Bushnell's Turtle. Revolutionary war submersible. 1:35 3D print

Hmmm… You know, the wee 1:32 interior might just work…

Big one is kinda awesome though.

Some parts are going to need slight changes between scales. the ‘panel lines’ on the outside of the barrel staves will need to be a bit finer on the big one, and some parts for the interior on the wee one will need some judicious beefing up.

4 Likes

:100: I agree

2 Likes

Hmmm. I think this’ll work. especially if I re-orient the file so there’s only one support attached to the chain…

I managed to remove it, but was a bit scary.

Next print will be better.

Also: Bilge Pumps.

4 Likes

Is that a 1/16 and 1/32 interior?

Yep. Still not 100% on the 1:32, I’ll test it properly when the new printer arrives.

1 Like

More editing and test builds… (1:16)

found it was easily possible to print the Ballast release (hand brake) in place. Yay! fewer fiddly bits.

Crankshaft goes in well, decided to add some guides for the pedals. I’m also going to beef them up a bit.

5 Likes

Question, with it being 1/16, have you thought about printing parts so one could replace the chain with a real chain? I think with the smaller scale the material between the chain is fine and undetectable but at a larger scale that gaps would be nice but I am sure printing wouldn’t allow it (includes redrawing the part) and clean up would be a chore.
One could cut off the exiting wheel and chain and scratch some new wheels sans chain. Just spit balling ideas this morning (local time).

I’m still in two minds about the chain. Technically it probably should be a box chain running over a toothed wheel. And yes, giving alternatives would be groovy. I’ve ordered some chain and will have a play when it gets here.

Some more trial fittage:

Pretty happy so far. I’m going to modify the hand brake again, just a tad higher do it doesn’t conflict with the pedal. a small handful of other adjustments and this area will be good to go.

of course I could exchange the chain for a couple cogs? My inner steampunk is wanting me to try.

I’m determined to make this as easy to build as possible within the constraints of the medium.

Also I mad a slightly prettier handwheel.

5 Likes

Well Sh*t.

That’s WAY more fun…

AND about 156% more likely the chap will thoroughly moustache entangled. I approve.

4 Likes

Will it even need any ballast?
The way you keep adding “iron” …
:innocent:

Wouldn’t a two sided hand-crank be more efficient?
It would require taking one hand off the handwheel occasionally but I think
the gain in power would be worth it. Handcranking with the right hand only could
also induce a wobbling motion to the operator.

1 Like

Are you fat shaming my turtle?

Two feet and a hand should be enough. Besides, his left hand will be busy enough with raising/diving steering, pumping, moustache twirling and gesticulating wildly through the portholes.

Aaaayyy… what da matter? I’m Diving here

4 Likes

If he is, a couple of dives will take care of that issue if one doesn’t drown first. :joy:

My father in law (deceased many years before I married his daughter) served aboard a German supply ship (Kersten Miles) hiding around the Canary Islands pretending to be some other ship.
He belonged to the Abwehr organisation.
One of the stories he told was about when they received some of the one man subs/torpedoes

The operator/pilot was cocky as h*ll when he got into the tiny cockpit, saluted and Heil Hitlered before closing the dome. When he got back after the test run/exercise and they opened the dome again he was pale as a sheet, the cockpit smelled of “the brown stuff” and various other fear-related odours. He was less cocky now …

4 Likes

Craig Clark / Mousemuffins - Having read through this post several times, I am in awe of your talent sir.
3D printing is still somewhat of a mystery to me and just seeing the renderings let alone the finished pieces is remarkable.
A true talent all the way around. Kudos to you!

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

…not to mention causing uneven muscle development, or the “fiddler crab” effect!

2 Likes

um-hum … I think I get the drift :wink:

1 Like

Cogs happened.

…I’m thinking they should be photo-etch for the 1:32, but I’m not sure I want to spend the extra money/deal with the possible additional downtime. Nevertheless, I’ll investigate. Anyone know someone in Australia who can do me some etchings?

3 Likes

Found a place for etchings. I think the 1:16 scale will be fine with resin prints for the cogs. They were just too difficult/tedious in 1:32.

…so depending on turn-around time, the 1:32 may be delayed a bit after the 1:16.

Added What I think is a last part to the lower interior. The Water inlet valve. There was no ballast tank to speak off, the operator just let the water in to splash about the bottom of the vessel and then pumped it out again when surfacing was desirable.

Wait.

No. I lied.

Trim ballast.

5 Likes

Sigh.

This is the last bit. I promise.

Bellows to push out stale air. (used in conjunction with air inlet valves in the hatch)

Next up: Depth pressure gauge. And finish off the compass.

3 Likes

seat temporarily removed for complexity.

3 Likes