Australian Army's Land Rover Defender Vehicles

I have several photos of Land Rover Defenders in Australian service.
These clearly show the current camouflage schemes, but I am not sure
what the interior colours would be. Any suggestions?

Paul

Normal internal colour on UK ones are the same as the green on the external 2 tone cam … as it’s the base colour and sprayed at source I would imagine the Aus ones are the same ?

Johhny01,

Thanks for that info.
Of course, while some of the LR Defenders in Australia are from UK sources,
I understand that others are actually manufactured in Oz, commonly referred
to as ‘Perenties’. Maybe the interiors of these are also painted green (a lighter
shade, as per the exterior colour).

Paul

1 Like

My bad for reading and looking to fast, didn’t even see the 3 tone cam lol, and I meant Aus rovers in the reply, was just using UK as an example… If the Aus ones use the green as the base colour I would of expected it to be on the inside as well ?

There you go Paul.

Metal areas are the base green. Same as UK rovers, also, don’t forget a big part in the cab is made up of black plastic facias and black door cards, most have black rubber matting on the floor etc etc .

Image was from this site…

https://www.milweb.net/webvert/a1386

Hope that helps a bit

1 Like

Johnnych01,

Brilliant!
I am planning to build a couple of these variants in 1/76 scale,
as I am a dedicated Braille Scale modeller. You may be wondering
where I could possibly source a decent LR Defender in this scale …
actually, Oxford Diecast offer a fairly decent diecast version, which
will be the basis for my conversion.
I have used these in earlier projects, as shown in the attached images.

Paul

2 Likes

Bloody hell, was that you at the Penzance show ??

IPMS UK South West - Penzance

It was me who was amazed by the Ch driver trainer tank and the BATUS Sultan with penthouse

Johnnych01,

Thanks for the compliment … yes that was me.
I am travelling up to the Yeovil Show on Sunday,
so if you are there, I would love to catch up with
you again.

Paul

Very good models. Not my scale because too little.

I especially like your Land Rover Snatch. Did you make your own camouflage net ? It looks very convincing :+1:

Terminator,

Many thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the vehicle is partially covered with the ‘Barracuda Camouflage System’ (produced by the Swedish company, SAAB). As you may be aware, this is not a net as such, but a series of perforated sheets designed to reduce the vehicle’s thermal signature. 1/35-scale modellers have the luxury of commercially available ‘Barracuda’ camouflage sheets. We Braille Scale enthusiasts have to come up with an alternative. I found the easiest method was to apply very thin layers of DAS Pronto air-drying clay to the relevant surfaces, and create the impression of perforations using the end of a small-diameter metal tube. As you can see from the photograph of the Oxford Diecast model, I also had to scratch-build the other features around the vehicle.

Glad you liked the result.

Paul
Land Rover Defender (Oxford Diecast)

1 Like

Sadly I am on duty Sunday so wont be able to get up for this one. Hope the show is as good as last time and there is a good turn out for it … Thats a clever way to do the barracuda on the side of the Rover. Looks very realistic.

Yes I know MCS Barracuda is not a simple net, but panels designed for the vehicle and fixed on the outside with velcro pads.

I have made the Snatch Land Rover conversion from Blackdog in 1:35 scale.

1 Like

Terminator,

Lovely job there!
Looking at it, not very different from my version … just bigger.

Paul

1 Like

Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Bit late to the party, but you might like these.
Took them at Richmond AB outside Sydney in 1988 at the Bicentennial airshow

Mal

2 Likes

Mal,

Excellent photos, particularly with the close-up of the tilt canvas camo scheme.
I also gather that some of the vehicles had this area camouflaged in what has
been referred to as ‘jellybean’ pattern. I’m not sure whether the two schemes
are era related.

Paul

Hi Paul
Interesting pattern, not seen it before, so don’t know if it’s related or not.
Blew it up for a better view

Mal

Mal,

Here are a more images of the camo scheme, together with a jacket with the same pattern.
Could it be that these are Air Force vehicles, given that they are parked up at what appears
to be an air show? Maybe they adopted a different scheme for canvas cover.

Paul

1 Like

I had a neighbour who had a Ex-Aussie Army Land Rover "Perentie’ 6x6 he kept the original pait job and modified for Turing the outback, very similar to this one,i think was a ambulance when in service

Hi Clement
That does appear to be DCP - Disruptive Camouflage Pattern, AKA Auscam/Jellybean/Bunny Ears.
That was standard uniform pattern throughout the ADF for a quite a while.
I’m not an expert on Aus kit, so don’t know which service these belonged to.
Normal canvas tends to deteriorate over time, so if a vehicle has a long service life, it’s likely to go through a number of replacements - that may be the case here?

Mal