Canmedic’s Motor Pool

Thanks Doug!

Yeah, the tires on the LAV are the supplied vinyl ones.

I know I mentioned getting some resin ones in the 8 Wheel thread, but as far as rubber tires go, they actually aren’t bad at all. It really a question of what sort of look you’re going for. I found these ones very stiff compared to previous Trumpeter builds and I wasn’t able to get the sag into them I would have liked. I also think they might be a little narrow in terms of tread width.

Give them a good scouring with some 400 grit though and they come out ok.

Two amazing builds @Canmedic ! What Canadian armour is next?

1 Like

They really do look very nice. Different artistic styles interest me as much as different vehicles. The pin washes (I think that is the right term) on your two vehicles are significantly more refined than my first three efforts, meaning I need to use a more dilute solution. The streaks on your vehicles also look more refined and natural, something I need to emulate.

That LAV-III may be the exact same kit I purchased a few weeks back. If I recall correctly, the box reads, “Canadian Kodiak”. While I understand that better LAV-III kits exist, your example proves very good results are possible.

1 Like

A very thin brush and lots of clean up were also involved. I use a Liner Brush similar to this. I find it gives me better control. A good gloss or semi-gloss/satin coat will really help with flow and makes clean up simple. I used Future on this particular build.

All the washes I used on this one were AK brand. Same with the dust effects, which involved a lot of swearing. I don’t actually like the AK dust/earth effects but I’m determined to beat them into submission.

This is indeed the same kit you’ve purchased. I think you’re mistaken about better kits being available because as far as I can see it’s the only game I town.

There are several offerings of the Stryker family of vehicles, which are based on the LAV III chassis (they’re all made by General Dynamics Land Systems), but there are differences between the platforms. The Trumpeter kit is the only one that’ll get you a Canadian vehicle.

My brushes all need replacement but I cannot settle on a brand. One would think that, given modern technology, someone could make a cheap synthetic brush that keeps a tip, does not shed, and does not fall apart, but if it exists, I cannot find it!

The plethora of specialty model paints now available makes choosing a particular product rather daunting. After my experience with Vallejo acrylics, I find myself exercising much greater restraint before making a major purchase. A number of AK products interest me but I am holding off until I get a better handle on what I already own.

As someone with no military experience who knows very little about modern armored vehicles, I cannot differentiate one LAV from the next, nor was I aware that Trumpeter produces the only Kodiak. :slight_smile: My first thought was, “Oh, that is a really cheap kit.” My second was, “Strykers look neat and I’ve never built one before.” My third was, “Oh. It’s a Canadian Kodiak. I don’t have a Canadian vehicle in my collection.” My fourth thought was, “Trumpeter. And it has vinyl tires. That sucks.” Then I hit, “Buy Now”.

Seeing yours, I am glad I bought it.

1 Like

Some great looking vehicles there Don, I especially like the unusual paint scheme on the Centurion, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

1 Like