Border Merkava 2D build Issues?

Hi All,

I know the Border Merkava Mk. 2D hasn’t been out for very long, and in fact, i just got mine today. I’m pretty much a fan of IDF vehicles, and have many models both built and still in boxes. I know that the 2D is not all that different from the Mk. 1, and I’ve already built the Takom Mk. 1 and I have the Takom Mk. 1 Hybrid yet to build, but I just couldn’t resist the first Merkava with an interior! I was wondering if anyone has built this model yet, and whether there are any build problems, things that I need to look for when i get around to putting this one together. The amount of plastic in the box is impressive! I hope the build goes well.

2 Likes

Should be a nice build… how about a outta the box review with sprue shots etc…
Inquiring minds want to know :wink:

1 Like

This kit is available from vendors in East Asia/Japan for the US market or for Europeans who want to pay the outrageous shipping costs and wait for two months on delivery. For most of Europe, its still available only as ‘Pre-Order’. It was meant to be vailable from January 2024 and so far, hasn’t materialised.

It is very frustrating, no updates from Border Models.

1 Like

A friend built it as a commission build and had it at model club recently. He was happy enough with the kit as the customer was happy with the result. He mentioned something about do the tracks before attaching the side skirts. He also felt the kit had high parts count but normally he focuses on aircraft. Sorry there was a lot going on that night and that’s what I recall.

1 Like

I haven’t built mine yet but have examined the parts. Some things are slightly oversized like the FN MAGs and fuel cans. Otherwise, very detailed. Border engineering is pretty good in general so I am not anticipating any fit issues.

1 Like

From what I can tell in looking at the instructions and the completed model photos it is quite complete save for the Elbit Tactical Computer (TFCS) at the gunner’s station, which, to be quite honest is no surprise. I built it into mine based on references I obtained in the early 90’s.

I may be wrong, but i don’t see it. If it’s not there it’s ironic, because going back to the discussion on interiors, it’s one of the few interior components that’s readily visible without a 3500 lumen Maglite.

I found this on the interweb. Perhaps some of you will find it useful. After all, I like to say I would never use someone else’s model as a reference,

4 Likes

Thanks for responses, guys. I’d love to do a build blog, but honestly, I have so many other models that are half built, I need to get to those first. I’ve looked through the sprues, and I think the cleanup on the individual track links looks like a complete nightmare. So, I ordered a new (to me) set of aftermarket tracks, QuickTracks, which look really nice. I’ve almost always gone with aftermarket tracks for my tank models, so not unusual for me, just haven’t tried QuickTracks before. I must say that the Border box is absolutely packed with plastic, so it will be quite a project once I decided to start it.

2 Likes

I’ve got those tracks in anticipation of being able to purchase the kit itself at some point.

I honestly do not understand how people can consider these kit tracks (individual links - so called ‘workable track’) that all need a clean up and use about 6 pieces per link. Its baffling when there are basically ‘one click and you’re done’ AM sets out there.

2 Likes

I 100% agree, although these ‘much easier to build and still workable tracks’ have been kind of a recent innovation (as far as I know). Previously, the tracks I’ve used were mostly Fruil metal tracks, which aren’t difficult to build, just time consuming, and much better that the really old ‘rubber band’ tracks. I’ve been away from tank builds for a while, been working mostly on airplanes, and glad to see continued improvements in armor models!

1 Like

I agree as well. I learned my lesson when I used a set of AFV Club M24 Chaffee tracks for my M24/AMX-13 project. I think there were 4 pieces per link, and they came out very nice but if I had looked around I probably could’ve found a set of aftermarket tracks that were one piece that I could have used.

1 Like

One day soon a “smart” manufacturer will probably start including something like QuickTracks in their kits that just click together.

1 Like

AFV sent me a bunch of their tracks when I did iWork for them. Yeah they look great but they’ll take a person with big hands suicidal in a heartbeat…

1 Like

Or fat fingers?
Ken

I am going to have some interior parts made in 3D for the turret and also the engine, as it is lacking in some detail. It will be a month or two, but I will keep you all informed.
I have had these made, for the Puma, and also a side skirt removal tool for the Merkava’s
The round objects, are air purification vents for the Puma.

3 Likes

Love the details! Great job…I may be interested in a set of these. When I built the Meng Merkava 4M, I (tried to) recreate a tank that was used in training, thus had a bunch of cables and an elevated beacon, a very unique plaque attached to the rear of the basket (which I was, and am, most proud of), and some other details (using the Desert Eagle book to find the right tank to do). It is great fun to scratch build these details, especially when the completed vehicle ends up being a unique model, but it’s also time consuming, and for me, required several iterations of the scratch built details to get them just right, so being able to buy pre-built super-details is great!!

2 Likes

Hi 18bravo

I think TFCS is present part F38
Regards
Captura de pantalla 2024-03-19 084805

1 Like

That certainly looks like one of the components. Apparently I missed it looking in the instructions. Good news if that is it. I can cast more and add them to my other older Merkavas and not have to worry about scratching them anymore.
I would be willing to bet they’ve changed quite a bit since the Merkava Ii.

Edit: Indeed, welcome! I missed that on my phone earlier, which I can barely see.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like