Building a US Special Forces GMV, Afghanistan

I have to say the coiled cord looks good. All too often either the coils or the wire itself is grossly overscale.
Groundwork looks pretty similar to above photo. Afghanistan has so many diverse geological and temperate regions that you can’t really go wrong. that said my photo was taken in the Paktika province not far from Pakistan.

Yepp. I based it on own photos and memories. I served in that s*@thole back in 2003-2004.

Could be 2 1523s. An A/B/C/D ICOM underneath an E/F ASIP. I can’t see the parts very clearly and the physical differences are relatively minor between a 1439 and 1523A/B/C/D from what I’ve seen online. If you want more SINCGARS and radio options i have them available plus a, in my opinion, better H-250/U.

4 Likes

Looking good. A couple things on the SINCGARS though. First, there is a shelf between the two radios. Just slip a piece of 0.015 sheet between them and you will be good. Also, the small ASIP radio up top should be all the way to the right as that is where the connectors are for it.

2 Likes

I have thought of that, but the damn thing is casted in one piece. That said, it does not mean that I will not try :wink:

I took a look at your products and they look amazing. However, one of the goals with this project is to get rid of some stash, not buying more. :smile:

1 Like

I was asked if we had any interesting mods on our M1114’s, but other than removing the governors we really didn’t. This is an M1152, not an M1114, but the extra fuel can rack is interesting. It could be added to any vehicle. Going back to the discussion about what and how much gets carried, notice the go bags in the rear. Normally you’d want your go bag close by, but space was at a premium in gun trucks. As the gunner I stood not on the platform but on extra cans of .50 ammo. My go bag was usually at my feet or in the turret. (in this photo you can see by IBA on the roof) For the other guys, they could retrieve theirs through the rear hatch. You can see a pistol mag in the photo. As I said, we usually carried the minimum amount of crap and maxed out on the things that could harm people. I carried four M9 mags on my person and had several more in my go bag. Details like this will really help out any build. And the beer. That’s no joke. We had to bring it to our COP somehow. Far as I know NAAFI didn’t make deliveries. And I’ve said this before as well - nix the Coke and Mountain Dew. If we carried anything carbonated other than beer it was the small cans of Rip It. Coke stayed in the team house for adding to Bourbon, at least for the unwashed.

Also a good reference photo for what the spare looks like after a romp across the desert.

1 Like

Nicely dirty. :crazy_face: p.s. this is M1151 B2. The variant you write about M1152 is cargo

More comms work. I have built a satellite antenna from an old Pro Art radio kit which has several nice radios and antennas. The kit came wit two different types. This one seems the more common type

But I choose this one

It is a simple reason for this choise. The parts were easier to identfy, and it looks cooler. Has it been used by SF? I don´t know, but my team will use one…

Here is the result so far. This was the opposite of easy :unamused: The figure is only there for scale

I also changed the radio in the GMV for another SINCGARS setup from MR Models

2 Likes

You’re good. We used those and a host of similar ones.

1 Like

«Moons out - Goons out»

The crew has arrived. I´m not very impressed with the casting, but with some TLC and carefull painting I think they will be ok. They did not fit particulary well in the Humvee either, and some brute grinding was necessary…

2 Likes

Erik- what about this area…? :crazy_face:

Have not started it yet. Been busy shooting competition today, but maybe tomorrow…:smirk:

I worked for company that owned AM General, and we did the power pack (both of them). If the added most anykind of weight to the truck we’d have heard about it. I see the radiator mod done to it that the very early ones didn’t have (think all were retrofitted) and I did the modification to it so we could road test it (it was kinda funky looking with a big aluminium scoop). There was one that came in with nerf bars in front of the rear wheels, but don’t think that one went anywhere. Last one we had was with all the heavy doors and had the big hole for the crows nest. Funny thing about it was that it came in with civilian light grey leather interior and even the civilian dash. We kept it for a long time till they finally repo’d it like the electric car. We took the rear seats out and installed a big piece of concrete to add weight. I suspect we put eight to nine thousand miles on! It even had a full camo on the outside.
gary

Heater system installed. The tubing is made of lead wire around a copper wire.

3 Likes

Great. Next step

Luckily there is a huge Photobucket logo covering whatever you try to drag me into :joy:

F…k, right

Do you have a picture of the real thing?

I’m not sure if this is the detail we’re supposed to be seeing, but here goes:

You really ought to get my Spec Op HMMWV walkaround. Almost 800 images, many of which you’re not going to find anywhere else.

1 Like