.

Breaking bits is also one of those things- we all do it whether it’s your first kit or 100th! Most of us learned to paint models with a brush too- so go for it- and enjoy it.

And yeah the lights are supposed to come on by tapping the bit above where the circuit board is mounted. However- I noticed it was not all that responsive under the plastic- I guess it’s just the nature of the circuit board design. A switch of sorts on the outside would have been a much better option.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I guess I will have to deal with the lights as it is.

I will do my best to paint it. I was thinking of a camo but in a little square/block pattern. For the colors, I was I thinking one would be black (as to honor the original RA2 design), second would be white and then a little touch of light blue to match my country’s flag.

I have no idea what are the procedures of painting but I bought all kinds of paints just to be safe (Game color set with metallic and wash paints). I don’t know which one goes first but I know for sure that I finish with the metallic one to give off the metal aesthetic.

2 Likes

A block design sounds nice- as do the colors you have mentioned.

In terms of paint you should not use a wash paint first. This is typically for after painting (ideally after using a varnish but it’s not essential) and is a heavily thinned paint designed to ‘wash’ in around details and recessed areas to make the details pop out visually.

I wish you the best of luck with your painting and if you want any more advice/guidance feel free to ask here or on the main forums- people here are always happy to help.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. I will let you know if anything comes up.

2 Likes