Best A-10 Warthog in 1/48 scale

Hi guys,

I was wondering which is the best 1/48 A-10 Warthog out there?

im not quite sure if I will be doing a first gulf war version or a more modetn Afghan war version.

thoughts and opinions welcome.

Klaus

It may be not the best, but if itā€™s not urgent, I suggest to wait for the brand new Academy kit. Itā€™s in their 2022 catalogue and itā€™s a new mold, not a rebox.

2 Likes

@Halaci thanks for the advice!

I just hope the decals arenā€™t a PITA like they were on the F/A-18

Thatā€™s really good to know, I was looking for a warthog and they all seemed to have major issues

Go with new Academy, it has latest C parts. Hope for Cartograph decals as Academy has been doing that. All the Academy decals I used way back in early 2000s were junk, BUT someone said if you use hot water you can make them workā€¦kinda doubt that as mine never stuck, fell off within 1/2 hour. John

There are some very good after market decals to be had for the Hog, namely Two Bobā€™s and Speed Hunter Graphics, as an option. SHG have two demo teams that are quiet attractive, including the vintage Vietnam scheme on the A-10. Digital Hogs ā€” Reid Air Publications Iā€™m partial to the Mustang one, myself but am doing a 1/32 Hog in the Red Devil scheme.

Have always wanted to do a 1/48th a10 but have never been tempted by any of the available kits so the news of a new tool academy offering is very welcome. Their 1/35th AH-1Z went together rather well and the included cartograph decals were excellent, hopefully this will be the same.

Thanks for starting this thread David @Klaus-Adler , another one of my bucket list builds is looking more likely.

Another one in the wishing list. I always wanted to make a Hog, so Iā€™ll wait for the Academy.

I will also take a look at these decals Newtonk says.

Iā€™m also thankful for this thread, hahahaha.

1 Like

@iwatajim oh donā€™t blame me for this one mate, blame ā€œKiller Chickā€ i listened to this podcast the other day and thought a battle damaged A-10 would be a good idea for a build.

3 Likes

Ha! No, no blame, only thanks for being pointed in the right direction. As they say in the ā€˜cast, the a10 is akin to the apache, and I have a 1/48th hasegawa ah-64d longbow complete on the shelf awaiting itā€™s fixed wing siblingā€¦ oh, that rhymed, and so close to Burns night!

And the battle damaged build idea sounds fantastic.

1 Like

OK, well, now I gotta know. Whatā€™s wrong with the HobbyBoss kit? Thatā€™s the one I have in my stash.

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe saying they had major issues wasnā€™t fair. From what Iā€™ve read the hobbyboss one is by far the best. The only complaint Iā€™ve heard is the cockpit is a little bare, but that can be remedied.

The Tamiya one apparently has many accuracy/shape issues, and the others are ancient

Whew, thanks! I expect the new Acadamy kit will be better, but as long as I already have this one, I think Iā€™ll stick with it. I have the Killer Chick decals from TwoBobs I was planning to use as well, though probably pre-mission rather than post!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll probably wait for the academy and see how it compares to the hobby boss, Iā€™ve been wanting an A-10 for a while. The ā€œissueā€ with the hobby boss could be easily remedied with scratch work or resin if the price between the academy and hobby boss is very different

@michaelsatin Michael, do you have a link for those ā€œKiller Chickā€ decals.

Iā€™m sorry Klaus. Theyā€™re TwoBobs sheet 48-057 but theyā€™re showing as sold out at the TwoBobs website. You might find them aftermarket somewhere!

Michael

1 Like

you want some Black Snake decals anyway!!
gary

black snake decals???

iā€™m not sure what you are talking about mate.

Ultra Cast in Canada has a great many rare decals - you may find what you need there .

1 Like

The Tamiya molds are quite old also. I do believe that it was first released when the A-10 was in developmental stage or initial entry service.