B17 resupply Airfix build log

Even without the B-17 these are really impressive! :blush:

Hi Russelle
Yeah very neat kit as a whole, not looked at the B17 yet but if the vehicles are anything to go by that should be good too.

Pete

Vehicles finished, cush cart needs semi Matt varnish. Cockpit is more or less completed. Starting the bomb bay interior next.

Pete

3 Likes

So I have completed the cockpit, and now the bomb bay area. Work is now turned to the radio room.
I have added a door to the cockpit, and will do so for the opening between the bomb bay and the radio room.

Pete

3 Likes

Some more work done on the B17G
I opened up the door for the officers entrance

I made a new door and this will obviously be open when complete.
I have done considerable work on the interior which is very detailed in the Airfix kit
adding doors to the interior between each section. Picture of cockpit shows door opening inwards to cockpit. I have rectified this as they opened into the bomb bay.

Then I inseinserted the whole interior into the port side of the fuselage after spraying aluminium.
That’s it for now, but hope to get some more done over next few days.

Pete

2 Likes

Great progress Pete!

Super detailing! :slight_smile:

Thanks Russell

1 Like

i’ve only ever done 1/35 and 1/42, and to see that you have detail as good as mine on a 1/35, thats pretty amazing.

Thanks for the kind comments Logan. It does help when the kit has a good level of detail and this kit is a great one to build. I would recommend.
I did some more work on the B17 today. The port wing is mostly complete, the engines need finished and undercarriage for that side.

The ffuselage is together and interior mostly done with the ball turret added.

Should get some more done over next few days.
I must finish my 1/48 F3 Tornado for display campaign.

Pete

1 Like

The size of just that one wing is intimidating… Gonna be big with both on! :+1:

Yeah it will be a good size Russell. The fit is superb the way they have used the spars that run through the fuselage.

Pete

1 Like

All of it is looking great so far Peter and love all the little extra details your’e adding. I was going to ask about those spars, so they are an Airfix part with the kit ? very accommodating of them … nice touch.

Yes Jonnie that is all part of the kit. It runs through the bomb bay and incorporates the bulk heads between the bomb bay and the radio room and cockpit.
Thanks for the comments

Pete

Wings completed and installed.

Engines built and added and cowls added. I have built and painted the landing gear, but I will add them at the end of the build. This is the only deviation from the instruction really, next will be all the glazing and then paint, and decals. I will take some pictures of the wing roots unbelievably tight and very little filler needed.
Hope to get paint on it tomorrow.

Pete

4 Likes

Looks great… And big !! I was thinking about getting it, but storing might be an issue. Are the engines all from the kit or any extra bits ? They look really nice. Enjoying watching this come to life. Will it an overall green finish ?

No all as per the kit Jonnie. And yes it will be a dirty used look olive drab

Pete

Well today I managed to get 90% of the build on the B17 done. Only a few things to add, but they will go on after painting. Glasing to be masked and then a pre shade hopefully tomorrow.
Here is the B17 pics from today.

It’s a big bird!

Pete

5 Likes

Big … but very impressive Peter. Once you get the vehicles involved it will bring it all to life. I have a feeling it’s going to look great.

Thanks Jonnie, as I say hope to get some paint on it today, and see how it goes

Pete

Pete, You’re gonna need a lotta paint :wink: