Challenger 1 mk3 Desert Storm

I’ve been loving Vallejo Rattle can paint as of late; they offer the right shade of OD for WW2 vehicles; their Feldgrau color is a bit darker and more grey than Tamiya Field Gray, but It works great for my needs. and their Dunkelgelb is a bit more yellow than Either Tamiya’s Dark Yellow (XF60) and Dark Yellow 2 (XF88).

1 Like

Yes Black 40 is Purbricks tank. I messaged Star decals with the updated info for the side of the turret they’re missing info about

2 Likes

You’ll enjoy the kit. I built it years ago, straight OOB, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

1 Like

If you are not going down the rabbit hole with detailing you can do it OOB without to much work. I will see if I can find any images of Cr1 Mk1 with a dozer fitted.

These are Mk2/3’s
Normal side plates.

Armour pack side plates

Will try and find some others later.

3 Likes

Is that the Lancers “motto” on the turret? That would be a welcome addition to the Star Decals range.

1 Like

Yes it is, I hope they add it, for now I’ll probably have to hand paint it on.

2 Likes

I might tackle a Challenger down the road, but not at the moment. Too much on my plate as it is right now… But I truly appreciate the help. Maybe it’ll motivate me to take a shot at one.

2 Likes

Did the hull and wheels. Waiting for my update sets.

4 Likes

Road wheels… those and tracks are the bane of armor builds… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I’m going to try something different is paint the road wheels black, then paint on the mixed tan instead.

1 Like

I’ll be watching this myself, I had a lot of fun building a couple of the Tamiya kits recently, and I’ll be darned if another one didn’t follow me home recently.

2 Likes

Wet over to my local Hobby Shop and they had the non-Desertized Challenger 1. I was tempted, but I’m holding until next paycheck, then maybe I’ll add it to the stash.

3 Likes

There’s one over here on evil bay, but to be honest, you’re better off just getting the desertized version as it has all the main parts for mk2/3 with some surgery…the original version is ok for only an early Mk1

2 Likes

If you have a Cold War Europe armor collection, you should pick up the Challenger Mk.1. Like the early M1A1s, it helped hold the line in Germany.

2 Likes

That’s the general idea. I could do the same with a Chieftain Mk5, but i think the Challenger 1 would be a great option as well for a Cold War ensemble of MBTs (M1 Abrams, Challenger 1, Leopard 1).

2 Likes

Also worth to mention; that Tamiya released two versions of the Desertised Challenger; 35154, which is the correct kit for the Challenger 1 Mk3 used in Op Granby, and 35274 (below), which is the more modern version, used during Op Telic.

Challenger 2 of 1 A Squadron, Queen’s Royal Lancers (QRL) on patrol in Basra, Iraq. 2004 during Op Telic.

3 Likes

Here are the two Tamiya Challenger I’s that I built. The BAOR from around 90/91, and the 91 Gulf War kit from about 15 years ago…

10 Likes

Do we have a Challenger challenge? :laughing:
Allow me!
IMG_3924 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
Two Cr1 Mk3’s, one Cr2, all Balkans theaters. In the stash are a Cr1 and Cr2, one each, desertized

8 Likes

Showoff. LOL. :rofl:

2 Likes

Dont forgot though, the box art and name is a bit off in some areas on 35154. To get a Mk3 you will need to do a bit of surgery on a few areas.

1 Like