Building a US Special Forces GMV, Afghanistan

Outstanding job, well done! I love it!

The only thing I could possibly say is “add a spare and you’re there!” Run-flats still don’t get the job done though I do admit early versions of the vehicle did not have one.

Mr. “Worst Scenario” (me) would be begging maintenance for a spare before ever leaving the compound!

There will be a spare tire or two…:wink:

1 Like

The screws on these panels look huge. Look here (Dumvee by Maki)

1 Like

I agree, so I changed them.

3 Likes

Nicely done! Yes, the bolts heads may be a bit overscale, but the fact is, you have the armor panels that many people miss altogether. (I think Maki is a big time user of my references)
I use Evergreen hex rod, but have been known to take tank road wheels and cut all of the outer portions off of them, then slice of the bolt detail with an X-Acto chisel blade. Sometimes of course you just use what you have on hand. At any rate it beats trying to unload some crap on someone else on the Buy Sell Trade forum for a measly few bucks. :slight_smile:
Spares are always good!

I can already hear some folks clicking away on Google to prove otherwise, but I myself as an SF guy never saw a GMV as loaded as the resin piece shown above. Other than an assload of ammo and a few MRE’s, even on multiple day missions (of which I conducted many) we just didn’t need that much crap. This is SF after all, not some Big Army unit with all of their creature comforts along for the ride.
For us, it’s all about what you need to do bad things to bad people, and what you need to sustain you to get where they are, i.e. gas and water.
This was was of those missions. The sleeping bag belonged the one of our terps. I slept on the roof next to the gun, under a poncho liner.

You can see my headphones and a few other items on the roof where I slept.

I submit that if an SF vehicle carried any snivel gear at all it usually belonged to the terps.

3 Likes

Indeed. I don’t think there are references for GMV as good as Rob’s. And for many other modern day vehicles too. Thumbs way up. :beer:

Yes, Black Dog resin piece for the cargo bay is just too much and I’m glad I put that conversion back in the box. Pro Art and Legend are much nicer and you get what you pay for. In fact, combining the two might be the best option.

Mario

1 Like

Here’s my dumvee. On the basis of this great “block” Black Dog, you can get a nice effect with a little work

6 Likes

PS- If you are building a vehicle without doors, it is worth adding some details to the dashboard and doors (reinforcements of the front window frame)

Yep, that is my intention. Thank you for the pics, Piotr. You saved me from some googling there. And your Dumvee is excellent. Looks really cool.

Erik - I have built over 70 different versions of Humvees. If you need help - please ask :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I definitely will. I have never built a Humvee, but I have crashed one once… :grin:
This might turn out to be a good thread with so many knowledgeable people participating. A big thank you to you all.

2 Likes

Comms question:
I’m at the point where I’m starting to install the communication system. The kit provides a RT-1439 radio setup. I would imagine it would be more like a 117F radio that would have been in a SF vehicle in the early 2000, or am I completely wrong? I assume there was a couple of AN/PRC-148 MBITR radios as well?
Did any of the SF vehicles in Afghanistan have the FBCB2 system installed? I find mainly vehicle from Iraq with this system installed. Thanks

Rob has to help here. SINCGARS is adequate in my opinion. Plus, probably Harris. If the BFT antenna, then also the whole system - a set of photo-etched plates, or scratch.
PS-I don’t remember if the Pro Art kit has a BFT antenna

1 Like

Early on, at least through April of 2003, no FBCB2. After that, I don’t know. I can tell you that even if it was used later, as I’m sure it was, it’s effectiveness was severely degraded by the terrain.
As for comms, again early on - I tried to stay away from things that had no triggers, but Harris radios and sat-comm capable radios are what we used.
While I know we’re talking about HMMWV’s and GMV’s, we generally rolled in Tacomas - HMMWV’s then had no CD player or A/C. But we used X wings as you see on these gun trucks. Sometimes, but not often, we’d used one of those cans with all the reflector arrays, but that was seldom.

But going back to the issue of cargo, you can see on the one it’s heavy on fuel, followed by ammo, water, and then food.
One of the first things I learned in patrolling - travel light, freeze at night.

2 Likes

Were these imported from the States or locally bought?

Fifty of them shipped from the US. Of course, we bought fifty UAZ-469’s as well. By the time they were driven to us (from India as I was told,) they were already falling apart.
Local Toyotas were Hi-Luxes, with a solid axle suspension. They were actually better suited for the terrain than the Tacomas. I have a feeling some Toyota dealership in a certain congressman’s district benefitted handsomely, as did the congressman.

Shocker about the congressmen.
I guess it shows how our 4x4s aren’t as durable as they were 20-30 years ago. Maybe because we don’t have as many rough roads as back then? Or we are more interested in cup holders?

YES!
Ken

1 Like

I don’t recall drinking beer out of cups while we were there.

Like I said, only the essentials.

2 Likes

Okay, onward with the build. I managed to drop the radio table at the floor and stepped on it while searching. The result is now perfect 1/35 scale corn flakes…
Since I don´t have a spare I scratch built a new one, which turned out ok I guess. I also made the curled cord for the radio handsets by curling 0,2 lead wire around the thinnest drill bit I got. I think they will work well with the radio set.

Regarding the supplied radio set, I think Pro Art delivers a set up with a RT-1439 and a RT-1523 in the mount. The last one is a guess, based on other Pro Arts products. I have an idea how to get a AN/PRC-117F into the build, but that is for a later stage.

Mock-up picture

I also worked a bit on the base, adding some texture and some homemade turfs of grass. The turfs is made by adding static grass, through an applicator, to a drop of white glue on a piece of ordinary 3M tape. When dry the turfs are easy to peel off. It might not look like much right now, but with some more work and paint I think it will be ok for a small piece of Afghan mountainous terrain.

6 Likes