B17 resupply Airfix build log

It was not too bad actually Russ. Its painted now and a gloss coat on. Once its dry I will start on the decals

UnderUnderside

Camo coat on

Final coat on the bare metal

And gloss varnished.

Pete

2 Likes

Looking great Pete, nice to know it builds up really well.
This one, specifically the RAF boxing, is high on my wish list.
Incidentally I have this build article of Revells 1/48 saved as a reference for weathering. And as a reminder to myself on what to do. In particular the builders point about weathering around the upper wing air vents is one to note.

Hope it helps.

Hi Phantom Phanatic
Thanks for that much appreciated.
Yeah this is a really nice kit. One big bare… the fuselage at the front incorporates the clear areas for the windows. Whilst great in helping to keep the area much larger to work with . The down side is it is very hard to notice any join issues until paint goes on. But other than that I would build another. I have Airfix Hellcat in 1/24 scale. I am itching to start it.

Pete

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I did wonder how well those glazed areas fitted. Wonder if Gunzes Mr Surfacer would help there?
I can see why they have done it. The windows on the side of the nose did vary a lot between different versions of the Fortress. I’m fully expecting other versions to be released. Revell did the same thing allowing an F and G to be made from the same basic mould.

The side glazing is the only area that on my kit at least, has left a slightly larger panel line on one side. I will live with it. As I said until you paint it you cant see the gap. If it bugs me I may try some paint mixed in my putty and paint it in the gap. Once the gloss has dried it will take some fine sanding.

I saw the RAF version it looks tidy, and I would build another now given the opportunity.

Pete

Wow! Very quick progress on the paint…

Interesting to see the port wing in BMF: what’s the story behind that? :cowboy_hat_face:

Not sure Russ. It is what is in the instructions and I have done a bit of research and Airfix markings and paint call outs are spot on. Thunder Mug was lost in action I believe.

Might get a few decals on tomorrow.

Pete

1 Like

Done some more research and apparently the port wing was shot up at the wing root on a sortie. The ground mechanics replaced the wing with a salvaged spare from a bare metal B17. As these crews needed to get back in the air asap the wing didnt get painted.
Interesting. This was a reasonably common occurrence.
There was a few Thunder Mug B17s, this one was lost 12/12/1944

Pete

3 Likes

Amazing what those brilliant erks could achieve on the ground in those days…:cowboy_hat_face:

I bet the same level of resourceful maintenance just wouldn’t be possible with the complicated planes in use today :thinking:

Yeah I cant see them swapping a wing on a F-35 …mind you not many scrap ones spare at the min🤣

1 Like

That’s a real contrast in colour between the green and silver. And I have never seen a pic of any repairs like that so it was really interesting to find that out about salvaged parts. Nice research :+1:

Here’s a famous example of another similar 1:1 “kitbashing” :

Here’s the belly landing mentioned in the caption above :

H.P.

2 Likes

Nice find Frenchy :+1:

I hope the ball turret gunner got out before that landing :scream:

Pete

2 Likes

There was another one I found called combined operations, she had a fuselage join the same as little mischief.

An update on the B17 Thunder Mug with resupply.
I have completed the painting and weathering, I still have the black to paint on the leading edges.

Decals are on here and a coat of satin to seal.

Here all the equipment is on the base which has yet to be done.
Here are the props with decals and a satin coat

Here is the B17 with the weathering started. Also the masks have been removed

And again weathering done and a mock up on the base.
That’s all for now.

Pete

4 Likes

Wow, that is an absolute monster… It looks fantastic. Love the colour and contrast between the salvaged wing and the rest of the aircraft. You’ve done a cracking job all round Pete. The additional vehicles will really make the Dio alive. Great work

Wow that looks great! The sad thing is I cant like it more then once…

Lol once is fine by me and thanks for the comments.
Some work to do but its getting there.
Pete

1 Like

Okay final finished the B17 and resupply.
Here is the base with paint

And added grass to the edges to break up the grey

And finally all glued in place

Thanks for checking in and following this build.
I would highly recommend the kit, my only issue and it isn’t a major problem was the glazing for the guns at the front,as it incorporates the fuselage. Airfix kits have come such along way in recent years and I thoughly enjoyed this one.
Next up is the Grumman F6 F Hellcat in 1/24 scale. It’s on the bench !

Pete

4 Likes