Aussie M113SA3

A friend wants to build this Aussie version, assuming of course that is the correct version for East Timor use.

I know Aussies are different but nothing else to help build a modern version, what say y’all.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be too complicated with the M113AS3…

An AFV CLub M113A1 kit will be more than adequate.

Is when you try to build the M113AS4, that you will run into some challenges.

2 Likes

Yeah that extra road wheel and length is more difficult. With the bolted on armor(?), one could hide the some of the construction mess but probably not that easy.

1 Like

The way Dragon release their IDF M113 kit, it would be possible, since it’s in separate parts, unlike most other kits, which is the tub along with the front glacis and top.

2 Likes

The AFV Club kit is a good starting point. The Aussie M113AS3 version has been updated to M113A2 engine and gearbox. The biggest external difference is the intake grills and exhaust on the top front of the hull. The exhaust is a half-square pipe with a flapper on top and a square metal guard, as opposed to the round tube on an A1 (AFV Club).

M113A2 top deck and exhaust

2 Likes

You could farm that part from the Academy M113A1 or M113A3. (Parts B4 and B41).

3 Likes

What about starting with the Tamiya M113A2 for M113SA3?

1 Like

The Tamiya Kits still relly on the old early Vietnam era M113 gasoline kit hull; Academy makes one with the update suspension layout of the M113A2.

Lower hull on the Tamiya M113 kits, with suspension arms molded into the hull; found on the M113, M113 ACAV, M113 FSV, M106, M577 and M113A2.

Lower hull on the Academy M113 kits, with separate suspension arms. This one is typical of their kits, including their M113A1 ACAV, all their IDF kits along with the M113A2 and M113A3 Iraq 2003.

2 Likes

Just so I am clear, Tamiya M113A2 is no go but the Academy M113A2 is ok to use???

I thought they were the same or is that only for molds with suspension arms molded on.

1 Like

Which is the best 1/35 M113 kit in the market? - Missing-Lynx (tapatalk.com)

there’s still some details on the Academy kit that aren’t 100% accurate, like the fuel cell for example (which can be fixed with the resin fuel cell from Elefant Corp.), but out of all the kits, the Academy one is probably the best of the whole lot.

2 Likes

Right now, the Academy M113A1 Vietnam and M113A3 Iraq 2003 are readily available, and Eduard makes a variety of PE for them.

I built both kits and they’re pretty much the same kit, except of the plastic color they’re molded in and the M113A3 kit comes with additional parts, like stowage racks that go on the sides. They’re good base kits for other variants.

This M113A3 Zelda was built using a combination of Academy, Tamiya and Dragon M113 parts with the upper hangers made from styrene rod.

This M113A3 ACAV is 100% OOB from the Academy kit.

You can use the Academy lower hull with the updated suspension and then use everything else from Tamiya. I prefer to just use the Academy m113A3 as a base for everything because it offers the most amount of versatility.

Tamiya uses the same lower hull on all their M113 kits. Academy went a different way by molding the suspension arms separate of the lower hull.

3 Likes

What time frame for Timor. There are a differences in the vehicles as time went by.

All would have the filter on the upper hatch, most the rectangular tail light assemblies:

The protection on the front indicator light was a wire ‘mesh’ on some and an external housing on others, etc.

4 Likes

You can probably get those done in 3D. You can find the extra bits for the M113AS4 on Shapeways (and pay a hefty price for them).

2 Likes

Not all had the upgrade Gino:

even the later AS4 has the curved pipe:

3 Likes

Am I correct that the turret has changed a little from the Vietnam version?

1 Like

Interesting that some kept the old exhaust. Good to know.

1 Like

The original Cadilac-Gage T-50 turret used in the Vietnam War version could hold two .30 cal MGs or a single .50 and .30, but the newer one is just a hair different.

Newer

Older

1 Like

Interesting.

And this:

And they both have the T150? Tracks.

1 Like

No the AS4 has Diehl 513B tracks. These have been fitted to Aussie cars for quite a while:

Drive sprockets on the AS4:

Available in 1/35th scale. Reviewed here:
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/psm/psm113.htm

3 Likes

Thanks.
I stand corrected. Look close, but not the same.

1 Like