This build is something I started in late January after I completed a SAS WW2 Jeep. Building the Jeep gave the inspiration to construct something more modern, and since I had the Tamiya M1025 Humvee and the Pro Art Models “Dumvee” kit in my stash the choice was easy.
The Pro Art conversion kit represent an early GMV (I think…) and you can find a pretty good review at Vodnik.net . His specimen is of lower quality than mine, and the bad Mk 19 he refers to is not a part of my kit. He is spot on when it comes to difficulties cleaning the parts, and this is not a kit for resin beginners. There has been a lot of grinding and sanding so far, and wearing a face mask and having a vacuum cleaner close by has been an absolutely must.
I saw the real thing from a distance at Bagram back in 2003 and that is more or less the only time I have been remotely close to this vehicle. Pictures and information is sparingly on the internet, so any advice through the build is most welcomed.
The build itself starts with the vehicle frame. This is straight forward with the exception of the winch. The winch has good details and fit and is perhaps one of the easiest parts to install from the conversion kit.
I read somewhere that the frame of these vehicles were reinforced in some way, but with exceptions of the slats along the channels there are no modifications to the frame itself. It really don’t matter since the frame can’t be seen when finished.
The Pro Art kit comes with a set of tires with an “aggressive” pattern, but I changed them with a set of Super Swampers since they look better. Please let me know if this will be wrong for an early GMV.
For the rest of the pictures, very little is glued permanent, since the interior will need a lot of detailing. As usual with Tamiya, most parts fit like Lego.
I have started with the interior, mainly seats and dashboard. The radio will be a Harris 117F. The roof has been cut and so far most things line up.
One of the main issues in Vodniks review is the weapon platform for the main gun. Tamiya is supplying an older version and the correct version should be a lighter version not supplied by the Pro Art kit. I have yet to see a picture of how it should look and I guess I will go with the original Tamiya part since I’m not very interested in buying additional parts for this build.
I prefer to have all my models on a base, since they are much easier to handle when finished. Base is made from an old box of dried figs and air drying DAS clay. It is still work in progress.
At the moment a mock up of the kit looks like this. Nothing is glued permanently. As stated ealier any advise is must welcomed.