Bulgarian WWII Campaign

AMOF, I used to be(Geography and History in German language).

Unless camouflaged(very seldom during wartime) or hurriedly white-washed.

Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes

FrankenFiguring at its best, Herr Doktor! :hocho::man_health_worker:

—mike

2 Likes

Jawohl, Herr Freimann!

:beer:
Angel

1 Like

Okay, Had to go for a medical test yesterday and had the day off (Not allowed to make legal decisions after anaesthetic), so I had a few hours in the morning. Knocked out the Simca as a partner to the Steyr build. Got to this stage:

before I realised the kit has no clear parts… oops. I also checked my reference photo and then noticed it has the full bumper bar on the front, not the two short ones. A little bit of scratch building will be in order - a bit more than I originally thought anyway.

At least I remembered not to add the covers over the headlights.

I also noticed the hub caps have ‘Fiat’ stamped on them, not plain ones like the Simca.

At a guess I’d say the seats in the Simca will be wrong type (el-cheapo ones, not the plush type) but I can live with that:

Should have got the Fiat Mouse like Angel did…

5 Likes

Good start on your second build, Peter!

The one piece front bumper seems to have some
curves, but nothing you can’t handle, I’m sure.

I see some strange abbreviation(Б.Д.) on right front mudguard. I have no idea what it stands for, but will check and report back if I find something.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Angel, reference the Panther G I am attempting and its colour … am I correct in thinking that they were delivered by the Russian forces already painted and was it in the Protective 4BO shade ? none were delivered in any type of cam scheme (G version only) ? and I am going to freehand the red star, that may give it a bit more of a realistic feel.

2 Likes

Yes John, you are absolutely correct!

All trophy vehicles were delivered to First Bulgarian Army from the Trophy Service of the Soviet Third Ukrainian Front. The vehicles underwent overhaul and were repainted in 4BO by the Soviet maintenance staff.

Here is a picture of a trophy Panzer IV Ausf.G(late), taken at the moment of its transfer from Soviet into Bulgarian ownership(note the Soviet tank driver sitting next to the Bulgarian one) :

HTH
Cheers,
Angel

4 Likes

Thanks as always Angel :+1:

1 Like

Angel, are you sure this Topolino is not Bulgarian ww2 era?

Researching my build, and my reference pic has some interesting features not seen on the kits or on many photos of real ones.

5 Likes

Looks like a late summer 45 mod. :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t see Bulgarian military registration number, Peter…
:wink:

1 Like

Progress update on my Campaign build(Horch M.222 armored car):

• I’ve finished trimming the figures and gave them to my “service provider” for painting,
  • I realized, the car I’m building had the crew compartment heater installed and had to open both additional cooling air entrances:

Both openings received their mesh

• I’ve finished construction on all visors and will leave the front big one and the one on the left side open.

Then I turned my attention to the superstructure.

Shaved its rim so that commander and gunner don’t get squeezed against the gun mount and started adding missing detail(clasps, handle and supports for both mesh screens).

The radio rack required special attention, because Tristar’s rendition is totally wrong:

Assembly manual instructs you to glue the front panel of the “Fusprech f” radio set in the box.

In reality, the radio set sat on top of that box,

while the box was occupied by the converter(Umformersatz SEUa1, which converted the 12V DC from the battery to 300V AC and fed the radio set)
sendeempfangereinankerumformer_seua_1218428

I cut the radio rack and built the converter tray from styrene angles, then built both the converter and the body of the “Fusprech f”.

Intend to use Quinta’s decal for “Fusprech f” front panel, kindly provided by Kalin @k_mero4.

And because the vehicle I model was from the last 33 Sd.Kfz.222’s produced in March or April 1943 (Fgst N. 8110951, production ended with 8110994), I will go with the Dunkelgelb front panel(#5) mounted on Panzer grey radio body. This will make the “Fusprech f” a bit more visible in the cramped interior

Both mesh screens were soldered and mounted, I’ve added the missing struts too.

Next is spraying some paint,

Cheers,
Angel

6 Likes

Fantastic work Angel.

1 Like

Great work, Angel. Impressed by your detailed research leasing to excellent accuracy!

1 Like

That is outstanding work Angel… There’s literally to much to mention in the detailing and the extra scratch building you have heaped into this… And you got 2 turret crew fitted into it as well… :+1::+1:
Those radio decal faces are fantastically made, they have to be well worth the money Kalin spent on them. This will be another masterpiece I just know it :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words, gentlemen!

I expected to finish this build for 2 weeks.

In reality I spent a week researching and detailing the engine, another week- matching the parts from both kits to build the chassy, another week for researching and building/painting the interior (including surgery on 3 figures) and yet another week was spent for researching and building the superstructure and the radio rack.

Bottom line- I might suck at planning, yet building this tiny vehicle is a helluva joy!

Cheers,
Angel

5 Likes

" No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first encounter with the main enemy forces."

Same goes for cracking open the first step of model builds…

3 Likes

I look forward to continuing to check in and see the exciting progress and excellent work.

My apologies, due to changing personal circumstances, I am withdrawing from the group build.

Sorry to hear that, Wade!

Hope everything is OK,

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

@ayovtshev Angel, yes everything is OK just too hectic on real life right now for building much.

5 Likes