Cabooses

Nice. The caboose appears to be an ex-Louisville & Nashville car.

1 Like

Can’t say.
If/when I go out there again I will try and determine their origins.

I would like to have a caboose to stay in, be it a cabin, or extra place at home.

1 Like

This one passed us in Hillside Yard in Queens, NY a few minutes ago. Didn’t know we still had one around here. It’s coupled to the rear of a roadway maintenance machine.

Have no idea who the original owner was, I’m sure it can be researched.

1 Like

There are still quite a few in that role. Crews often live on the road for extended periods of time.
However, the rail grinding train I’m building actual has purpose built living quarters and even a kitchen car built on what appear to be old flatbed cars.

I forgot to mention this is a Long Island Railroad caboose btw, number 69. The graffiti has obscured the name.

IIRC it was built for the LIRR in the '60s, delivered in orange & grey paint, then repainted in yellow/blue MTA paint after the LIRR was absorbed by the NY commuter system, before being restored in a “heritage” scheme as seen. Good to see it’s still serving its original owners!

Yes I thought it was something like that. This one has a little graffiti on the outside but doesn’t look that bad actually. Not sure what the inside looks like but as Robert said these function as living quarters for some crews on the road for a period of time although our Rail Road doesn’t use them for extended periods of time ( maybe a couple of days tops ) because our system isn’t that big. It’s certainly not like the freight railroads in other parts of the country that travel long distances. It’s only a little over 100 miles from Penn Station in Manhattan to Montauk point on the eastern end of Long Island.

If this is LIRR 69 and not LIRR 89 then it may be at the very bottom of this page:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcabooseroster.htm

Wow I forgot about that site. Now that I look at the picture I took I think it might be 89 and not 69.

1 Like

My guess is it is little more than a rolling desk these days! With maybe a coffee pot and fridge for milk? I doubt anyone sleeps on board in the 21st century. And the fleet only went up to 70, so it’s definitely C69…

Still it’s good to see memories of my childhood on the Montauk branch!

1 Like

Yes Tom I believe you are right. I got a brief glimpse inside as they rolled by and it looked like there was just tools and materials inside.

I think there might be one more on the current roster but I don’t think it’s used at all. There’s also one out in Riverhead where the LIRR train museum is.

Curious how the body is significantly grimier than the sides of the cupola. Good weathering reference.

Took a trip on the Texas State Railroad yesterday. It was supopsed to have been a steam engine trip but the day before the ride we received notification that the steam engine was broken and we could still choose the diesel if we wanted. We did.
Saw two renovated csbooses:

For me the real find was these two tankers with straps. I’d like to scratchbuild at least one of them:

My wife booked seats in the observation dome. A nice way so spend a Saturday.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you got a tour of the shop as well

Tichy, https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Home.aspx, makes a kit that is similar. Differences in the dome, Tichy appears larger, and the number of bands. The Tichy car is a USRA design w/4 bands.

We were about a half hour down the road when we got a call that someone had found my daughter’s wallet. That even though I had made sure everyone did a final sweep of the trsain car before we got off. I think she must have lost it in the rest room. By the time we got back only two employess were still there, and the shop guys were long gone. I had the whole place to myself - even got to get on top and take good photos. In order that Cindy Lou didn’t feel bad for making us turn around I told her a few times the good photos would not have been possible without her - which was true. I also got very photos of the four steam locomotives without kids climbing all over them. A happy accident indeed. I’ll post more photos in the appriate thread soon,

1 Like

We were about a half hour down the road when we got a call that someone had found my daughter’s wallet. That even though I had made sure everyone did a final sweep of the train car before we got off. I think she must have lost it in the rest room. By the time we got back only two employees were still there, and the shop guys were long gone. I had the whole place to myself - even got to get on top and take good photos. In order that Cindy Lou didn’t feel bad for making us turn around I told her a few times the good photos would not have been possible without her - which was true. I also got very photos of the four steam locomotives without kids climbing all over them. A happy accident indeed. I’ll post more photos in the appriate thread soon,

This is the FP9 that ended up pulling us.

1 Like

Some items on display seen recently at the Bluegrass Railroad Museum, Versailles, KY.

2 Likes