Are you sticking to the Armorama forum solely or are you venturing out to the main forum page?

I’m starting to: Funny “Bandit” Trans Am - Autos | AutoModeler - KitMaker Network
Ken.

I start at the Armorama site and open any articles that look interesting then come to the forums. Where I don’t go anymore are the other non-Armorama sites.

That’s not really what this topic was about just to be clear. It’s strictly talking about how you are using the forum itself, not the content sites.

Not really sure what you and @VintageRPM are on about though. Moving between the content sites is exactly the same functionality as moving between the old sites, once you know how it works anyway.

Old sites = Click Browse… change site.

New sites = Click image and change sites. Logins aren’t needed on these sites unless you want to contribute, so it’s not even like you have to be logged in to use them.

Would it be of any benefit to make “KitMaker SCALE MODELING FORUMS” look like a clickable button (it already works like one). It would be nice if it was always visible at the top of the page even when I’m viewing a topic with many posts. Now I need to click the topic title to get to the first posts to be able to reach the “KitMaker SCALE MODELING FORUMS” - button.

@VintageRPM @loncray
I usually float around on the page in the image above and dive into whichever forum I feel like or simply check the latest posts regardless of which forum they are in.
The text/button marked in blue is always available, inside forums/subforums and when viewing a topic even if you have to click the topic title first or scroll back to the top to see it.

Perhaps yes. I mean … I always assume clicking a logo will take you back to the homepage but… I am a web designer/developer so… :slight_smile:

Also… this smaller logo/icon will do same:

Brilliant! Saves me one click.
I think it needs to be more obvious that the logo and other things are clickable.
The design needs improvement if the act of finding the door and its handle/latch prevents users from moving between forums … :wink:

1 Like

I could probably put a home icon frame around it to make the smaller one more obvious.

As noted above, I have started to, but I am still learning how everything works. The tips you guys have posted help.
Ken.

Back icons added to the logos in question. Hopefully that will help people realized they are clickable. I think they use the same image name though so you have to force refresh to see them anew.

Forced a refresh and see the little curved arrow

Mostly look at Armorama stuff, but if I see something else of interest, I look.

Mal

I still read the “front page” and the forums, for both this site and Aeroscale, as before, although I have to say the time that I spend on the front page has dropped considerably because of the seemingly increased number of video articles (I say “seemingly” since it’s quite possible the actual number hasn’t changed, it’s just that in the past the videos were in a separate area “above” the “News” etc).

It’s purely a personal thing. I just don’t like video content. A written article I can skim the “fluff” and get onto what I really want to know, videos just leave me cold - maybe I’m just too old and spent too much of that time on the net before video content, I don’t like being a passive consumer, having to watch the whole thing in the order the reviewer chose.

This isn’t a criticism that I’d level at Armorama any more than any other site - I get annoyed when Brett Green posts a video review of a new kit, promising a full written review which never appears, and pretty much every site I read seems to have gone video too. I now get most of my news directly via company Facebook pages and from the front page on Scalemates.

I know, it’s just me, but I thought you might want the feedback.

Al

3 Likes

Hi Al,
Thanks for that feedback. We have on a few occasions put something that was a video in both the video category AND the feature or review category, but that has been done pretty rarely so far. The videos for the most part on all the new sites are segmented off to the far right, pretty much as before.

I can appreciate your take on it though as many people don’t like the time it might take to view a full video. Of course my own take on Facebook (especially after deleting the bookmark from my nav bar a month or so ago) is that it also is a pretty intensive time suck. And I don’t mean regarding hobby related stuff, but I almost inadvertently get pulled into other topics that an hour later I am wondering “why am I here?”

Cheers,
Jim

1 Like

Aero Scale transplant here. I start from the Scale Model Forums page. Check my unreads list, then scan the new topics looking for interesting titles. :wave:

I stay in the forums 99.9% of the time. The few times I have ventured out into the main site the adblocking pop ups made life so unpleasant I left immediately.

Dave

2 Likes

Sorry… I have turned off all Google ads so the only ads being shown on Armorama or any of our content sites are our own in-house ads. Thus I really have no sympathy for people who don’t want to take 3 seconds to white list the domain via their ad blocker. I do this ALL THE TIME on other sites that have this policy, so I don’t see the problem.

If you don’t want to view Armorama… that’s up to you.

2 Likes

I mostly read everything on the site… meaning I spend a average of 3-4 hours every day on here! I dont mind though I really enjoy reading through all the awesome blogs on here. :grin:

(I’ve managed to to read the equivalent of 9 full days so far…) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I view the other sites about once a week. I am mostly a forum prowler.

1 Like

Oh, I totally agree on Facebook having the potential to be a time sink, but I keep my list of friends to 6 or 7, and almost all of the pages that I follow post one new item every few days at most, and anything the site “suggests” tends to get hidden Iit’s yet to suggest anything I was even remotely interested in - so much for their vaunted targeted advertising). So I probably spend about as much time just reading Aeroscale and Armorama - even without viewing videos - as on my teeny Facebook feed. I’ve also dropped the number of modeling related sites I read considerably. So it’s all quite streamlined, yet very few new releases slip by me.

1 Like

Probably 2 hours a day here. Tend to venture out 1 visit out 5.

1 Like