Here’s the latest! Let there be lights!
After I glued on the headlights/searchlights, I proceeded to scratchbuild brush guards. OKB Grigorov has a photoech detail set for T-55/54. Included in the set is a brush guard for the headlights. I used the measurement from the set as reference. That way, there is uniformity on the sizes. I then built the brush guards for the lights on the fenders.
On the top deck, there is a platform for a cylindrical light. I observed this in my WWP reference book. Using the measurements from the brush guards, I then scratchbuilt the platform using spare photoetch frets. BTW, this picture shows the OKB brushguard (on the glacis) next to the scratchbuilt brush guard on the fender. Since OKB is photoetch, it is flatter compared to the ones I made from brass wires. But, because I used the OKB for reference, you can also see how comparable the dimensions are.
Additional railings to protect the cylindrical light came from 1/350 ship railing set. Somewhat visible is the cylindrical light I fashioned from clear sprues.
And now for the navigation lights. I got these from OKB Grigorov’s Rear-lamps for soviet tanks set. I first cut some frets from the spare photo etch sets. I then bent them intoform.
I glued the bent brass on to my thinnest plastic cards and then trimmed off the excess.
I then glued the OKB lamps on to the mounts that I scratchbuilt. Measurements were eyeballed. They look about right to me.
Here they are attached to the fenders.
And finally, I wanted to improve the kit supplied rear navigation lights. That way, the rear lights match those on the front fenders. I used the lights from OKB set plus some more spare photoetch frets bent into shape. Here are side by side comparison of my scratch built rear light next to the resin one.
Those details are now done! It was quite an enlightening experience.
Thanks for reading through the post!