Bulgarian WWII Campaign

Nice to see this one started. But I am having 2nd thoughts about the Panther G. I sort of feel it’s the safe option as I already have one in the pile, but I fancy doing something other than a Panther… I was thinking of a Pz IV or possibly a Stug…

2 Likes

:+1: you need more kits. :sunglasses:

1 Like

NP John!

I would feel the same if I’m currently finishing another Panther :wink:

Pz. IV must be an Ausf. G onwards(from February 1943 production till WWII end): Krupp for Ausf.G, Vomag and Krupp for Ausf.H and off course Nibelungen for Ausf.J. Plenty of good kits are available and a dedicated decal set by Bison Decals(OOP but still can be found) and Star Decals. Just don’t use the green crosses!!!

All Bulgarian StuGs were StuG III Ausf.G, produced by either Alkett or MIAG between March and November 1943. Big variety here- rectangular gun shields and Saukopfblende, with and without (factory specific) Zimmerit, even StuGs built on Pz.Kpfw III Ausf. M chassis with a watertight exhaust.

Whatever you choose- I have plenty of pictures and info about particular batches/Fgst.№ I can share.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

:grinning:

That’s what I said too, albeit with more words :wink: :rofl:

:beers:
Angel

1 Like

@Panzer_modeler Bummer Ezra. Not the Chinese manufactured item you expected to receive for your Birthday, I presume. Hope you had a nice day anyway.

I was reviewing what I will need to do to my Bronco CV33 kit. Comparing the info Angel sent me with what is in the Bronco 35006 kit, I have discovered there is significantly more work than I thought bring my version up to requirements. My kit is a very early version and there were several differences in the next batch which are represented in the later Bronco kit. The Idler wheel is different, the drive sprocket is slightly different, the rear wheel and idler support brackets (we already knew that), the last wheel on each side are different, the front visor, etc, etc, etc…

So … I’m looking at other options apart from the Simca I know is fine. Angel:

Do you know if the Tamiya Steyr 1500 A/01 is suitable… or if it is the “Kommandeurwagon” version I need? If it is the latter, it is back to the drawing board… maybe a Flak 37 as I have Dragon’s in the stash…

3 Likes

Defiantly not. :rofl:

Hope its not too soon for a progress pic Angel!
Today I sprayed the Dunkelgelb, added washes, a white dot filter and chipping with some slight rust.
Im currently working on the mud effects.

Sorry the pics are kinda grainy, they were taken on my phone.

Im especially happy with the chipping and rust on the shell rack.

All painting and chipping was done with AMMO paints.
The barrel got its very nice flat finish by painting it a very flat dark grey then lightly dusting it with black pigments.

5 Likes

NP Peter!

Two versions of Steyr 1500 were present in Bulgarian Royal Army:

Steyr 1500 A/01, delivered in 1943, was used for troops transport and as a commander car- 2 vehicles serving the second role in the Armored Brigade HQ are seen here during Dec. 2nd 1944 Parade in Sofia:

And here is a color profile:

There was also the special version of Steyr 1500A_02 Kommandeurwagen with Gläser body, purchased for the Bulgarian King Boris III:

It was his favorite vehicle and brought his coffin to his final resting place in early September 1943:

Building this one requires both Tamiya kits and a lot of modifications…

So yeah, Tamiya’s Steyr 1500 A/01 is the perfect choice!

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes

Well, that was fast, Ezra- you’re a real young (air)gun!

The Flak looks superb, with all the paint and weathering done!
Scratches also look the part and very close to the ones on the battered Flak 37 from Museum of Battle Glory in Yambol/Bulgaria

!

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes

Angel, do you have a good recommendation for a Pz IV or Stug G kit I can do without Zimmerit … I will want to do it pretty much OOB if possible ?

2 Likes

Thanks, as always Angel you are a font of knowledge. I searched and searched for more pics, but that one I posted is all I could find. I presume that colour illustration is Dunkel Gelb?

So, my choice is now set, the Simca and Steyr 1500A/01…

1 Like

Definitely Dunkelgelb, Peter!

