"Black power" from Bravo-6

I’m starting these two guys from Bravo-6, first zenital priming with GSW matte primer and white artist paint from Scale75. I really like the primer, doesn’t smell like the Surfacer 1500, dry nice and matte.

Cheers!

8 Likes

Initial colors for the skin, I used primaries for mixing the browns. The easiest way for brown is black+orange, but I mixed also other hues :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Not an easy subject, looking good so far. Keep it up.

2 Likes

It is a challenge indeed, it will need more layering for visual effect :slight_smile:

Looking good. I like the different tones of the color on the two figures.

Mario

1 Like

Thanks, Mario!
That was my intention, to bring more visual difference and, of course, no two persons are the same :slight_smile:
Although I will enhance the highlights of the skin, like in this picture, maybe a slight satin varnish layer, because Scale75 are very matte:

I think this photographer will be good addition to these two guys:

3 Likes

I like the way the figures are coming so far, great job!

Base coat of Scale75 SW-020 Camo Italian green, which is good match for Vietnam olive green.
Of course I broke the barrel of M-16, but will fix it later :slight_smile:
And my new homemade wet palette from food box is fantastic, I’m glad that I didn’t bought expensive commercial one :grin:

7 Likes

I congratulate you on your black skin tones, it’s something I have never been good at and usually avoided as it never looked right when tried it.
your method seems to work very well so I might have ago at that style in the near future.

thanks for posting

2 Likes

Thank you!

The Color theory style of painting is much superior to how I painted till now. You can easy blend the colors and achieve any desired shade from primaries, without buying 1000+ bottles of paints :slight_smile:
Now I’m using several bottles of ready paints only for base layer :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

One more thing-I slighly thinned the green with thinner and applied maybe two thin coats, that way the zenithal highlight will show through :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Keeps getting better.

What I am supposed to spend my hobby supply dollars on now. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Yes you really did a great job on the flesh tones

2 Likes

This is fantastic!.. You’ve read my mind! I had a plan to represent ‘Black History Month’ in February, however, my project became stalled on the bench due to late postage — excuses, excuses! Well, that and I’m petrified of painting figures of any skin-tone — especially those of my own people. :fist_right:t6: :fist_left:t5:

Cheers!:beer:
—mike

1 Like

Don’t be petrified lol. Give it your best it’s a hobby your supposed to enjoy it. Figures are not easy ; at least I don’t think so. They don’t have to be contest quality after all.

2 Likes

@metalhead85 you’re not supposed to enjoy this hobby, it’s all about suffering. I have made numerous blood sacrifices to the modelling gods with the help of an xacto blade slipping at the wrong moment. LOL

@Venko I have had more success using oil paints when it comes to skin tones and one friend of mine painted a figure white flesh colour first and then proceeded to layer darker skin colours until the figure looked like a natural black skin colour, it worked very well when you saw the finished figure.

of course this method might not be for everyone and the SJW’s will have a major seizure if they find out about this style of figure painting.

kind regards

Klaus

1 Like

Thanks!

It is all about enthusiasm, don’t be afraid to try new things and experiment :wink:
I first started with plastic figures, and I found that painting figures is much fun.

Painting with oils is very popular also, they blend very nicely and you have more time to work.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Figs look great, love the flesh tones.

2 Likes

Right-on !

2 Likes

Painting the various details like boots, pouches etc.

8 Likes