Centurions: Fist of the Empire

She’s painted!

Anyone else making any progress?

8 Likes

Looks great!

Not yet. It’s next up after my KV-1 though, and that build is super straight forward. I’ll probably start my Sho’t in a couple weeks

1 Like

Very Nice Don.

I have a rather large backlog of painting to get through due to compressor failure. I’ll be starting late on this one.

2 Likes

That looks fantastic Don, great work on the cammo.

Not made a start on mine, want to get a few other things finished first before I tackle something new.

1 Like

I’m also struggling to work out if this one should have the 105 gun or not. From what I can tell, most if not all had been regunned by the 6 Day War. But what other modifications were made?

If it’s representative of a Centurion prior to the war, I’ll just do it as is.

I know squat about IDF vehicles, but if you want to grab an aftermarket L7 105 you’ll get your self a Mk 5/2 with that kit. Mk 6 and above had additional glacis armour, IR kit and some other bits.

My Mk 5 came with a bunch of sprues from the other Mks including two different mantlets,searchlights and what not. You might be well served opening it up and taking a good look at your parts to see what you’ll get out of the box.

If you can get a hold of one, the DEF canvas cover is clutch.

1 Like

Not as yet … The trumpy LAV AD is almost done which I post some pics of next and then the Shot Kal Alef will get started :+1:

1 Like

Thanks. It’s not one I’m an expert on either! Most Google searches show later tanks, which doesn’t help. There’s a lot of stuff in here unused that I recognise from the Aussie Centurion, so chances are it has the additional parts. I need to check the instructions properly to be honest. I gave it a quick look through when I bought it.
I have seen a few L7 guns around. Not specifically marketed for this, although I have seen one for the Tamiya Tiran. I got one of these last year, so I was thinking of getting one for the Tiran and using the original on the Centurion. A crazy idea perhaps, but it might work.

Thanks for the hint on the mantlet cover. I did buy one of AFV Clubs and it’s not great looking once I had it in my hands. Fortunately I didn’t pay much for it. There was a post recently on another manufacturer producing a resin cover so might look into that one too.

1 Like

Mantlet was from Scorpion, though taking a look they’re all for later Mks. They also do an L7 but it’s with the thermal sleeve so you’ll need to consult your references.

Leopard Club does a few 105s, but tbh I wasn’t all that impressed with the one I used on my Leo. They’re multi piece and the fit wasn’t great.

1 Like

Yes, that was them. I need to have a proper look at what’s around. It’s all still very much in the planning stages and I think need to make notes rather than keep it in my head!
I saw Scorpions gun, but from what I can tell the IDF didn’t use thermal sleeves back in 67. Maybe later they did? I’m not quite as to when that equipment started becoming common.

The Tiran gun I was looking at was Abers and they have a pretty good reputation.

When in doubt, deep dive the archive

https://archive.armorama.com/forums/269825/

Our very own 18Bravo waxing on your very model.

I’ve found a couple of vague sources, including Osprey which seem to hint at the upgrade from the 20pdr to the L7 starting prior to ‘67 but not being complete until ‘70, so there maybe have been some 20pdr armed wagons around during the Six Day War.

1 Like

Also, post a question in a new thread and the more IDF knowledgeable guys like ReluctantRenegade will likely answer your question

1 Like

Thanks, that’s answered a few questions.
I’ll have a proper look in the box but I’m heading in the direction of building it as is going on the suggestion there that some of the original guns were still around. If it’s more representative of a pre-war tank then I’m cool with that. It’s a great looking kit and I’ve been meaning to add some IDF armour to the collection and it’s a good place to start off.

You can build it as is, with the 20pdr gun. The IDF even had upgraded Shots with the 20pdr in 1973.

I can post photos if you want.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I’ll go with that that then. Some photos would be helpful as I have very little references.
I might try a Google search of the specific vehicles on the decal sheet and see if I have any luck. Little project for the weekend I think.

1 Like

21272585_340613946350939_8935439321300851251_n

21317858_340614019684265_7296672679851139222_n (1)

21430388_340613986350935_3530514597462194264_n

5 Likes

Thanks, those will be very helpful!

1 Like

Great pictures, especially this one
Would make a great diorama…

4 Likes

Started to have a look in the box and noticed that the Centurion in the 4th photo, 817034, is included as a bonus decal in the kit. Unfortunately, it’s not mentioned in the instructions or marking guide.

And it has the 20pdr. I think that’s the one! Cheers.

2 Likes

So, I’m going to be starting my Shot Kal Alef ( that’s what it says on the box and I’m sticking to it) but I have a question before I get into it
Did all these Cents have mantlet covers ? I am pretty sure there isn’t anything in the box.
Any help appreciated

Edit. It’s the Amusing Hobby one, and if there is one image without a canvas cover… That will be good enough for me not to do one :grin:

1 Like