Donald

13 Likes

Nice start. I’ll be tracking this build with interest. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a little more finished .

Finished for now.
Donald

6 Likes

I love following your builds they are so informative. I’m really looking forward to this one. Wish I had room for big boys like this in my display case. Might be time to get a bigger one!

3 Likes

I have been working on the Bogies , here is what I have so far.

More coming when I get it done.
Regards
Donald

5 Likes

Not sure what those lumps in pic 11 are meant to be, but the pic also shows the lack of drain plugs under the final-drive lobes. This pic borrowed from the Toadman website shows them as circular bolts either side of each FDA, outboard of the towing lugs, although I thought they were recessed in circular holes with the bolt head flush:

4 Likes

Good to see you building this Donald, a nice good bit of pre-information for when we finally get ours over here in europe. I’ll follow with interest, I’ve the Achilles on order so much of what you show will be very informative.
Thanks. Keith

1 Like

Donald, I’m thinking about ordering this kit. Your assessment please. How is the molding, detail, engineering, and fit?

3 Likes

Pull the trigger lol

2 Likes

So far I highly recommend this kit , If you can afford it I would get both of them.
I did , The only thing that I’m not crazy about is the Tires for the Road Wheels are split in half leaving a seam to cope with , but the detailing is great so far
I would wait a while and see how more i of it goes together.
Regards
Donald

1 Like

I was looking through the Son Of Sherman Book and according to the book the Final Drive and Differential drains were hooked up together on this one piece transmission and final drive and exited behind the cover and not through it as in the Pics you posted.
Oil was added from the inside of the tank
Regards
Donald

1 Like

You got me looking at the new SoS and on p706 it indeed says that the differential plug in the centre was removed, but the drawing clearly shows the two outboard drain plugs for the final drive gears remained. The manufacturing pics on pp714-5 show the empty plug holes if you squint hard enough…

This pic (from a Prime Portal walkaround of an IDF target tank) shows the plug under one of the final drives, as well as a lump further back that might be the one on your kit part:

1 Like

Tempting to get both as a little mix and match may be possible. Like swapping the odd roadwheel etc. But I’m waiting for AHHQs supposed imminent announcement of the next release from them in 1/16th, its been imminent a few months now though and still nothing.
Keith

1 Like

With the Achillies with the 17 Pdr it’s easy to see a Firefly in the future.
Regards
Donald

4 Likes

Some more done.

More coming when it’s ready
Regards
Donald

5 Likes

This is what I think you are looking at not a drain plug as this is right under the steering brakes.

I also found this , it shows plugs but what are they fore?
m4a3e8bottom510
Interesting no ?
Donald

3 Likes

Here’s another image, showing the interior of the housing and the location of the brake shoe guides.

SO; long of the short. Those two big studs are not related to the actual vehicle; sand them smooth, then rework the bottom to add the plugs for the brake shoe guides in the correct location.

As a bonus; I include the layout of the entire differential and final drive on the Sherman.

3 Likes

As I thought , It’s easier to just smear some mud there.
Thanks for the Info.
Regards
Donald

1 Like

I have been working on the Bogies , here is what I have

Parts ready for painting.

I glued the Wheel Swing Arms together at their pivot points leaving the Wheel Axle removable. You need to do this on a flat surface so they are level

That’s all for now.
Donald

4 Likes

I have a little more done.

More coming when I get it done.
Regards
Donald

7 Likes