Carrier Crossing 2, Honey I Shrunk The Diorama

Glad to see you back on track (pun not intended :wink:) my friend. The carriers look very nice. On the first one it looks as if there is some sanding dust caught in the primer?

2 Likes

Bit late to this thread and not sure how I missed it originally. At 1/35 scale this would be exceptional work. Given it’s braille scale it borders on witchcraft. Really enjoyable diorama so far.

1 Like

See here. Carrier Crossing cont - #37 by G-man69

1 Like

Thanks to everyone above for following and taking the time to provide feedback, it is definitely appreciated chaps, :slightly_smiling_face:.

As Erwin says, there is some cleaning up of debris, plus some seam lines I’ve missed, :roll_eyes:. Much of it isn’t visible with the Mk. I eyeball, especially given that each Carrier is only about 2" (50mm) long x 1" (25mm) wide, but the magnified camera images make it look like a dog’s dinner, :thinking: :slightly_frowning_face:.

G, :beer:

Hi all,

The second Carrier is now more or less built and undercoated. Using the Tamiya 1/35th instructions I noticed that the IBG kit doesn’t have the rear-view mirror on the drives side, so cobbled something together to represent this on both Carriers.

Below are some images of both, hopefully they look suitably different enough that they’re not too samey.

The clean-up comment still applies.

Some images of them in situ.

One more Carrier to build, thinking I might try to do one that approximates an AOP (Armoured, Observation Post)…any thoughts?

Cheers, :beer:,

G

6 Likes

Those look great sat on the base G a perfect fit, and you are right, the small size when its enlarged does show a lot of otherwise hidden bits. Once the paints on, they soon disappear.

An AOP would be nice, and give the whole scene a different look. Great work mate and keeps getting better :+1:

1 Like

Great amount of detail in those cool little carriers. I am impressed they are in braille scale,
J

1 Like

You can tell that it hasn’t rained for a long time!!! :smiley:

Fun aside, the carriers are turning out to look excellent!

1 Like

As JR said this is an exceptional diorama at this scale, just brilliant. A third carrier would be great, it depends what narrative (if any) you want to add. For example could it have tried to get over the bridge & nearly got wedged and/or in the process of reversing back out? If the figures exist it might be fun to see the commander & his driver gesticulating at each other :rage: :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone above for their kind words, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

Hi all,

Third Carrier pretty much built and primed, it’s meant to be suggestive of an AOP, :roll_eyes:. I’ve seen two different suggestions for the meaning of AOP…1) Armoured Observation Post, or 2) Artillery Observation Post…does anyone know which is correct, :thinking:?

A few images below of the third Carrier.

And a few images of the three Carriers in situ.

Please feel free to comment, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G

8 Likes

Good question about what AOP actually stands for. In theory, it could be used for both I suppose. It could be used as small armoured OP and use its size to its advantage to blend in and hide while using its body as the armoured protection and speed and manoeuvrability to bug out when needed. The Arty version makes a bit more sense as it would again ideal with its size and manoeuvrability to get up close to the front lines and co-ordinate and adjust arty fire missions as they were shot… And I know that doesnt really help lol … I would opt for the Arty OP for that time frame

Once again, outstanding amount of detail on those carriers.

Nicely done G !!!
Amazing amount of detail in that scale .

Thanks to John, Jerry and Glenn for their continued support and positive feedback, it’s much appreciated chaps, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:.

Hi all,

Thought I’d have a go at starting to roughly block out some colour, :roll_eyes:. Not sure how this is going to work out as the darned things are so small, overall length being only about 2" (50mm).

It’s too small for me with an airbrush, especially considering my lack of skill with said implement, :slightly_frowning_face: :roll_eyes:. So using a mix of oils and acrylics, layered and dappled on with a size 0 and 00 brush.

Once I’m happy enough with the colour I’ll tone it down with various washes…hopefully, :roll_eyes: :thinking:.

G

4 Likes

Lovely start G… I always find it very impressive that guys use oils for the kits … I wouldn’t have a clue where to begin using that medium… Colour looks great and nice highlights/faded look :+1:

2 Likes

They are looking great, and one can not tell that they are hand painted…

1 Like

Reminder to self… 1/72! :art: :paintbrush: :open_mouth:

—mike

1 Like

Hi G! Sorry I haven’t been here for a while. Looking great as usual! /Erik

1 Like