Centurions: Fist of the Empire

The majority if not all cents had covers, but for some reason no one includes them in the box. Def models makes a nice resin one for the shot kal for about $6

2 Likes

I mean you could always build the one parked up in the museum at Latrun :laughing:

Sorry Johnny, I lied. I linked you the 20pdr by mistake. The Shot Alef there still has its cover!

Unfortunatey the IDF does not like dust and really likes their dust covers so al vehicles had it. I have a couple of photos of abandoned/burnt vehicles without it, for obvious reasons.

It is not difficult to do with some milliput or pva glue and paper. You should give it a try. It is at least easier than using the Def resin, which requires you to cut the turret front.

3 Likes

9JUQfEK

6 Likes

That example almost definitely doesnโ€™t depict a real-word configuration: besides the rather obvious absence of the mantlet-cover, the IDF never used Hush Puppy tracks on its Shoโ€™ts. AFAIK a batch of Centurions purchased from the Netherlands had them and they were later reinstalled on some of the Nagmachons.

Some early Shoโ€™t footage:

ืกื“ืจืช ืื™ืžื•ื ื™ื ื‘ื™ื•ื ื’ื™ื™ืกื•ืช ื”ืฉืจื™ื•ืŸ ืฉืœ ืฆื”ืดืœ โ€“ ืืจื›ื™ื•ืŸ ื”ืกืจื˜ื™ื ื”ื™ืฉืจืืœื™ โ€“ ืกื™ื ืžื˜ืง ื™ืจื•ืฉืœื™ื

I was kiddingโ€ฆ because it was the only one without a mantlet cover.

Sure mate, got that! I was merely pointing out yet another inaccuracy in Latrun.

1 Like

Basic painting is done, tracks are on. Just waiting on decals to arrive now.

7 Likes

Looks excellent, really like the camo.

Question, how hard was it to install the def mantlet and what steps were needed? I am planning on starting my centurion Saturday and ordered the mantlet from sprue bros. Jsut trying to annticapte/plan issues

Looks excellent Don. Itโ€™s a real striking paint scheme and nice to see it โ€ฆ Details look crisp as wellโ€ฆgreat job :+1::+1:

I had issues, but only because I had built up turret with the kit mantlet with the original intention of using the AVF Club AM vinyl cover.

Because of this, I had to butcher more of the structure than if I was starting from scratch.

Donโ€™t install this bit

You can still kind of see here where I had to cut into it.

The instructions of course show everything from the wrong angle, but you just need to cut around the existing detail for the canvas mounting clips.

If you dry fit and trim the kit parts before gluing youโ€™ll be fine. Given the slab of resin the thing is cast from however, Iโ€™d seriously consider using epoxy rather than CA.

1 Like

Perfect so not much trimmings! I was worried Iโ€™d have to shave down the entire mantlet. Iโ€™m assuming the def cover has all the require holes for the main gun and MG?

Yep. Slot for the main gun is keyed. Thereโ€™s a little bit of play, or there was with mine. I think I put a drop of CA in the very bottom and then a little epoxy to hold everything snug and take up a little space.

Mind you that was with the 20pdr metal barrel. If youโ€™ve got a different gun you may have to adjust things.

1 Like

I think Iโ€™m going to bite the bullet and get the Def model Shot Kal mantlet โ€ฆ I just hope it fits the Amusing Hobby turret โ€ฆ

Love the camo job Don. Looking very nice.

Cheers! I havenโ€™t looked in the shoโ€™t box but I think the barrel is metal with plastic for the sheaths and thermal cover so imagine itโ€™s similar. Looking forward to digging into my centurion

I say this from compete ignorance, but I canโ€™t see it not. Might just need some putty work like I did.

Check your instructions. Is the turret assembly roughly the same?

1 Like

At @Johnnych01 i have the shoโ€™t mantlet cover coming probably by the weekend. I have the afv club kit. I can take pictures of the cover and my mantlet so you can judge if itโ€™ll work

1 Like

Killer paint job! Well done! Nice to see a Cent sporting unusual camo.

Cheers Mead, that would be handy. :+1:

1 Like