BATUS Chieftain Mk10 Stillbrew & CVRT Spartan Range Safety

Now, a friend of mine very kindly let me have a kit he had built of a CVRT Spartan.
It’s from a company I had not heard of before until I saw a build of one in the forum’s in the beginning of the year, Cromwell.
It’s a resin kit and I have to say, the kit and how it looks with detailing and the key areas is fantastic.

It even comes with a nice crew area inside and with some basic scratch building you could easily get a really nice interior if you wanted to.

I was going to repaint NATO black and green, but I thought about it and am now thinking of a new approach…

I’m thinking of repainting below where the hull sponson plate would be in BATUS sand and green in slightly different tones to the Stillbrew, and from the hull sponson line upwards painting it red to turn it into a BATUS range safety redtop vehicle.
Now I am not 100% sure they had redtop Spartans, (I think I may have seen one but can’t be certain), I know they had safety warriors painted Red , ferrets, and land rovers with red canvas or the rear of the hard top body painted red…but I thought it might look good on a little simple Dio base with just the BATUS plain grass with it sat next to my Mk10…

5 Likes

Johnny,

This old Mapleleaf Up thread alleges there was a Yellow Spartan. Don’t see why you couldn’t have a read one.

Sadly no pic but there’s a cool looking OPFOR version too.

1 Like

I think I will grant myself some artistic licence…:grin:

Cromwell was a cottage manufacturer business run by Gordon Brown out of Glasgow. Had lots of issues almost a decade ago and customer service was abysmal. Many modelling sites have threads about the issues. There was a post on the old Armorama site about how he said was going to turn it around, but it never happened.

I heard he got sick and stopped the business, but that may just be rumour, as illness in the family was a common reason he gave for not responding to emails re people not receiving what they paid for. Most likely his lack of aftercare killed off his customer base.

Hope you enjoy refurbishing it John.

1 Like

Nice job on the white lines. They are the reason why I didn’t want to paint the BATUS scheme to my Chieftain mk11.
The Spartan looks great too. Enjoy refurbishing it.

Olivier

1 Like

Thanks to John and Frank for taking the time explaining the purpose of the ‘white arc’ lines, much appreciated chaps, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G :beer:

1 Like

That Spartan is a nice acquisition John. Cromwell models are extremely fine kits if you can get your hands on them. I have 4 in the stash. Enjoy having the pain of resin building done for you. Have fun with the kit and paint it up any way you like! :beer:

1 Like

Thanks @petbat for the info about the firm :+1:

From my time in BATUS I remember the nets being like a vey fine nylon hessian type material attached to the usual nylon string backing net. You needed two for the tank, typically one would be rolled up and stuffed around the front of the glacis and the other rolled and laid across the NBC pack and around the sides of the baskets and secured with D10. That may have changed in the following years as my last time in Canada was in "92. You can see the front one in the pic below.

2 Likes

Just as an interest thing, this makes me sad :sob:

Hard targets BATUS

Thanks for the explanation,I was already wondering why the white straight lines …

1 Like

Still see people getting Cromwell Models kits in the Modern British Armour SIG on Facebook but it’s only braille scale and the recipients are all in UK from what I know.

I only actually remember using cam nets out there if we broke down…and even then it just looks daft… It’s like big massive tank hiding under a not very effective net in the middle of the plain lol…
That hard target link didn’t show me anything Max ?? Just niff naff and trivia posts …

No probs G, always good to explain stuff :+1:

That’s bizarre, I just clicked it and it took me straight to the page. Maybe it’s cached on my machine. Anyway here are the pics on that link.

2 Likes

Now I’m sad too :frowning::cry:

Hi Johnny,
really nice idea with that BATUS Spartan! Well, what is said here of Cromwell models, is all absolutely correct. They do have the worst reputation of all resin manufactorers in Europe.

That kit came out well before Accurate Armour did theirs, it is probably around 40 years old. In that periode of time, Gordon did a good service at all and it really was possible to order from him without problems. He also had british braille scale armour in resin, of which I kept some vehicles of in my stash.

He earled his bad reputation in the later 90s… a really pity since he had nice 1/35 kits out.

Looking forward to seeing your BATUS dio!

Keep on with your excellent work!

Andreas

1 Like

John, seeing those pictures reminds me of another topic on this site: Chieftain tank target hulk based on The Tamiya Mk5 … would look great in your future dio, wouldn’t that make you happy again? :grinning:

1 Like

That’s just reminded me - I have a 1:35 FV 432 of his somewhere! I’d simply forgotten.

1 Like

Any dead chieftain makes me sad…but I know what you mean.:grinning: