Carrier Crossing cont

I like it. It’s really starting to look the part. The water coming off of the track now looks convincing. I was skeptical at first. Carry on.

Yes! I never had any doubt you could do this and now I am vindicated. The right side track wash has been blended perfectly and you even caught the foam getting carried down stream. Brilliant. I know you aren’t finished but the final result can easily be extrapolated.
Well done Sir!
J

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind feedback, the water on the tracks has been a bit of a struggle, as a few folk pointed out, the material used looked more like icicles than run off water, :roll_eyes:.

I think using cotton wool soaked in the acrylic looks better, it gives that whiteness that I found difficult to replicate, I even tried oil paint, but it looked naff, :disappointed:.

Still not totally happy, but it was an exercise, so lessons learnt, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thanks again, and cheers, :beer:,

G

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the positive feedback, I think the use of strips of cotton wool has helped improve it, wish I’d thought of it earlier though, :grin:…but it’s just another modelling school day, lessons to be learnt, :smile:.

Cheers, :beer:.

G

Plenty of lesson to be learned about water from wait for it…ship model builders! Hahahaha. Some of the ocean scenes I have seen are jaw dropping.

Modelling is all about trying new things and learning from them, and this includes failures or dead end tracks. This is not bad, as in the end it will make you a greater modeller! I take it the water will gain more transparency after a few days?

Awesome work G-man, good to see this over here now!

Hi Jerry, Erwin,

As you both say, always something to learn, either from others, or from our own mistakes and experimentation, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

Hi Ski,

Thanks for the feedback, I was a little wary of moving over, being a dinosaur and a luddite something new is always a tad daunting…but once you get used to it the new forum works really well, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G

Hi all,

Only one image as all I’ve managed to do is the wake from the left hand track, :roll_eyes:.

G

6 Likes

That is a really great pic!

That’s excellent result ,
nLrMVuy

But that “one pic” says it all! Brilliant water stuff,just brilliant. I think that this is EXACTLY how that motion would play out in reality.
J

Hi Erwin,

Thank you for the kind feedback, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G

G, its looking outstanding. Someone could spend all day loading on the praise by the bucket load. simply put, you nailed it. Again !! I probably missed it earlier, but what is the process you use for the foliage ?
the water btw, perfect, that replicates the mild water flow against the vehicle disturbance.

Hi Piet,

Thank you, means a lot coming from you as I admire your work very much, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G

1 Like

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your continued support…not sure how accurate it is, but it’s my turn for artistic license, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

G

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind feedback, it’s much appreciated, :slightly_smiling_face:.

As for the foliage, apart from some basic static grass, most of it is different type of fern and lichen, plus a few weeds, that I’ve collected locally. I let it dry, dip it in diluted white glue to preserve and then either leave it as is, or paint it with oils if I want a tad more vibrancy.

Thanks again, and cheers, :beer:,

G

1 Like

Thanks for getting back so quick G. I thought the fern and lichen looked to real not be real if that makes sense lol and that is a great tip, its something I always want to add to any dio’s I attempt as they add so much realism. I tried the glycerine method, but that ended in a just an epic fail, so your method will be now the way forward. Keep up the great work mate.

Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback on glycerine, I had considered it, but it seemed a bit longwinded when I read up on the length of time the material needed to soak.

It’s all trial and error with me when it comes to scrounging stuff for foliage, something appear to have potential but are too soft (if that makes sense) to soak in the white glue.

Really long grass for large areas, say a scale knee-to-waist sort of height is the one I struggle with. Had read about carpet underlay felt, but it’s so damned expensive, and no local carpet shop to try scrounging. The other solution was teddy bear fur, but I can’t find any coarse enough…so if any has any suggestions, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G