Centurions: Fist of the Empire

Thank you John. Dreading tackling the figure and stowage painting.

1 Like

True. They leave factory painted foam-green, but crews usually repaint them in vehicle color during scheduled maintenance.

1 Like

I know, I invariably end up almost repainting the whole tank after I’ve painted the stowage lol… I bought set of small fine tipped brushes for that very reason…

Israel, what are the 2 small cylindrical things behind the Comd cupola and slightly to the right… And would they also be vehicle colour ?

Try slipping thin slivers of plasticard (food packaging is a good source of material) under handles and similar stowed items. Any spills and shaky brush actions are caught by the plastic sheet.
The edge between tool/stowage/whatever and fasteners/holders/clips are then the only areas you need to worry about

2 Likes

Tracks are done and on, as are the side skirts.

Quite pleased with how the tracks turned out, and once they get the sand pigments and the dust wash added I think they will be looking ok.

Also added a wooden stowage box to the front right fender in front the bin, used some rope coloured cotton thread to represent a thinnish bit of rope.

I followed @Bison126 - Olivier’s guide on the tracks, Tamiya cold iron, then AK oily steel dry brushed on the inner links to show tyre wear, and on the outside edges. Also used a very small thinned down amount of MIG Track rust only to add some depth colour.

Israel, @ReluctantRenegade , do you think the crews would of over painted the reflectors on the rear mudguards ?

9 Likes

Those are some really good looking tracks… and a very good looking tank!

1 Like

Thanks. The tracks are beautifuly cast and come with brass pins.

Cannisters holding smoke flares. They should be olive green, their mounts are painted in vehicle color.

BTW, this is a feature that remained practically unchanged for over 50 years now, you can even see them on Merkava Mk.4s.

2 Likes

Based on my reference photos, I would leave them as they are:

Centurion-Shot-Kal-egyptian-front-1973-oc-2

Sherman-M-51-harel-brigade-conference-jerusalem-1977-hrv

2 Likes

2 Likes

@ReluctantRenegade
Israel please can you tell me if the caps on the smoke dischargers either side of the turret are blue please?
Like this Magach:

No, they’re foam-green.

3 Likes

Israel, thank you buddy, some excellent references there … Lucky that you’re in on this build …:+1::+1:

1 Like

You’re welcome John, I’m glad to be assisting to your builds.

1 Like

John those tracks look spectacular!

1 Like

Thanks again Israel… Your knowledge and Nikos @gtdeath13 are making things a whole lot easier :+1:.
Thank Matt @SSGToms although, a :+1:has to go to @Bison126 for his recommendation and how he did his :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Amazing work @Johnnych01!

I managed to do a bit on my Shot Kal Dalet. There’s still a bit to go tho. (Tarps need to be repainted, the smoke launcher needs to be black, need to refine the mud and repaint the mg’s.)

What do yall think?

14 Likes

The 60mm mortar on a Sho’t:

The same mortar on a Merkava Mk.1:

5 Likes

Those are some really great looking Centurions!! like all of them :+1:

2 Likes