Blast from the past, Revell 1/40th scale M56 SPAG Restoration

I believe this is a pic of one in Vietnam, Bien Hoa Jun 65 (from a Zaloga book):

Unitl fairly recently I thought these were just issued to Airborne units but I discovered - thanks to a Tankograd booklet - that they were deployed in anti-tank platoons in USAREUR.

Definitely time for one in 1:35 - I know Hobby Fan make one in resin, but I’d much prefer an injected version, if only so I could avoid resin tracks(!)

1 Like

Nice job on both of those oldies. You really should give resin a go. Hobby Fan does really nice kits. I still have to finish a couple of SPG’s from them.
The tracks on this kit would do well as resin tracks as they truly were “rubber band” tracks. Linked tracks don’t always look good in resin as they curve unrealistically. Most people will tell you to use boiling water but I find that rarely works well. Once I have the upper run installed I mask off what doesn’t need heat and blast the tracks with the wife’s hair dryer. Perfect sag every time.

I can cope with most resin: Commander Models MBT 70, Retrokit’s M75 (I admit I used AFV Club tracks!), but it is indeed such timidity which prevents me using resin tracks, so thanks for the tips. My recently acquired Dutch M113 C&V comes with resin tracks I note so I might give them a go.

I’m not in a sceaming hurry to get an M56 in 1:35 - the Revell 1:40 will do for the time being; Hobby Fan can be pretty punishing regarding prices too.