Canmedic’s Motor Pool

Beautiful work Don.

1 Like

Yeah that’s really excellent work there.

1 Like

These are the kits I cut my teeth on getting back into modelmaking. Excellent work @Canmedic . You really are doing these subjects justice.

1 Like

Thanks man. Grizzly will be next, but I’m holding off as there’s a rumour of a corrected turret coming for it.

I really wish someone would do an Iltis and an LSVW but I’ll probably have more luck winning the next LottoMax than ever seeing those.

1 Like

Excellent build Don. Looks terrific :+1:

Yep, absolutely beautiful!

Awesome build Don! Love the colors and weathering

1 Like

Beautiful Husky you have there Don- the camo is spot on and the little details like the wiring, the lights and the tools are perfectly finished. Nice, subtle weathering to let all the details shine through too.

1 Like

Don, I’m somewhat late on parade here - as usual - but this is a lovely collection; very impressive indeed and has inspired me to get off my sorry ass and get to the bench again.

'Love the weathering and camouflage effects - a man after my own heart.

For info there is a 1:35 scale Iltis available but its a bespoke ready-made piece and it ain’t cheap, however…

VW Iltis LKW 0,5t leicht “Bundeswehr” | Military 1/35 | Schuco | Peter Nasshan Modellautos

There used to be a resin kit available but I can’t quite remember who made it; I have a feeling it’s long gone.

Now, as it happens I have a Schuco model in my possession - not of the Iltis - but the VW 181 and despite the second mortgage, it really is a lovely little model; I hope to use it soon (yeah, right) in an appropriate dio. Anyway, for what it’s worth; Peter Nasshan provides a very good service.

Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Ooooofff. You weren’t kidding about the price!

That does look really slick however. And you’re right about the old resin kit. I think it was actually Resicast. Sadly I think the Iltis will forever be missing from my shelf. Maybe if I ever get around to joining the 3D printing game I’ll be able to fashion something.

Don, there was something niggling away at me and after a bit of brain-racking I remembered that Elite Modellbau does Bundeswehr stuff; a bit more digging and Lo! And behold!

VW Iltis 0,5t gl 1/35 - Militärmodellbau Mörs (elitemodell.de)

As far as I’m aware they’re still in business; I purchased an HS 30 and a couple of MUNGAs around, I think, 18 months or so ago. Anyway, for what it’s worth. I feel the price is about the norm for resin. I also find that resin often puts up a fight (coupled sometimes with less than adequate instructions but I’m sure you’re aware of all this) but managed to wrestle another MUNGA some time ago into more or less acceptable shape, seen here in this rather poor pic next to my Conqueror:

Conqueror 2 (1)

All I’m saying is that their stuff is pretty good; besides, possibly the only game in town!

2 Likes

Oh nice, thanks Brian. €70 is still better than €114! I’ll keep this in mind!

In 1954 following the signing of the Geneva Agreement, the International Commission for Supervision and Control (ICSC) was established to monitor the withdrawal of French Forces from Vietnam and enforce the other terms of the agreement, including what was eventually hoped to be free and fair elections across Vietnam.

On the ground, there were observers from Canada, Poland and India, thus ensuring representation from East, West and Non-Aligned countries.

Sidelined from 1965 onwards due to the war, the commission was reestablished in 1973 as the International Commission for Control and Supervision (ICCS).

Canada participated in this second mission from January until July 1973 when it was replaced by a delegation from Iran

The vehicle is (almost) an M151A1. These were assigned from US Army stocks already in country and repainted in ICCS markings.

I say almost because the base kit is actually Tamiya’s M151A2 as it’s all I could lay my hands on. I corrected the front fenders and the rear wheel arches but I totally blanked on the 24v socket on the passenger front and I didn’t have a suitable replacement for the steering wheel.

This build was going soooo well, and then along came Mr. Murphy at the end. I goofed major and smudged the ICCS markings on the frames. I had hand drawn them with a sharpie as I didn’t have any suitable letters and then wasn’t paying attention to what my fingers were doing… oh well.

5 Likes

Well I for one think that looks awesome. Another fantastic build!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing these pictures of your lovely collection. Threads like this one inspire me to keep pushing ahead through all the little annoyances and setbacks.

I particularly like camouflage netting/alien fungal growth on the M109. A topical cream would probably clear that up.

What is the, ‘Pile of Shame’? It sounds like something the dog left after getting into the bean dip.

1 Like

Thanks man! None of them are perfect but some days I do feel like I’m starting to get the hang of it.

The pile of shame is where builds go that through either frustration, boredom or “Oooo, shiny!” I have fallen out of love with. It is currently occupied by an M113 who’s after market bit are trying my patience.

Ah. Got it. Mine is more like the ‘Graveyard of Lost Vehicles’, sort of like the fleet of derelict ships in the old Space:1999 episode, Dragon’s Domain. They just sort of drifted off into the closet, lost and mostly forgotten.

1 Like

Hello and welcome back to this week’s PM cycle, now with new and improved photography setup!

The history of the Centurion is well documented elsewhere, so I’ll spare the details, but here’s a quick overview of Canadian service.

The Canadian Army operated various Mks of Centurion from the early 50s through the mid 70s when they were replaced by the Leopard C1. They served as the backbone of Canadian armoured formations in Germany as well as in domestic training roles.

This particular example is a Mk 5, done up as semi-fictitious unit assigned to the Armour School in the late 60s right at the end of its time at CFB Borden prior to moving to CFB Gagetown in the 70s. I say semi-fictitious as the markings and camo theoretically could have ended up together, I just can’t find any evidence for it.

The camo pattern shown was a short lived experiment trialed at the end of the 60s before the adaptation of the Green/OD/Black scheme.

The markings are probably a little dated for this beast but given that it’s in a training role, repairing may not have been top priority. The Area Command shields were introduced in 1947. I can’t find a definitive date for when they were withdrawn, but I assume they would have gone no later than 1968 when the three services were “unified”.

Base kit is the AFV Club Mk. 5 Dozer. It’s build OOB except for the fantastic DEF canvas mantlet and R-Model metal tracks. Markings kindly supplied by @DennisatAutoloader

9 Likes

Entering service in 1999, the LAV III has become the workhorse of the Regular Force infantry regiments of the Canadian forces. Seeing extensive service and upgrades over the course of Canada’s engagement in Afghanistan, I was surprised to learn that their first deployment was actually on a UN Mission.

Established in July 2000, the United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea was tasked with maintaining peace and security along the newly created border between the two nations following the Ethiopian-Eritrean war while peace negotiations were underway. A joint Dutch-Canadian battalion arrived in country in December of that year.

The Canadian contingent, equipped primarily with older Coyote armoured reconnaissance vehicles also included some of the newly acquired LAV IIIs, (probably complete with new tank smell).

Base kit is from Trumpeter and it’s showing it’s age. Lots of fit and clean up issues. This is not my proudest build as to be honest, I got so fed up with cleaning and polishing that if I didn’t just forge ahead I would have probably shelved it. Still came out looking half decent as long as social distancing guidelines are maintained.

Stowage is from Black Dog. Decals are Trumpeter and for once they didn’t silver on me, so that’s a bonus!

9 Likes

Those both look quite lovely and I am extremely envious of how quickly you built, painted, and finished them.

Did you use the kit vinyl tires for the 8 wheeled armored car?

1 Like