Chains

What is decent size/product to use for the smalls chains on vehicles in 1/35 scale?

The current issue is the tailgate for a Gamma Goat.

Granted this one is mostly covered but you get the idea.

TIA

3 Likes

Ryan,
The smallest articulated chain available is .55mm, which still may be too heavy for this application. I would use photo etch chain and twist it to give it a 3D effect.

1 Like

There are very small chains in the train and ship modeling arena. It is measured by links per mm. I don’t know what size I have, but it is small enough for 1/35 tailgate chain. Here it is on my current M1085 FMTV build.

IMG_2438

2 Likes

Yep, that is the look I am going for but struggling on the chain size.

1 Like

‘L.Z. models’ Good stuff from Ireland.

223609-10244-62-pristine

No. 35601 ‘Precision Very Fine Chin’ is their finest. Should do the trick.

I can also recommend No. 35602 ‘Precision Medium Chain’ for bumper tow chains, etc.

223610-10244-25-pristine

HTH :chains:
—mike

4 Likes

I use PE chain on retaining pins on tanks like Panthers, etc…the retaining pins on towing clevis (Pz lV), the spare track links (Panther), gas cap covers (Shermans). etc. Twist a bit, and bend into a “J” shape for the usual hanging slack.
:smiley: :canada:

2 Likes

What I do is
-I select a wire gauge that matches the size I’m after
-I bend it in the middle, put the loop end in the vise, the other in the pin vise, tighten both and then rotate the pin vise until I’m happy with the “thread” size.
-Finaly, I run a heavy roller over the side of the wire thread.

The result is something like that

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

11 Likes

Interesting technique Angel. Thanks. :+1:

3 Likes

How did you get the gaps? Mine are too tight/small.

1 Like

I use a flat piece of steel and the handle of Excel K2 knife when rolling over the threaded wire.Metal on metal results in a high pressure applied.
When the wire gets flattened, it expands and both wire runs separate a bit.

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

I think I understand. I think I don’t need the twist to be so tight so it is easier to expand.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah, you need to try, but basically less is more.
A super-twisted wire might break when roller pressed(don’t ask me how I know).

You’re welcome!
Angel

2 Likes

Do you happen to have a pic of the result. I am curious how that turns out.

2 Likes

https://forums.kitmaker.net/uploads/default/original/3X/9/4/94d4a5b9640581c78c0566ab0498e19ab2d80067.jpeg

4 Likes

Yes,

Some builds from my recent “Pz.IV madness” :wink: with chains I did using wire:

Cheers,
Angel

6 Likes

Ah, okay. The close-up of the wire itself really helped. I am going to give that a try real soon. Working on planes right now so not a lot of chain action involved.

2 Likes

Ryan,
PM me. I may be able to 3D print some small chains for you. Let’s discuss.

Kind regards,
James

2 Likes

f you are in the states check out Hobby Lobby jewelery section.

2 Likes

Mine had nothing suitable. Either a good shape but too large or right size but wrong shape. Thinking of checking out flea markets and antique shops as I notice some of my wife’s older chains look good – but obviously I can’t take hers.

2 Likes

As I was telling Tank_1812, it may just be easier to 3D print them:

I’m trying to figure out the minimum size my printer can handle before triggering a print fail.

5 Likes