Badger Stynylrez is Complete Garbage (Rant Warning)

Hmmm, so I’m not much the wiser – I don’t think anyone’s said the actual finish of AB primers is any better, whatever “better” might mean. I get Tony/mudlark’s point that getting primer into complex/tight areas is better done with an AB, although pre-assembly priming/painting ought to reduce that problem if not eliminate it. And OK cost might be an issue too, although convenience with an ideal result attached usually beats price considerations for me – provided it’s within acceptable budget of course.

Each to their own - personal preferences aren’t a hanging offence…not quite yet anyway.

If it’s any help there may be one alternative worth considering. I try to dodge the issue altogether like Damon, so I only ever use primer if it’s a plane or car that does need a perfect finish. But if it’s any type of military vehicle to receive normal weathering/dings/stains/mud/dust etc, attempting a perfect finish seems pointless to my mind. I just give it two coats of flat steel lacquer, followed by several thin coats of cheap-artists-acrylic paint of slightly differing shades with (purists look away now) a medium-sized soft paintbrush. I can control that better than any kind of spraying, and no brush-marks remain after a couple of coats. (Edit - and by the way saves me a fortune in masking tape) When dry, a gentle fine sanding on edges/wherever takes off the acrylic easy leaving the steel beneath which can be either left or corroded as desired e.g.…

:tumbler_glass:

1 Like

I use them as well. I also use the Mr. Surfacer rattle cans as well. I never had an issue.

Never used it, almost always use Mr Surfacer thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner. The more toxic the chemicals the better the painting experience.

But, a couple of posts above say that water based paints and alcohol don’t mix - I don’t think that’s true, if it was then whiskey and soda would be a problem, and you wouldn’t be able to add both water and alcohol to Tamiya paints.

The gunk the OP glibble ended up with was the result of mixing water based paint with lacquer thinner, something I have experienced myself, after confusing Hataka red (water based) for Hataka orange (lacquer) - not the most contrasty colours to me.

Also, what’s that name about, Stynylwhatever… I still cant remember how to spell it…

3 Likes

Water is always water (depends a bit on what Your nearest water purification facility has dosed it with, chalk is often present)
Thinner can be a LOT of different things. Some “thinners” will turn Tamiya into gunk, some cheap white spirits will turnHumbrol into gunk after a few weeks.
Alcohol loves water BUT paints that like water may not necessarily be “alcoholics”.
Enamels and oils are relatively simple products compared to acrylics and acrylic isn’t one single product either.
Oh, by the way, ethanol is only one of many alcohols. IPA is another and they have different properties.
Methanol is another alcohol, we humans can consume ethanol (causes long term damage but nobody lives forever) while methanol is toxic.

Chemically, as described by Alcohol | Definition, Formula, & Facts | Britannica
" alcohol, any of a class of organic compounds characterized by one or more hydroxyl (―OH) groups attached to a carbon atom of an alkyl group (hydrocarbon chain). Alcohols may be considered as organic derivatives of water (H2O) in which one of the hydrogen atoms has been replaced by an alkyl group, typically represented by R in organic structures."

1 Like

Humbrol and balsam turpentine works though.
I managed to salvage one of the jellied Humbrol tins by diluting it with balsam turpentine.

Mr finishing Surfacer 1500 is maybe the best out there, but two negative points-it is lacquer and dries pretty quick in the pot, even tightened.
For acrylic, matte primer, I switched to GSW matte primers-very easy to use and surprisingly durable-need pretty hard scratching to damage it.
Regards!

Ah, the scurge of the junior scale modeller…

1 Like

Yep!
I turned that Midnight Blue tin to jelly back in 1979 and then resurrected it sometime after 1995.

1 Like

Well, I’m relieved, at least I now know it’s not just me who has these!

QFT - Quoted For Truth

I also believe that some acrylic paint formulas are pretty temperature sensitive. Some for example if exposed say a :cold_face: freezing temperature will break down and react poorly later after being returned to room temperature. In other words, storage & transport temperature can have effect under certain conditions. So a model builder could do everything correctly and on occasion have bad experience with quality paints.

Of course the modeler should use compatible thinners etc

As for Badger funny named primer, many have good results, no direct experience because …Floquil Military & Floquil RailRoad Forever…wink

3 Likes

I’ve started using SMS paints from Australia. They have a couple of primers (black, white, grey). These spray superbly without thinning, although they thin well (and clean up) with Tamiya x20 thinner or laquer thinner. Theyre really good for the hot humid climate here in Queensland

Er… that’s three… :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, but that just makes them a frisky couple…

1 Like

throuple.

STYNYLREZ? first thought is that one of the new Marvel super heroes no one cares about?

1 Like

Nah, the latest minority group in the UK to claim that they’re being oppressed and demanding equal rights.

2 Likes

I’ll never use any water based primer again. I have tried many over the years and not one of them has the “bite” to really stay on the plastic or resin. Lacquer based primers like AK, MRP, Gunze brand or the rattle can are superior to any water based primer. I have heard that Stynylrez is supposedly a good primer much like Mission Models paints or the “One Shot” primers from Mig. But again, it is water based and not even remotely adhesive as a lacquer based primer.

1 Like

4 Likes

Oh God - don’t! The state of my poor benighted country at the moment!

Yours and mine both….