Challenger 1 IFOR/SFOR

Thanks. I like the overall shape and size of the FC ones to be honest. Although, I don’t need to worry about those as mine only had a long bin fitted on the LH side. What I do need to stock up on is some etch mesh…
I will be scratch building the small RH basket when I do mine.

The FC parts look pretty good… but I also need to find some PE mesh. I had thought about using the very fine mesh that’s part of a clothes dryer’s filter, but can only find very expensive filter assemblies.
I used the kit part for the front basket too, heavily thinned.

When they released their initial baskets, I tried to explain the inaccuracies to FCModelTrend of theirs. They made an attempt to correct, but they still couldn’t get them right. So I did my own with the detail eye of Tom Cromwell to get the CAD design right. I know you don’t agree the SMM baskets are correct. I have plenty of CR1 reference on my website: https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/spotlight

SMM takes the pain of all the DIY work :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The mesh does seem to be an issue. I though Accurate Armour did some, well they do, but the square mesh looks a bit to small - l may order some anyway so I have it as a back up. I am thinking of bumping my Chally 1 up the build list as I’m getting Chally withdrawal symptoms lol… I will definitely get the lge set from SMM for the rear turret bin.
It will be nice to do a proper rendition of my old C/S as like I said before, the one I did do was a used kit I got from evil bay and a lot of it had been built with the inaccuracies already built into and I just couldn’t be bothered breaking it all down and fixing them…this time I can start with a blank base kit and work up.

2 Likes

It’s an unsanctioned group build!

1 Like

Well Michael, I reckon you did a great job.
Thanks for supplying the awesome SMM update sets. I’ve loved working with them to reach this stage of the build. More work yet to be done to get it finished.

3 Likes

Another variation with the long bin all the way back on the left side and mesh bin in front of it. Labeled as D Sqn QDG at Glamoc.

1 Like

They were out when we were in Glamoc. Probably also when @Maximus8425 was out there… we used the same range for 30mm and a CQB range (which we used the probable 20000 spare 5.56 and 7.62mm the LD left for us in their stores ISO lol)… then built a 4Km range further up for our Swingfire shoots

We never fired in Glamoc though I’m sure our C Sqn did. We built a range south of Banja Luka near Manjaca Lake and strangely enough called it Manjaca range!! 44.6684412104721, 17.006907920788827 It’s still there visible on google maps as it has been made a permanent range by the Bosnian Serb Army. I was a Scimitar Troop Sgt on that tour. On my '94 Bosnia tour I fired at a range outside of Visoko with the Canadians.

3 Likes

I wonder if I’m the only sad one who looks at Google maps to find my old Bosnian patrol routes, our patrol house in Drvar, the QDG Sqn hanger past Cold Hussar, and our 3 Rebro stations… Please…no one answer that lol

Sorry John, got to answer that one; “No” - whilst not looking at patrol routes - I have been looking at aerial pics of the Metal Factory at Banja Luka; I had a good tour there, perverse though that may sound.

1 Like

I can take a no, it’s the yes I was worried about lol

1 Like

Yup same here, I was in Banja Luka wood factory in "96 and the metal factory in '98. I regularly look at places I’ve been, Cyprus, Canada, Poland, Germany, Iraq, Kuwait etc. Some places are easy to find, others are barely recognisable.

1 Like

Thank god it’s just not me lol

1 Like

I look, but most of the places I was at have changed or closed. Makes me feel really old.
Ken

I know how you feel, we closed the whole of Germany and moved everyone back to the UK. Germany was a fantastic posting, tax free cars, alcohol etc. and some good PX’s a few miles down the autobahn.

God, wasn’t it just; the land of milk and honey. Extra cash (Local Overseas Allowance), cheap fuel (British Forces Germany fuel coupons - and those maps which showed all the fuel stations), and the scheme whereby one didn’t pay tax on German goods if you filled in some NATO paperwork. My first posting as a 17 year old was in 1971, and coming from crappy, strike-ridden, dirty UK, Germany seemed exotic!

And all for the price of deterring the Soviet Forces and nuclear incineration; what’s not to like!

3 Likes

And good beer and bratwurst. Maneuvers in the German countryside are more exciting than driving around training areas back home with the added excitement of looking out for maneuver damage and soxmis.

LOL … there is nothing more exhilarating than being in a Chally at full speed smashing through a hedge or 5 bar gate then ripping a road to shreds while on a full on Div Ex in Germany and not caring about who is paying for it all lol …The prices per damaged item were crazy … The German farmers would get more money from the MOD for the damage to a quarter of a crop field, than he would get for the whole field sold as a crop !!! I think a damaged kerb stone was Dm500 if memory serves right…

2 Likes

It was also those other, even quaint things that stick in my mind: the shops only being open all day on the first Saturday of every month, the rest of the time only open in the mornings, so if you wanted to avail yourself of the German shops then you had to get a wiggle on at the weekends - monster Saturday morning hangover notwithstanding. The strict observance of traffic signs, (in fact all road use) including the pedestrian crossings; not too far from that the extremely efficient (and smart) Polizei, who would nick you as soon as look at you if you misbehaved, the MP5s clipped in their car doors sending a strong message. The testing of the sirens on the first Tuesday of every month, very atmospheric, and even chilling if you stopped to think about it. The same ones being used to initiate the alert exercises Quick Train/Active Edge depending on your timespan there (within BAOR). And the seemingly obligatory Sunday walk when nearly every German seemed to turn up for a Spaziergang, not that such genteel activities affected us; we, as young bachelor soldiers, were far too busy turning Deutschmarks into urine, practically 7 days a week. How the hell did we survive all that?

4 Likes