Calling out a know-it-all on Facebook

Or 7 or 8.

1 Like

Sorry, it’s the Airfix Modeller Group.
Generally a decent group, some good builds do get posted and shared.
There does seem to be a small group who don’t like other manufacturers and occasionally pipe up and moan ‘that’snot Airfix and shouldn’t be here.’ Usually the ones you know as fact haven’t built anything since they were 8 and are just their to reminisce.

Anyway, looking at the trolls profile, he’s not as we suspected some kid, but a guy in his 50’s. Frequently posts builds from all over the internet on the page, but never anything of his own.

4 Likes

Funnily, just had a mate, invite me to join that site. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

There have been some really nice WW1 builds recently posted, some of which are vacforms so worth joining.
See if you can spot this fella.

The Squad Leader games, Dauntless and the Air Force expansion pack, and Tobruk, the days playing those eclipsed model building for a couple of years, but led to a flurry of model building for a couple of years. Some of my surviving “characters” - planes, tanks, figures - became the subject of freelancing units and markings for many of my models. Good times good memories. Also forced me to expand my reference libraries to make the camouflage and markings even more authentic.

3 Likes

Bill Murray’s gonna fix that gopher!!

2 Likes

Image result for caddyshack

2 Likes

Likewise…personally attacked by a couple of people here on Armorama. Thank God there is not enough time in the day for them to hit everyone! :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s too bad to hear, Jack. I’ve been on Armorama since its inception for 22+ years, and I have seen some rude people come and go. A lot of them left but there are unfortunately still a few here and there. It has gotten a lot better than it was in the past however.
I feel like Facebook has a lot of those offensive, often with wrong info, modelers because it’s a bigger forum than the good old Armorama or Kitmaker.
Just a few minutes ago, some person claimed 90% of plastic model companies are Chinese on Tamiya Model Magazine group out of all places. I had to point out the facts:

A good portion of plastic kits come from Japanese companies. Then there are several reputable companies from Taiwan (AFV Club), Korea (Academy), Ukraine (Miniart), and Germany (Revell). Also there is legacy from Italeri (their kits are mediocre in my opinion). Remember, you’re writing on Tamiya Model Magazine group - Tamiya is the venerable Japanese company and a pioneer in this hobby. I was on the retail side of this hobby for a short period of time and remember hearing that Japan may be the biggest market (and manufacturer) for plastic model kits hands down. Not China, not EU, not North America. Bandai’s (also a Japanese company) Gundam line alone beats the revenue of armor and airplane model sales globally, which is also a Japanese company. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandai. Bandai’s annual revenue in 2019 alone was around 200 million USD. Tamiya’s annual revenue is estimated between 70 mil and 100 mil USD. Dragon, Meng, Trumpeter, Takom, and RFM are all small and do not come close to the sizes of Bandai and Tamiya as far as I know.

Then there were these “enamel paint enthusiasts” or “enamel die-hard fans” trying to challenge me that acrylic paints are just as toxic as enamels without any scientific or industry data to back up their claims. I had no idea that enamel vs. acrylic paint was such a controversial topic! :smiley: The debate was heated like watching electric car vs. gas car arguments.

Even after I presented toxicity data, https://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/634402.pdf vs. https://www.hobbyco.net/content/files/msds/mini%20acrylic%20paint.pdf, and let them know I went to a graduate school for chemistry and work in the chemical industry, some guy was all fired up and said I was being snobby.

O, well. Some people just need to chill and be quiet.

5 Likes

So very, very true …
on ze otzzer hant, zere iz always ze ignore feature,
makez it pozzible to avoid seeing obnoxiouzz peeple

1 Like

Definately a Wednesday build! :thinking: :yum:

1 Like

I prefer to think that here at the Big A we’re a more exclusive club, while FaceAche attracts the great unwashed! :grin:

8 Likes

the unwashed masses

:grin: :+1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

There’re these remarkable things called books that are full of facts and information written by experts and historians. Some are even very inexpensive and can be purchased in e-book formats (so you don’t have to touch their smelly old paper pages!).

On the topic of WWI German tanks, oh my, here’s one written by Steven Zaloga that only costs US$20 (and can be found USED for just a couple of $$) that has all sorts of facts and figures in it about the German use of captured Entente tanks…

Osprey NVG 127: German Panzers 1914-18

Heck, a real cheap-skate can just read the single paragraph book description on Osprey’s website to learn that:

Efforts to catch-up [to allied tank production] proved difficult, and only a couple dozen German A7V tanks were completed in time to take part in the final campaigns of 1918. As a result, the majority of German panzer units actually used captured British tanks, the Beutepanzer.

What an amazing world we live in…

2 Likes

Another good one tonight.
A response to someone complaining that because paints don’t match the shade on the instructions, the paints are wrong.
Three sensible responses and one based on pure ignorance and laziness.

I can’t be bothered to respond to this. Don’t have the energy tonight.

4 Likes

Why would you waste your time even reading it?
I doubt an Allied fighter pilot would really care what shade of green that Japanese Zero was.:dizzy_face::rofl::thinking:

5 Likes

Entertainment I think.
Can be amusing sometimes.

3 Likes

I know where your coming from. I totally agree.:+1:

2 Likes

Am I mistaken or do I smell a faint whiff of sarcasm in these words:
“depending on how colour blind the painter was” ?

4 Likes

YouTube threw this video at me:

I bet that roof inspector spends his spare time being an “expert” in some fb-group…

3 Likes