By JOVe! Grumman's toothy Mohawk JOV-1A

HI, everyone! Here at long last is Episode 4. I’ve been taking things slow for a variety of reasons, like family, health, work, home and garden, and friends. Modeling has taken a back seat for a couple of reasons- mostly because my mojo has gone into a slump. A big part of that was the loss of my good friend and modelling pal Matt Odom, who recently lost his 13 year battle with brain cancer. He was a brilliant 1/32 scale enthusiast, a Canadian cop and loving family man. We communicated mainly by text and sometimes, phone. It was just too much to sit at the bench and not be able to text him a pic of my newest dumb idea, or answer a question from his ever-inquisitive mind. Add in the slow recovery from my heart surgery- which included a measure of brain fog (or ‘pump brain’) from the heart/lung machine. To top it all off I’m developing cataracts, even as my eyesight begin to regress with age. The latter is curable, the former demand patience and perseverance. I’m not giving up- no way! I’m just taking my time, and I hope to continue to keep sharing the joys and tribulations of this hobby with all my fellows around the globe- cheers!
PS- As you may know I always end my posts with a screensaver of the pin-up art. I have had them removed on my previous 3 By JOVe post, as they may offend the tender-hearted, particularly American readers. If you’d like to see them reinstated, please contact the forum moderator- thanks!

10 Likes

Wow! Just, Wow!

What a great tribute!

Oh, and the pin up art works for me too :relaxed:

1 Like

Always amazing and instructive. Thank you! I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. I have a friend at stage 4 who was just getting back into modeling. You made an excellent tribute.

1 Like

Amazing work as always Chuck, I can’t wait to see next installment, I presume that it is going to be conclusion of engines and wheel bays I’m very curious to see how those came out. Lastly my condolences on the passing of your friend and fellow modeler.

Thanks, Russelle! Glad you appreciate the girl art. It keeps things interesting, I think. :wink:

Witness-thanks! And I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. F— cancer!

Treadstone- You’re always so kind- thanks. I’m actually working up the ejection seats right now- almost done reupholstering them properly with Magic Sculpt epoxy putty. I’d like to get the fuselage closed up, as the cockpit is the most intense part of the build. I’ll be beefing and superdetailing the windshield frame. It and the rear panel are the pivot points fpr the side windows- I have a plan!

There’s a bit of a curse in having lots and lots of reference on a build. I keep finding new things about the Mohawk, and have been figuring out some of the more shadowy ends as well. In spite of my soon-to-be corrected cataracts and relapsing vision problems I’ve actually gotten some stuff done! Come along and see just what, won’t you?

11 Likes

just amazing! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ditto what Russell said.

1 Like

Thanks, Russell and Treadstone! Some of this is pretty new ground for- especially the sculpting.

1 Like

Cataract update: the surgery was a complete success. I was cleared today with no additional lens prescription, no taping a goggle over my eye at night, and no exercise restrictions- yay! I’ve even scheduled the second surgery for mid-December. I was initially quite worried due to my skinny little corneas, further reduced to the absolute max by my 2012 Lasik operation. Thankfully my fears were unfounded, my vision is perfect in distance, and only needs a pair of reading glasses for, well, reading and the like. While in the healing process I played around with drawing on paper for the first time in a while and got a commission sketch done- I’ll post that once it reaches it’s new home. I haven’t done any modeling for the past week, but I have started a kit review for a companion piece to the Mohawk. Here’s a work-in-progress sketch of the special guest host, my pal Andrew (Meeting Comics Neal’s Namdroid! Namdroid is a fictional '60s TV show-within-a-gag-comic, Andrew’s hilarious, mature-themed Meeting Comics. I’ll be posting a brief photo review of a nice little resin kit real soon- cheers!

7 Likes

Congrats on the successful surgery, Chuck :relaxed:

3 Likes

Thanks, Russelle- the second will be on the 15th, right around the corner. In the meantime, here’s that review I mentioned. I think this little beauty will look great next to the Mohawk- enjoy.

3 Likes

Hello, all! Sorry to have been absent, but I’m currently sidelined with vision problems. My second cataract surgery was a bit off, as the surgeon had to use some sort of calculations to recreate what my corneas looked like before the lasik I had back in 2012. The right eye was fine- right on the mark. The left eye- two diopters off, plus, a secondary cataract has formed. The former will corrected via a “piggyback” lens inserted under my cornea; the later via a 30-second laser procedure done right in his clinic. That’s all being delayed by a new problem with my right eye: swelling of the retina. It’s being treated with steroids- an injection into the rear of the right upper eyelid (yikes!) and 4 times daily drops X2. I’m about 10 days into the month-long course and will see the doc on February 9th. I can’t say it’s much fun- reading glasses correct my left, cloudy eye and blur my right, and the vision of my right eye is distorted in a "bubbled fashion. It can be a bit nauseating. Fine detail work and drawing are pretty much out of the question until I recover, so go, steroids! I am seeing a bit of improvement…

8 Likes

That’s a real bummer to hear Chuck, sending positive vibes your way for a speedy and thorough recovery.

2 Likes

I’m back at last. Been taking a lot of steroidal eye drops and have had a good deal of improvement, There’s more therapies to come- but here’s what I’ve managed to get done at the bench in the past several months. Cheers!

8 Likes

Chuck, I’m glad they eyes are getting better. Can’t imagine the stress that put you through. Happy to see the continuation of the build and I always appreciate how you describe your process.

Thanks, my friend! Next Friday I’ll be getting the secondary cataract in my right eye fixed in a 3-second laser treatment at my doc’s office. If that doesn’t work it may well mean retina surgery- and if I have to, I have to.

Its great to have you back Chuck, I’m glad that your vision issue has been (mostly) corrected, I do hope everything goes well for you at your next MD visit. Great work on the cockpit, I can’t wait to see how you tackle those aftermarket engine nacelles.

2 Likes

Thanks, Treadstone! I’m getting geared up to mix and match the Roden, Black Dog and Quickboost cowls- that oughtta be fun!

1 Like

That ought to be fun.

1 Like