Building a giant : Dragon Sherman 1/6

Hi, this is my first post on this forum as i just startet modeling again after a 20 year long break.
Because my eyes are not so good anymore i thought maybe build something bigger, so startet this 1/6 kit i got form eBay, but as you can see this is way to big for display :slight_smile:
It is in a very late state, about 90% finished, i did not take so much pictures from the building process, if there is interest i can upload some.
I am still working on all the additional stuff like the crew and ammo boxes etc. I added a lot of extra parts from eastcoastarmory and built some parts with brass metal as the front fenders and the back carrier. The weathering is not perfect as i testet different technics during the built to improve my knowledge. So this is the test ground for Andys Sherman which is already on stock :slight_smile:
The screws are replaced with real screws as they look much sharper then the molded ones.

Here are some of the additional things that will come up later:

28 Likes

Welcome aboard and that is not one’s typical entrance. That thing is massive and well done. :+1:

2 Likes

I had to genuinely laugh when I saw this post and the first image … not in a bad way … just in a "this thing is insanely massive way " !!!

Its incredible and the detailing is way out there… it looks superb and what an entrance as Ryan said … fantastic first post and a beautiful looking Sherman … Welcome to the forums and can we see some more build pictures please ??

4 Likes

Utterly magnificent. Welcome!

2 Likes

Okay here we go:

6 Likes

Basic coloring, i tried pre-shading here:

6 Likes

Had to look this kit up and found Jim’s unboxing of the kit.

https://archive.armorama.com/features/4891/

Gives an idea of the work done to make it shine.

1 Like

Thanks … and the pre shading has really worked well … it gives a great colour variation on all surfaces. Very very nice extra detailing as well … is it a metal hull etc ? the real bolt?screws look so much better as well.

1 Like

Watch Jim video, it’s was all plastic to start with.

1 Like

just watched it. You must of been writing it as I was writing mine. It looks even crazier when you see real people handling the parts… Impressive.

2 Likes

That’s really impressive! But I shudder to think how much it cost to paint. :grin:

2 Likes

As it is too big to airbrush i did the base painting with spray cans, the disadvantage is that you can not change the colour. It needed 2 400ml can of olive drab :smile:
But you are right, as you need a lot of pigments for the dirt as it is so much, and sometimes it is boring as you need a lot of dirt. But as I am a huge fan of painting and weathering there is a lot of place for it.
To be honest there was a point when the cost run out of sight, especially for the upgrade parts which I couldn’t do by myself.

2 Likes

Well, you cracked it … You have done a fantastic job of modulating the colour and the dirt and weathering look brilliant.

2 Likes

I think in this scale it is simpler to make it look realistic as you do not make sure to pop the details out as with smaller scales. I have watched a lot of videos on YouTube from Mario Rinaldi and other weathering experts and there is a long way to go to reach the next level. But I learned a lot which I will us an Andy’s 1/16 scale Sherman
I think the overall colour is to dark, weathering effects look much better on a lighter olive drab base. After the base paint I used a dark filter and this was making it to dark, but I was too bored to repaint the whole model, which is a real disadvantage because it is so much work in this size.

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the in progress shots. You put A LOT more work into this model than I first thought when I saw the finished model. Excellent putty work on the welds and nice detailing with the bolts and screws. Fantastic texturing on the turret. Really nice finish. What a way to premiere on Armorama!

2 Likes

Just put one of the riders on it, it’s not weathered just a bit toned down

3 Likes

Ok, now I am going to be a bit critical here … and it is only because I think the Sherman looks so utterly fantastic with the painting and the extra work that has gone into it.

The figures I have seen that people put on or in this scale of build sometimes dont add anything to it. I understand it gives the tank scale etc etc but the way the figures are made and the uniforms they have sometimes just dont look like the real thing. The BAR and helmet and the figure look nice in the above pic, but to me (and this is purely my opinion and because I really do like the build) the uniform he has on just looks to toy like … if the uniform could be changed into something more realistic ??

2 Likes

I have to agree with @Johnnych01 at this scale the figures have to be completely reworked to not detract from the model.

2 Likes

Yeah, if his uniform was grubby, his boots covered in mud, and if his dogtags weren’t on a giant rosary he’d be more in keeping with the tank. But then it takes some guts to permanently alter a collectable large-scale figure!

2 Likes

You are absolutely right, but as i wrote it’s not weathered, It needs to be reworked but this is a real advanced task. So need a to catch some experience first as they are expensive and some things cannot easy be undone.

2 Likes