Centurions: Fist of the Empire

hi All
I am afraid I have to leave this group build has I am doing something with Centurion AVRE 165 kit , there is a lot of variables that can or could be built with the kit .
great kit I must say a lot of stuff in the box

ossie

1 Like

This is very interetsing; with a few AFV Club Cents in my stash, I must just ask how bad are the kit wheels/tyres/ What is actually wrong with them?

hi I believe the issue a lot of people have is that they cannot stick them on , I use revel or humbrol cement and have had no problems at all ,
also I wash them very well before painting again had no issues when I have painted them.

BUT I do have an issue with the new plastic ones due to there being no ribs internaly of the wheel rim .
I have bought some SMM rims to replace these and have a set of vinyls which I have had for several years made up to go on in case from another kit
ossie

Thanks Ossie, very helpful.

Peter your Aussie gun tank is looking great so far. I have one in the stash that I will put together soon. I too went with the Firestorm replacement wheels for all my Centurions. I got a bit more done to the hull yesterday and I hope to start work on the turret today.

Cheers :beers:
TJ

2 Likes

Brian the vinyl ones are actually a tad too large and leave a slight gap at the rear - it is not visible from the front as the wheel butts up against a step on the inside, but you do see it if you look under the vehicle- at least the ones in this kit do, which is one of the very first edition with the resin figure included.

Other AFV Club vinyl tyres on other builds I have done (and some of my club mates have done) rejected paint. This is especially so if you dry brush, where the paint tends to peel off the edges no matter how gentle the brush strokes, and the Cent tyre has the wheel rim on it so it will need careful painting.

After past experience I replace anything vinyl by them just in case. This will include the mantlet cover. I selected that to fill an order to get free postage (the part was half the price of postage!) so no great loss. I did not realise it was vinyl at the time…

The Canadian Cent is looking good too TJ.

Thanks Peter - all useful Int! I can probably live with a poor fit from the rear - as long as it looks OK from the front; the paint adherence is a bit more worrying. I’ll probably carry out some troop trials first and see what happens. I still major in enamels so I just wonder if that will still be a problem - on top of a good primer of course.

Thanks again. I think I’ve got around 5 in my stash, all for differing projects; we’ll see how it all goes - but not just yet(!)

1 Like

I primed the plastic part, used PVA glue to add the vinyl part and them primed again. If you avoid heavy thinners like lacquer etc you will not have an issue with the vinyl tires. If finding a replacement is easy then go for it, you can find wheels sets as cheap as 10$ a set.

Thanks Nikos, very much.

Slowly forward…

5 Likes

Nice update Piotr. You have some nice colour variations over the whole kit … Great work.

Love those colours, which did you use to get this effect?

Thanks Peter, Piotr your Cent is looking awesome. Here is some more work done on the Canadian Mk11. A lot of work done to the turret, just one or two items need to be positioned properly and glued down. Hoping to make the deadline :crossed_fingers:.

Cheers :beers: TJ

5 Likes

Just get it built and spray it primer red and say its just come off the production line on the way to the spray shop :grin:

Looks very good though … nice work on it :+1:

1 Like

Piotr
This is a very nice sun bleached Shot.

Olivier

Thanks John. I might have to do that with all the snow shoveling we are going to have to do here in southern Alberta I’m going to run out of time :joy:

LOL … just thinking of that snow and all the cancelled MedMans … we were isolated and totally cut off once in Crowfoot when we got hit with a whiteout for 6 days when I came over for a stint on Range safety, no power, no gas (=no cookhouse ) all cooking was done on the unit field kitchens, me and my driver would just sit in the wagon by the block with the heater on to stay warm lol … I have some epics someplace, will try and dig them out

Thanks !! it’s the fault of a bad photo…in nature it is not so faded…

Never never never admit to that … We think it looks fantastic lol. …:rofl::rofl: