Bundeswehr M48

Roger that Timothy. I ordered the latest Revell iteration of the Bundeswehr version, thinking that it was a rebox with the US option and of course it isn’t! More fool me for not checking on something like Scalemates or similar. So, now I have a Bundeswehr one I don’t really want; however, I might try and combine it with one of the 2 Monogram kits I have in my stash and see if I can produce a US version - the only real problems then being the markings. White stars shouldn’t be a problem as I have some stencils I used for black stars on my MBT 70, and I also have a couple of sets of serial numbers from Perfect Scale Modellbau, so I might be able to concoct something. I don’t think I’ll take you up on your challenge though it would keep me on my toes; we’ll see.

I find US post war colour schemes a bit of a nightmare. I’m assuming therefore that up until 1968 then, that FS34087 was what I (in my innocence) refer to a Greenish Olive Drab, but thereafter it became a Brownish Olive Drab; would that be more or less right? I’m sure my use of the phrase “more or less” will set some purist teeth on edge, but any direction on establishing what was what post war would help; I don’t intend to model Vietnam vehicles at all so i do not need to identify what colours were used there.

Brian

Mea Culpa. I sorta lost track of who stared the thread. However, I feel the info bears pointing out in case newbies shy away from it because it’s “the wrong scale.”
'Nuff said on that. If you guys are gonna do Dueling Pattons, I highly recommend the Legend update for it. The turret surgery isn’t that hard at all.

Sorry Robert - 'wasn’t having a dig I just thought Timothy might be thinking “What the…?”

Anyway, the info on the M48 is all very welcome to me; I think I already knew about the scale of the Monogram one when I started it way back when. I do feel it still stands scrutiny up to a point and I might just see what I can do with it, using the Revell (Bundeswehr) version as a sort of donor kit, not least as I note the Revell kit has a somewhat over-textured finish on most surfaces.

I think I’ll pass on the Duel(!) - I’m pretty much tied up with my Leopard project at the moment and have been tinkering with a “What-If” as well. We’ll see; but please, keep the info coming.

Brian

Apologies Logan and Hauke - I didn’t acknowledge your comments; thank you very much.

Hauke, I must have built it around 10-15 years ago. The base is an A4-sized piece of MDF (I work to specific sizes as I can then use photocopying paper boxes for transit to shows. I invert the box so the model fits snugly into the lid, and the body of the box as it were provides me with a decent antennae height). I think I used sandpaper for the tarmac surface, and grass from the model railway fraternity. I made the traffic marker post from plastic strip. The track marks were made by using a rubber stamp ink pad, using some spare tracks pressed in and then applied to the road.

Thanks again for your interest.

Brian

I popped on Scalemates and checked the instructions for the two M48 kits. Doesnt look like building the CGA1 kit to US specs is too big an issue. (Good thing you didnt get the M48a2CGA2 kit. You’d be SOL.) Have to build it as an A2C (no parts for the tensioner between the last road wheel and sprocket) . Putty in the (or not open up?) the holes for the smoke grenade launchers. Don’t use the reflectors on the lower rear hull or the deflector looking thing on the turret roof. Tail lights are different (look at instruction sheet to see the difference) Might want to replace the jerry cans (they are German style) Biggest issue is the gap in the turret basket. The German version has the box for the IR spot light back there. Should be easy enough to "borrow " the basket from the elderly Monogram kit (Though seems they are more like 1/32) … same for the tail lights… or just use some styrene rod to connect the two kit basket sections. As for the paint. From what I glean the pre 67 paint was more brownish … pretty much the same as the late WW2 stuff. (ANA319 is referenced) The post 67 color, despite the same FS # is alittle lighter and leans towards yellow. Modelmasters 2050 is the ANA319. Their 1711 is the FS34087. This page is a pain in the ass with all the ads, but is a good reference
on OD. https://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_odpaint.php

Thanks for that Timothy; however, as it happens I’ve since stalked the Net and identified the Revell kit; I agonized for all of 3 seconds then thought “Why not?” and bought it. 'Should arrive next week. Your comments on my initial plan are still helpful though, and thanks for the colour comments too.

All a bit of a cop-out but I shall probably still build it - sometime - possibly utilising a Monogram kit. I’ll scrutinize it and make a plan.

Brian

Finished up the Kampfpanzer M48A2CGA2. PzBtl 543, Heimatschutzbrigade 54. Hermeskeil. 1989. Use a little artistic license. Instructions say this version was s’pose to be RAL6014. By 89 , I thought it may have been repainted in the 3 tone camo. The M48A2 /2C is s’pose to be here Monday. :slight_smile:

• List item
2 Likes

Nice Timothy, very nice. I now feel that I should tackle this one too - I have the ancient Lo Models conversion set and yet another spare Monogram base kit. There’s nothing quite like this site for getting the modelling juices going!

I think you’re OK for the tri-colour scheme for having come in, in the mid-80s.

I figure I’m pretty safe on the punt with the NATO scheme. Like you said it came in in the mid 80s. By 89 even a reserve unit would probably repainted their tanks. I thought the Hoffman device and whoppie light were neat add ons. The M48A2 /A2C kit should land tomorrow (Though of late the mail hasn’t been being delivered till 20:00 so it might as well be Tuesday’s mail.) . Got a M48A5K to tinker with today. Here’s the two KP M48s side by side.

2 Likes

Nice to see the 2 types side by side - a useful comparison to illustrate the flexibility of the design and the German efforts to up gun.

Now, who’d a thought it but my Revell A2AC turned up just minutes ago - all hail to the eBay seller and the Royal Mail. Now I am sorely tempted to start tinkering and I have my Leopard to complete, but I am now looking forward to this one now - and will probably go for the same finish - ie the Fulda-based unit.

So, no duel Timothy but thanks for the inspiration!

Brian

Mine landed today too. (along with a Tiran 4) managed to knock out the turret. Just need to put antenneas on (saving till last. Got ahead of myself on the GA2 and had to put the things on 5 times … find them on the floor 3 times. ) and do the weathering. Markings are 14th ACR, Fulda. Took a little artistic license with the name on the gun. You can see the difference in the old and new OD. I used the post 67 FS34087 on the jerry cans. Pre 67 for the turret.

3 Likes

Timothy, wow - you’re a far more energetic modeller than me that’s for sure! All looking good.

I hadn’t quite appreciated that 1967 was the transition date for the OD variations. So, as I understand it Modelmasters 2050 is the correct shade pre-67? Are there any other contenders for this colour say Tamiya, or even Humbrol or Revell?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Not so much energetic as live alone , on disability (Plus side, dont have to worry about loosing income during a Covid lock down. :slight_smile: ) and basicly dont have a life. Besides, these M48 kits pretty much fall together. Most time is waiting for the paint to dry. Speaking of paint, therewas a web site that had a list ofall the RAL,FS, BSC colors and their equivilents in all the major paint makers. Tried to find it yesterday. No joy. MM 2050 is good for about 43 to 67. (bout the only change from ww2 to post war was a switch to a gloss finish) Not familiar with the Humbrol / Revell paints. Somewhere I heard that theTamiya JGSDF OD was a good match, but it seems to have a blueish tint to it. The “jeeps” , canvas topped one is the current JGSDF green. Other is the OD.

1 Like

is this version of the M48 the same as the one used by the Americans in Vietnam, if not does anyone know what the external differences are?

Ones used in Vietnam were M48A3s. Biggest difference was the A3 had a diesel engine. Rear hull was a bit different (same as M60s) . Had bigger air cleaner boxes on the fenders. After 67 they had the vision ring riser for the commander’s turret. Tamiya’s kit is a post 67 A3. (if it can be built without the riser it can be a pre 67.) Hull on right is an A3, left is A2. Air cleaners are just aft of the "

turret ring"

1 Like

Standard TC’s turret (actually on an M60, but they are similar.
m60a3cupola TC turret with riser OIP (1)

1 Like

Timothy, thanks for the response; I’ll try and track down some Model Master paint here in the UK - not as easy as one might think after scoping for UK stockists - either out of stock or simply not held. Anyway, no great rush.

Nice jeeps too.

Brian

@sluff,

there doesn’t seem to be to much difference, the air boxes are available as an aftermarket option in resin iirc so it should be fixable

M48A2s were used in Vietnam in small numbers.

2 Likes

@Beentheredonethat, any idea what units used them, marine or army?