Blast from the past, Revell 1/40th scale M56 SPAG Restoration

gun parts assembled painted and ready to fit.
gun parts prepped and painted

gun fitted minus the reciprocator.
gun shield rear

2 Likes

I’ve climbed all over one that was parked right in my company area in basic training. Not much bigger than an Ontos. Never thought they’d have that much recoil!

There was one company that fielded them in Vietnam (173rd Airborne). Never saw one except in the states
gary

1 Like

last pieces to be thinned down and fitted
the last pieces to go on

1 Like

the exhaust pipes are on swivels so access can be gained to the tool boxs they go over, they need thinning and shaping with spare rod to make them more U shaped to fit either side of the engine compartment.
kit exhaust pipes
fitted, mine don’t swivel.
pipes fitted

3 Likes

fitted up the M56 is a neat little vehicle that I’d love to see issued in 1/35th scale, a amazing development history and limited Combat History, it still has it’s place in the evolution of anti tank weaponry before the introduction of guided A/T missiles.
daylight a
daylight b

daylight c
daylight d

1 Like

DON’T forget routine maintenance.
oil signs

2 Likes

Regarding the track segments, the M114 APC had similar tracks, bolted together about every seventh “link”.

1 Like

Very nice. I would never have thought of rehabing an old built kit.

1 Like

Looks really nice. I have one in my show case and have almost all of the Adams 1/40 scale kits there as well.
I have always liked this kit. I wish some manufacture would make this kit in 1/35.

Cheers,
Ralph

1 Like

If anyone is looking for one of these, there is one on eBay for a really good price!
1971 " U.S. Army M-56 90MM Self-Propelled Gun by Revell | eBay

Ken

Chaps, I located mine (from its box in the darkest corner of the attic) and for what it’s worth, here it is; I attempted to try and show the vehicle firing - as per the picture I posted earlier - with limited success. The cotton wool I used to depict dust from the blast just wouldn’t take paint very well so the effect isn’t quite what I was after. Anyway:

'Not meant to be a hijack or anything, I just wanted to show that it isn’t too bad a little kit at all, as initiated by Grouser.

2 Likes

Excellent recreation of that moment of firing, great piece Boots.

Thanks! Anyone any idea of how to colour said cotton wool - or even an alternative? I ask as I was thinking of trying to replicate dust from a moving AFV in a future project.

Did you use 1/35 guys in there? :grin:
:grinning: :canada:

Mmmmmm…tasty and tempting! If it’s still there in a couple of days…maybe. :thinking: :hugs:
:grinning: :canada:

No, they’re the figures that come with the kit; they needed a bit of work mind so I added the personal equipment from Milliput and straps from tape or card (I forget), helmet bands from masking tape and that, more or less was that. I think I must have modified the poses a bit and had the heads as if turning away from the blast. I added a map for the Commander and probably made his binos from plastic rod/scrap - this was made some time ago, around 20 years I think.

For cotton I use dye; buy it at Wal Mart or the grocery store. I have also seen people use fiber-fil (the stuffing in pillows and teddy bears) and spray paint it.
Ken

Yeah - the problem was no matter how long I sprayed (Tamiya Buff - my all-time favourite for nearly everything) it just wouldn’t “take”. Very frustrating.

That is a really cool looking vehicle. Ugly too lol!

Did they ever try these in Vietnam??