Arnhem Tiger II WIP

1944 - Arnhem
RAL7028 Dark Yellow RAL6003 Olive Green

Looks like you got your model already, but Dragon has a Porshe Tiger 2 with zimmerit molded on, maybe save yourself alot of work? It includes the markings and paint guide for your Arnhem King Tiger.

1 Like

@Whitewolf thank you that confirms everything i needed to know!

The Dragon Tiger kits with moulded Zimm are nice, if you need to add Zimm to a Tiger 2 I highly recimmend the ATAK zimmerit sets. They produce sets for individual kits, are an excellent fit and very realistic, particlarly scale wise! I’m using a set on Tamiya 1/16 KT and reckon its as close as i can get to the real thing.

1 Like

Off topic,

Do you know if ATAK is doing anything with 1/35 Tiger 1’s ? I have the DML 3 in 1 late Tiger and its non Zimm and I just cant face trying to do my own as it would be hideous … ?

Yes they do numerous 1/35 Tiger 1 sets. Google ATAK 1/35 Tiger 1 and numerous hits come up for various DML & Tamiya Tiger 1 kits

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for that :+1:

@Whitewolf inhave another Porsche tiger internet he stash that i may invest in some Atak zimmerit for. I want to try and use a putty method for zimmerit on this build. Hopefully it’s a success, i think by the end of this week I’ll have an idea of how it looks.

When you do the DIY job on this one, lots of idiot guide " how I did it" shots would be good for people (me :grin:) to see how to attempt it

Handy tip,i use ‘No more Nails’ to stick it on. It resembles pva, and takes 5 mins to set so you can manouvre the piece into place easily. Put a very thin coat on, and i mean thin, put the piece in place and gently apply all over pressure. The excess, if there is any will ooze out and can be wiped gently away with a damp piece of kitchen towel.

3 Likes

Funnily enough, a modelling friend of mine uses No-More-Nails as the Zimmerit, and gets excellent results too.

Sorry my fault, I’ve used loads of Zimm sheets before from Eduard and Cavalier… I meant when he does the putty version :+1::+1:

@Fernando hell yeah ive never seen this pic before but it shows the two tone camo and zimmerit!

@Fernando thats really interesting that it’s two tone, I find it interesting that they never added the third tone. Only other vehicle I’ve seen like that is the octopus Tiger and that was a one time thing.

@Fernando I found that photo on the internet too, a little better resolution.
Ken

1 Like

The Dragon King Tiger kit also calls for 2 tone camo…yellow and green, for the Arnhem tank.

1 Like

@Floridabucco yes, i always found it interesting that brown wasn’t added as well that late in 44

Well, think of the area at that time of year. The landings began on Sept. 17, late summer. Green foliage would be still quite prevalent for several more weeks and brown would not yet really need to be used in the camo scheme. The beauty of unit applied schemes is that it allowed for maximum flexibility to match local conditions, as opposed to one size fits all factory applied schemes.

2 Likes

@Stikpusher i was always under the impression that three tone camo was the standard, didn’t realize they were able to deviate from that.

No, the initial 1943/44 three tone was quite variable. The vehicles came from the factory in Dark Yellow. Units were issued the Red Brown and Olive Green paints to apply as needed to best match local conditions. Camo schemes were applied by the units using a variety of methods. Two tone schemes of red brown and dark yellow or Olive green and dark yellow were used in addition to three color schemes. It all depended upon paints and time available, not to mention local conditions. In fall 1944, factory applied camouflage was re introduced.

3 Likes

@Stikpusher thank you for this information i honestly had no idea. I was always under the impression that units had to have a three tone camo but this makes more sense now. Thank you once again!

1 Like