Building Takoms 1/16th. Ontos w Interior

Well I finally got started , It’s very hard for me now after my Head injury, but I’ll try.
First the Box Art

Ooops I have more work to do on the Pics. I’ll be back shortly
Donald

8 Likes

Ok I’m back , Here’s what I have so far there not painted yet but that’s next.

Now to paint them
Regards
Donald

13 Likes

Looks very nice and detailed!

1 Like

Wow! That’s really nice. The details on the RT-524 radio receiver are spot-on.

4 Likes

I don’t know if you have this, but i will share it anyways…

M50 Ontos Walk Around Page 1 (primeportal.net)

3 Likes

Looking forward to this build. My kit arrived not long ago and I had a chance to see one up close at the National Marine Corps Museum on Friday.

3 Likes

I have some of the interior finished . The Decals for the instruments are really nice and don’t have that carrier film around the edges so they fit nicely.
Yeah I don’t see straight all the time , I know I got some of them a little crooked.

I’ll be working on the ammo for the internal rack next. The ammo that goes underneath well I may just leave that closed as they are only partial rounds.
Regards
Donald

9 Likes

I just bought one of these as well. I’ll be watching your S-B-S

2 Likes

Instruments look great, Donald.

2 Likes

I have the 4 Ammo rounds that go in the inside finished and installed.

I havent been feeling very good lately, If things don’t get better this may be my last build , that is if I survive this one.
Donald

14 Likes

Above all, I hope you get to feeling better Donald. I look forward to what you can, when you can.

5 Likes

Take a break; a model is not worth your health!
Ken

3 Likes

I’m very slow now.

I’m working on the wheels now.
For the life of me I just can’t see how the suspension arms are going to stay in place I mean there’s no positioning spots to place the arms at what angle.
Oh well I’ll just have to think about it.
Regards
Donald

8 Likes

Yes; the Marine lying in the dirt is either wounded or dead :frowning:
As for the Ontos, most likely repositioning to another part of town to provide support for Marines.

1 Like

I started the Suspension The Instructions are screwed up with the upper slide parts having them oriented in two different directions.
First the parts.

This shows the correct positions

Here’s the proof , I got these 2 Pics. from the internet.

Both left and right side.

I’m going to do something different I’ll paint the parts before assembly otherwise I think they would be a real bear to do.

I hope I hope I hope
Regards
Donald

5 Likes

Here’s how I did the Suspension wheel units.

Painting first worked out fine

I installed the Sprockets then the front and rear units.

The Track is a flexable plastic that seems to work ok with liquid glue ,
Hopefully it doesn’t disintagrate like some of the Dragon track did.
Finished for a while
Donald

6 Likes

I painted the Track with Model Master Gun metalizer

It worked , If the Track had broke it all would have went to the Trash.
The Sprocket was moveable , I didn’t think that I would be able to get the Track to stretch over the Idler.
Well it’s on so the adventure continues.
Regards
Donald

6 Likes

Well here we go again the instructions for the fenders are all screwed up.
Some numbers are switched side to side while one shows the correct number just the wrong picture.
I’ll show first then explane what is wrong , un fortunatly I didn’t catch it until glued so I ripped it apart and corrected it.

OK now the explanation ,In Step 19 &20 the instructions have parts L39 & J52 reversed , Rear parts L23 & D53 are reversed , The Guides I’m not shure what to call them parts J1 & J2 are numbered right Just the instructions show the wrong part.
The pics. I have posted here show how it should look.
I hope this helps.
Regards
Donald

5 Likes

The interior is finished and weathered.

Now to close it up
Donald

8 Likes

Looking outstanding. specially the dusty interior. and the shiny brass contrasting the dust and dirt.

1 Like