Challenger 1 IFOR/SFOR

I saw… So in case I will have to think about how to shorten the baskets. :scream:

BTW have you ever seen the square-ish tubes on both large lifting brackets on the front of the turret ? page 38 and 39.

One other thing. The orientation of the mesh on the left side (looking forward) of the front basket is very typical. Would that also be the same on the rght side ?
I can’t seem to find a picture of that side of the front basket

The square tubes are for cam poles to slide into. If you look on p37 you can also see one to the rear of the RH headlight mount, and there is also one to left of the LH headlight mount. They were fitted randomly, so some wagons would have them, some wouldn’t.

I’m not sure which basket you mean Marc ? Do you mean the basket on the actual sloped front of the turret or the small one on its side ?

1 Like

Thanks formation explanation.
Not standard …… maybe some artistic license :slight_smile:

Sorry for not being clear. Yes, I meant the basket on de front of the turret slope left of the barrel.

No probs… If you look at page 36 or 37 I think, you can see the left hand side mesh is the same size as the front section but instead of going horizontal it follows the angle of the turret slope. The right hand section is the same, it follows the slope of the turret at an angle.

Ref the cam pole mounts, if you look at the front view of 20, you can see the mount is fitted on the RH headlight mount like the others, so it would of had one on the left side of the LH headlight and in all probability, mounted to turret lifting eyes as well. :+1:

1 Like

I’m getting closer to starting the turret on mine, this makes me kind of glad I’ll be scratching the baskets again…

1 Like

When I do mine I will just scratch the small RH basket which we had in it’s correct place, as on 42 I only had a Chieftain long bin fitted down that LH side so won’t need the basket set

Marc: In the pic of the left side of the turret with the mesh basket in place, I noticed the shield between the back of the basket and the front of the rear bin is in place. Would that be there if the basket was actually fitted? If not, that would give you some room.

Yes it stays in place. The side basket sits straight in front of it :+1:

Argh.

Yes, Unfortunately there is no more room. But to be honest if you would only mount 1 basket to the left side you probably wont notice it as it would be a few mm too long but still end just before the slope.

However as I want to mount both of them to the left side and as I now know it is there I cannot unsee it :wink: But is seems fixable. I only hope the 3D prints are not too fragile to cut it.

1 Like

Good luck!

Very sharp or new side cutters/snippers ??

And yes for sure I will use a new blade :innocent:

This week was very busy so not much could be done besides some small …… details

4 Likes

Nice work Marc. The basket looks nice, and good effort opening up the exhaust louvres…:+1:

Thanks John.

The link to the walk around you shared is just killing me with ideas :rofl:

For example:

http://data4.primeportal.net/tanks/olivier_carneau/challenger_1/images/challenger_1_022_of_106.jpg

1 Like

That is probably one of the best Chally 1 walk rounds. Lots of good close ups.

These arrived today.
The first test fit looks promising.

For the front basket I think I like to top version (original part plus PE mesh) better :grin:

1 Like

Can you explain what the 2 different types/sets are ? Colours etc… The basket you did does look the better of the 2.
The bottom long white basket looks good for size…but both the middle baskets that usually go on the RH turret side have issues to be honest.

Of course :laughing:

Top left basket for the front slope is the original Tamiya frame with SMM etchings.

Top row left and right baskets are the ones from SMM (and primed).
Bottom row are the 3D prints form FC model trend.

Dimension wise the FC model trend baskets fit better if both of them are mounted on the left side as I was planning for the selected version.
In the next days, I will temporarily add them to the turret and make a picture.

1 Like