Centurions: Fist of the Empire

Thanks John.
I gave it an all over coat of RC096 well diluted with auto paint lacquer thinner so as to let some of the pre shading show through.
Then I used an even more diluted version with off white RC013 added and “filled in” the centres of panels and ERA blocks etc.

1 Like

Looks nice and faded … I have the AK off white as well, so may try that on mine, or at least test a bit in the engine decks or a side bin :+1:

1 Like

The painting looks great, but I’m not sure that’s the right color for a Gimel. I might be wrong here, but I think when the Gimel came out, the IDF already adopted the new, greyish color scheme that was used during the '82 war.

2 Likes

Thanks but it is to late now by the time I had read your post I already had half the decals on.
What colour were the uniforms of the period please?

Just put it down to a very late retro fit that hadnt been repainted yet … it was in the queue :+1:

2 Likes

We had a discussion here on the very subject just a short while ago: Painting Miniart Israel tank crews Yom Kippur war

1 Like

More weathering.

The last picture was taken while it was still wet. When its dry I will add some more enamel washes.
Not sure what colour to paint the canvas mantlet shroud initially yet. Thinking a light buff/khaki mix. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

9 Likes

Nice job Catsrcool. I guess you’ll paint later on the extinguishers, the tools and the 60 mm mortar.

Olivier

1 Like

Thanks.

Yes when I know what colour to paint them and I had no idea there was a 60mm mortar let alone the colour or where it is? Or is it the boxes at the sides of the turret?

Forward-right of the commander’s cupola. Should be black/very dark grey.

2 Likes

That will probably work fine Colin, on mine I used XF55 deck tan with a touch of white. I have seen fire extinguishers their normal green colour or just over painted with the veh colour. Tools I just did normally…:+1:

1 Like

Thank you John. Dreading tackling the figure and stowage painting.

1 Like

True. They leave factory painted foam-green, but crews usually repaint them in vehicle color during scheduled maintenance.

1 Like

I know, I invariably end up almost repainting the whole tank after I’ve painted the stowage lol… I bought set of small fine tipped brushes for that very reason…

Israel, what are the 2 small cylindrical things behind the Comd cupola and slightly to the right… And would they also be vehicle colour ?

Try slipping thin slivers of plasticard (food packaging is a good source of material) under handles and similar stowed items. Any spills and shaky brush actions are caught by the plastic sheet.
The edge between tool/stowage/whatever and fasteners/holders/clips are then the only areas you need to worry about

2 Likes

Tracks are done and on, as are the side skirts.

Quite pleased with how the tracks turned out, and once they get the sand pigments and the dust wash added I think they will be looking ok.

Also added a wooden stowage box to the front right fender in front the bin, used some rope coloured cotton thread to represent a thinnish bit of rope.

I followed @Bison126 - Olivier’s guide on the tracks, Tamiya cold iron, then AK oily steel dry brushed on the inner links to show tyre wear, and on the outside edges. Also used a very small thinned down amount of MIG Track rust only to add some depth colour.

Israel, @ReluctantRenegade , do you think the crews would of over painted the reflectors on the rear mudguards ?

9 Likes

Those are some really good looking tracks… and a very good looking tank!

1 Like

Thanks. The tracks are beautifuly cast and come with brass pins.