Build in the memory of Robert Jan aka SpeedyJ

11 months ago we lost a dear member and gifted modelbuilder- Robert Jan Scholte van Mast, aka SpeedyJ.

Robert had various modelling interests, he always built things I wanted to build myself, his builds were pleasure to follow and he enriched each discussion, he joined.
Robert always walked the extra mile looking for references and trying to understand the designs we all love to build so much.

Robert was one of my best modelling buddies.

The day I learned he’s gone was the hardest day for me- in a year full of hard days.

The best thing I can do to commemorate my buddy and celebrate his life and achievements is to build something he built.
My choice is a plastic kit- a licensed copy of a resin kit, Robert managed to almost finish and was so happy about, that I had to order it.
The kit arrived at my doorstep few days before Robert’s passing.

I’ll open it in a month- on the day Robert left us- and will build it in his honor.

And I invite all of you, that remember our late buddy, to join me in this modelbuilding commemoration.

Angel

22 Likes

I didn’t know SpeedyJ all that well and only talked a time or too. Now lost to the archives. This was the kit I recall. https://www.cromaticamodels.es/shop/cm-35010-·-breuer-typ-iv-locomotive/

3 Likes

Well done Angel, that’s a really nice sentiment and an even nicer way to remember Speedy. Like @Tank_1812 I didn’t know Robert and only exchanged a few messages with him but it was always a pleasure to watch his builds and see projects that he had completed.

4 Likes

I remember this conversation, Ryan!

Robert was a big fan of everything related to railroads and I still recall his enthusiasm, when Breuer Typ IV locomotive was announced.

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

John, you said a mouthful here!

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Can’t think of a better person to do the tribute. Will follow with much interest.

3 Likes

Nice touch, Angel.

1 Like

The best tribute you can offer, I never had the chance to talk to him but his posts were full of knowledge, a sad loss.

Looking forward to seeing your build,

1 Like

I have many pleasurable memories of Robert having interacted quite a lot, including PM’s from time to time. A gifted modeller whom is sadly missed. I will join you in building a tribute Angel.

I will do a Citroen Traction CV11. His build of the vehicle is inspirational:

Mine won’t be as sensational as Speedy J’s, but I will do my best.

7 Likes

Thanks for your kind comments DV, Phil and Carlos!
I take them as words of praise for our late fellow!

And thanks for joining in, Peter!
Let’s build and remember the bright SpeedyJ,

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

I remember that one. It was pretty special.

3 Likes

Hopefully I can order it next month and add it too this thread.

1 Like

That would be great, Ryan!
Thanks for joining in!

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Hello Angel, there’s goose-bumps rights now on my arms…Tim sent me an email I just replied to let me know about your build. 5 minutes ago a Kitmaker Summary came in and showed your thread.

Makes me really happy to see so many reactions to the promise you made almost 1 year ago. I’m sure Robert is smiling on you and your project from above!

I will sure follow this project and the Traction Avant build with great interest.
Thanks Angel, and all the other people who so quickly reacted to this build…

7 Likes

Hello Petbat, that’s an awesome gesture… thanks so much.

2 Likes

I bet he is, Luc!

I hope your brother will be my co-pilot in this build, nudging me in the right direction each time I have doubts!

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

I’m sure he will Angel.
Looking forward to the first day of your build!
Will have a beer ready to toast!
Cheers,
Luc

2 Likes

Angel, the idea is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your correspondence with Robert.
He liked to do conversions, and I have a lot of models waiting for that. I will participate. He deserved it.
Kalin

2 Likes

Welcome to the Build in the memory of Robert Jan, Kalin!
Glad you joined!

Cheers,
Angel

I was able to communicate with them and ordered the Breuer type IV. :+1:

1 Like