Calling out a know-it-all on Facebook

One of the things I love about our little community here is how we learn from one another. Whenever we need a little help, whether it be a modelling technique, or historical or technical information, we’re all there to chip in.
And it’s taken on board.

And then we have Facebook. Names and images are removed to protect identities.

The OP simply shared an image of the Airfix Mk1 and asked for advice looking for German figures. And then the ‘expert’ piped up with his nonsense.
If I’m in the wrong posting this I’ll remove it. It has amused me.

2 Likes

But wait, he responded with his evidence:

Laughable.

There’s always one “Armor Expert” in every forum that will claim that they have all the answers and when someone questions their knowledge, the thread descends into name-calling and "LOL"ing and the main point of the discussion gets lost in the tirade of insults.

3 Likes

Facebook is awful for it. The modelling pages there can become incredibly toxic.
To the point I’ve seen people proudly sharing a completed build, saying they used X kit, with Y’s paint and Z’s decals. And get the response of why didn’t you use A’s kit, Z’s is crap? Y’s paints are rubbish you should only use B’s blah blah blah.

Never see that here.

2 Likes

The Germans DID captured a lot of MkIV tanks, in fact, they captured enough of them to actually form four tank companies equipped with captured MkIV tanks.

3 Likes

Exactly! But this guy just won’t accept it.
I’d call him out in his grammar but that would be childish and not what I want it to descend to.
I’d like to take the opportunity to try and teach and maybe he could learn something, but I don’t think he will.

I stay away from Facebook when it comes to asking for advice. I’m a member of a the Meng Models Appreciation Page, and it’s a tightly run operation. If i need advice, i come here for it.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen some pretty horrendous tirades at times. Been the subject once or twice.

Quite some time back I posted pictures of all the scratch built work I did on my Hobby Boss Dana only for a troll come back and tell me it was all wrong. When I posted photos of the one I had personally photographed in Czech Republic and some others, he rambled on about me photoshopping the pics just to support my work!

I visit facebook groups to see other’s work and get ideas, but I rarely post there myself anymore.

5 Likes

Good on ya, mate! One grammar Nazi per forum is quite enough, thank you. :rofl:

3 Likes

I just remembered one heated argument about the A7V. Someone had politely pointed out there was only one original left in the world, and that was here in Queensland Australia. The troll argued that ‘it was impossible’. ‘How could an A7V get here?’ ‘The one in Koblenz is the real one and the Australian one was fake…’

He just would not accept the Germans came to Australia and measured Up ‘Mephisto’ and went home and built the replica in Koblenz.

3 Likes

There’s also a replica A7V at the Bovington Museum. But yes, the only surviving A7V is at the Australian War Museum in Queensland.

2 Likes

Well I sent him a bunch of links to various sites, including one which lists all known captured British tanks used by Germany.

We’ll see.

1 Like

Don’t blame you.
While most of the feedback is going to be positive, you can do without the negatives and trying to justify yourself to those trolls. It’s soul sucking.

2 Likes

Been there, tryed to help someone on an CVR(t) appreciation site, by suggesting were to get the right paint from, one of them didn’t like my suggestion,( the company I suggested providing to the military and enactment clubs,)and had, two others start at me as well, stating rip-offs and not accurate, just waiting quietly now to return the abuse,

4 Likes

There are some great modelers in some of the Facebook groups and I also only go to see the work that’s posted and occasionally I’ll hit the like button but I try to stay away from the Comments section if only to post a compliment. I do post my work on our club page but that’s it.

2 Likes

After providing the evidence, pointing him in the right direction, recommending a book, he comes back with this:

The typical ‘I can’t back up my claim so I’ll resort to insults’ response. I’m still unsure of his whittering about North Africa had to do with WW1?

Ok, I’m done arguing.

2 Likes

As George Carlin used to say.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

12 Likes

I don’t do Facebook due to that crap and politics

4 Likes

And Carl Sagan’s ‘Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.’
I asked earlier in the discussion for his evidence, but he can’t give it.

2 Likes

So he resorted to insults. Typical response with some people on the internet.

1 Like