Bandai B-Wing Build. Built!

Made a mix with 1 part deck tan, 1 part white and 1 part clear gloss. Thinned about 70% thinner and some panels highlighted and an overall covering.

The plan is to now go in with some heavy weathering now and then bringing it together with a mist coat of a very light grey. This is all new to me and I hope it all works out in the end, but it has been a workout for the old airbrush skills, no masks used yet.

Cheers, Jim.

6 Likes

Every time I pick my very cheap and cheerful airbrush up I’m on a learning curve lol … B wing looks good how its coming together.

2 Likes

Thanks John. Yeah, the airbrush is just one big never ending learning curve!

Started on the next new to me method. AK Rubber black mixed 50:50 with retarder and applied by brush to edges of selected panels, details etc. Then I use water to blend it across the panel and around parts.

I’m enjoying learning new techniques, this one is quite Zen.

Left wing in pic has “wash” applied. This will be covered with the mist coat of very light grey next.

Cheers, Jim.

5 Likes

I’m loving the progress you are making on this kit, it looks amazing.

1 Like

Thanks David.

It’s my first build of a Bandai Star Wars kit and I’m very impressed with it. Normally I would use enamels or oils but with all the reports of stress fractures when using thinners I’m being extra careful so using the acrylics and water.

Thanks again, Jim.

Thinking of Star wars …I had better get my butt in gear and decide what I’m getting for the Alternative cam scheme group build…

1 Like

Yeah, you need to see what is available out there, Bandai stuff is thin on the ground just now. I’m still going to do the at-st I have in the stash I think.

1 Like

I think I’m going to be doing the same … Just need to get one sourced now

1 Like

There’s one on eBay just now from a uk seller, but who knows where the price will go. Don’t see any available retail in uk… at-at is but can’t see at-st anywhere.

1 Like

@iwatajim yes I can confirm that enamel thinners can cause issues on bandai kits, I found that out the hard way.
if you are going to use them it is critical you glue all the parts together to help reduce this problem.
looking forward to seeing more progress soon Jim.

2 Likes

Thanks @Klaus-Adler, I shall be extra careful for sure.

The rubber black panel shading is done. I have mostly left the parts that will be blue. This took about four or five hours all in. Some panels are a lot more grubby than others, but I like the inconsistency of it.

Might have a look at the cockpit and pilot next. I’m quite apprehensive about the mist coat, it would be very easy to go too far and loose all the work done so far…

Cheers, Jim.

7 Likes

Thats looking awesome Jim!

1 Like

I’m loving the look so far and I think you should leave off the mist coat as it looks real good right now.

1 Like

Glad I got one when I did. They are getting harder to find and the prices are rising now. The only new release from Bandai is a rebox of the 1/72 X-wing, but as Round 2 just got a Star Wars license maybe they will put out a B-wing (and some of the missing 1/72 items like a TIE bomber or Vader’s shuttle).

1 Like

Looks great Jim. The individual panels really stand it nicely, you’ve done a job there … I’m with David on the mist coat, but if you do,… Go very light

1 Like

Thanks Ezra @Panzer_modeler, David @Klaus-Adler and John @Johnnych01, that’s awfy nice of you! I know what you mean, but it looks darker than the pics show, and it will be a light coat, almost a tinted clear coat, so most of what I’ve done should be visible. I will be using similar weathering techniques over the final grey colour using various colours and tones. I guess I just want to follow through on Mr Moore’s process and see if I can replicate and learn from each step. I can start on the bottom of the wings and make a final decision then.

Yeah @brekinapez, the prices they are going for now are ridiculous, I was very lucky to get mine for less than £40 Sterling each. I’m just hoping the revell Germany reboxes of the Y and A wing arrive here without any import shenanigans!

Thanks again all, I’m enjoying this one, very stimulating trying out new things without the old abrams to take the strain!

1 Like

That poor Abrams! :laughing:

1 Like

Nice modulation/shading. Tough to pull off using such light colors without looking too overdone and or artificial, :+1: :+1:

1 Like

@brekinapez where did you hear about round 2 getting a star wars licence?

1 Like

The 2021 news video they put out.
2021 Model Kit Update - Round 2 - YouTube at the 5:45 mark.

2 Likes