You might add the white rectangle on bonnets top(Second Army’s air-recognition mark for the fighting in Yugoslavia) and the AUDI-like symbol of the Armored Brigade,

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

John,

For Pz.IV kit selection I can recommend you these blogs by David Coyne on Track-Link:
https://www.track-link.com/blogs/48587
https://www.track-link.com/blogs/49064
Note there is a comparison between the RFM, Border and MiniArt kits in the Conclusions chapter of the last blog

Kalin @k_mero4 built some of these newer Pz.IV kits(Border, RFM and MiniArt), so he can give some advice too.

For StuG III Ausf.G kit selection there are:

• the old Tamiya kit, where you’ll need PE from either Tamiya or Eduard for the mesh screens. The kit has some shortcomings, but builds nicely,
  • plenty of Dragon kits, that are very accurate, but overpriced now,
  • Takom’s kit(#8004) was built and reviewed by David Coyne too:
    https://www.track-link.com/blogs/47918

I’m skipping Das Werks 2in1 repack of Dragons StuH 42, as it has Alkett waffle zimmerit moulded on, but there were no Alkett zimm vehicles delivered to Bulgaria.

I would say go for Takom’s kit here!

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes

Thanks Angel for all that in-depth info. Much appreciated. I will look into all those areas and go with one. :+1:

1 Like

Hello, Johan, Peter!
I’m glad to see you again.
John, about two months ago, I built Pz.IV from three manufacturers: Bordermodel, RFM and Miniart. I was curious if I could make a machine that are manufactured by VOMAG, Krupp or Nibelungen.
For example: From Border Model BT001 Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.G Mid / Late 2 in 1 you can build a tank from any manufacturer.
I would choose the Border Model (BT-001 or BT-005).
Regarding StuG III, I assembled Dragon in Bulgarian version and I am pleased with the result. I am currently replacing the tracks. From Dragon styrene to plastic. The first ones broke. Tamiya’s model is the best for me to work with.

Peter, Tamiya’s model with Steyr 1500 / A01 is great. I have built it three times in different versions. I have two more who are in reserve. Their time will come.

This is the latest version I built and I wanted it to be a Bulgarian Steyr 1500A / 01. But in all probability you will overtake me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Whatever you choose, gentlemen, will be great.
Kind regards!
Kalin

5 Likes

Thanks Kalin, and good to have you here again, it’s been a while. Thanks for those bits of info on the builds you did. Very useful and will be helping me make my decision… I am leaning towards a Stug G now :+1:

A question for you or @ayovtshev … Did the Stugs all have side skirts fitted or was that hit and miss ?

1 Like

Ahhh…

Kalin- the Modelling Machine!!!

:beer: Баце!
Angel

In Bulgarian Royal Army the StuG III was used in its primary role- as infantry support vehicle.

Thus- unlike Bulgarian Panzer IV’s- all Bulgarian StuG’s had the side Schuerzen on (at least till the first enemy encounter).

The StuG’s participated in many urban combat operations, so there were Schuerzen lost and not replaced.

Full Schuerzen:

Partial Schuerzen:

All Schuerzen lost:

Bottomline- it is up to your liking, John!

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

3 backed up options. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Angel. I had noticed the white and it is good to have confirmation that it is appropriate. I have seen the four ring markings for the armoured brigade on several pics, including on your M222 (SdKfz 222) pic which also has the fleur-de-lis like marking too. Whilst not anything to do with a vehicle manufacturer, if it did, the time period would have been Auto Union which subsequently became AUDI. :joy:

One of the online traders I deal with here in Australia has Bison Decals sheet 35112 available, so I will be picking that up. It has several Bulgarian vehicle markings, including the rings, so expect more Bulgaria builds on my bench in future!

Good to hear from you Kalin. Nice work on the Stug and Steyr.

2 Likes

The AUDI-like emblem of the Armored Brigade symbolizes the cooperation on the battlefield of its four main elements-the Armored Regiment, the motorized Infantry Regiment, the Artillery Regiment and the Supporting Units(Recce, Engineers, Signals, Transport e. t. c.).

The Bison set is perfect as it covers many vehicles and I’ve almost used it up.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like