BATUS Chieftain Mk10 Stillbrew & CVRT Spartan Range Safety

I was thinking about that yellow Spartan Don mentioned, and someone else mentioning a yellow 432, …I had never seen anything yellow but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there… I’m just can’t figure out who’s ride it would be or what it would be for…
The only yellow vehicle I have ever seen (and me and a fellow GW commander called Jay Lochrane repainted it) was the furthest hard target on the Swingfire range at Otterburn. It was an old Sherman hard target about 3800m from the firing point… Right at the limit of of firing …and the last tgt we would engage on our shoots…

It could be that the colour looked yellow due to conditions… ar maybe not…

Yellow FV 432 - painted for paintball:

1 Like

Definitely a lighting condition… Looks normal desert colour with sun shining from an angle … Maybe that’s all it was for the 432 reported one … ??

2 Likes

This may help from another site,

Hi!
A guy called Robin Craig stated this about range safety vehicles at BATUS:

We have a CVR(T) Spartan that was all over yellow. There were some all ove red FV432s and some Warrior IFV as well

Robin is still posting in the HMFV forum, last post a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it is a chance to ask him in the HMFV is forum…

Andreas

1 Like

Last time I was there in 2003, end of Sept to beginning of Dec as supplementary Range safety SNCOs with about 15 other HCav SNCOs. most of the safety wagons were I think white ford or dodge pick ups with red roofs (and I think doors) with C/Ss on the doors. Secondary safety wagons were land rovers with either a complete red canvas or a red rear hard top cargo area. There were also several all red Warriors.

Dry brushed some Tamiya Dark iron over the exhaust elbows. Will use MIG black soot pigment on the insides and a very very gentle touch of light rust pigment in a few areas of the elbow.

7 Likes

What colour are you going with for Spare track links,

1 Like

Frank, I am particularly happy you asked that question … And I will be more than happy to answer it… Once I have prized the spare links off … And refitted them the right way up lol… Damn it !!! How the hell did that happen… I hope no one else see’s this post lol…:grin::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Something I just found that would go with crew

1 Like

They look detailed in that image, the only thing I can see is they would need a dynamic scene as the face expressions are pretty emotive… They could be good for a combat scene

They have headphones on, they could be listening to the radio and could be singing along to some Heavy Rock … or they could be yelling at the operator to turn off Buck’ s Fizz… :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

And Frank… The paint colour is …

It’s just flat black, which I will run a thin wash of Mig track rust over.

You could easily get away with leaving them green or black on a Non BATUS wagon as they did get painted over, and I would bet money on them being over painted in BATUS as well on a few wagons…

5 Likes

Quick shot of how it will finally look with the turret set at that sort of angle due to the resin warp which is still present.

Still have a fair bit of detailing painting to do and some areas to touch up. Also need to scratch the rear mounts for the tow ropes as the AA ones only come with the front ones but that should be fairly easy and quick to do. Also going to scratch the turret range markers to show red for live firing and a green one for guns clear, I have a feeling there were yellow and a white but can’t recall for sure…
Also need to see if I have anything in the spare decal box that’s yellow and small enough to pass for the stencil on the Comds GPMG ammo box.

6 Likes

You’ve done a real bang-up job on this kit John. You would never know it was a “mercy build”. You’ve put so much talent and experience into it, she looks pristine. No flaws at all. Beautiful build. :beer:

1 Like

Thanks Matt, and for all its issues ( which were in fairness down to age and time frames of available references like we have today) it has been a nice and really enjoyable build. It was also good to finally work with resin and I learnt a fair bit from that.

There is still a way to go, but the end is sight for this ride then I can rework the Spartan into a range safety wagon :+1::+1:

1 Like

Hi Johnny,

whould you mind painting the bore evacuator white and the vertical stripe on the rear bazooka plate? WHould look nice though…

Your build looks really nice! very well done!

Andreas

1 Like

Johnny
I did the same mistake with the spare tracks. Fortunately the gun travel lock wouldn’t rest properly so I noticed the mistake.

Olivier

1 Like

But I was crewed on it lol… believe me Olivier, it makes me feel a whole lot worse…:grin:

1 Like

Stay tuned Andreas, you never know :thinking: