Chieftain mk11 Takom

No Problem Johnny.
Pretty nasty surprise for vehicle restorers though, and no doubt some new owners too.

Mal

Sorry, didn’t see this. I used metal foil off a wine bottle cap to do the discharger covers and painted them Vallejo 71.044 the same as the thermal sleeve but this time straight from the bottle not lightened. They were quite easy to do, a wrap of foil round the sides of the discharger with a small lip bent over onto the face and then a piece cut to the same shape as the face and glued on.

1 Like

Cheers Max, will give that a go on mine.

1 Like

Thank you all for the inputs.
Today I applied the decals and painted most of the details. The thermal sleeve is probably not enough contrasted. I painted the covers with XF-65 Field Grey and the lower part with XF-65 enlightened with XF-57 Buff. Tomorrow I’ll apply a coat of Klir before starting the weathering. I’ll try to fade the camo a bit and add a bit of dirt to the lower parts.

Olivier

4 Likes

Olivier, it’s looking really very very nice, but if you want it to be authentic there may be a couple of points that need looking at, and @Maximus8425 may be able to step in and see what he remembers.
If you are going to do it as 0B, it will need a third ABA and third antenna (if you’re going to use antennas) which goes on the small round mounting plate behind the TOGs box. That was the Sqn Ldrs tank and the control station while he was on board, so they would be running 3 active radio nets at once.
The other one I am not sure on is the white TAC sign. I can only honestly remember yellow or black.
The images I have seen on line for Mk10s and 11s are private owned and restored tanks or museum tanks at shows or demos, and some of those even have the incorrect or made up call signs… Just me though, Max may be able to add more.

1 Like

Typically yellow yes but I’d never say never as that’s when the picture appears to prove you wrong! The only large scale white callsigns I can remember was in BATUS where it’s on a black background.

1 Like

Again thanks for the inputs. Unfortunately I followed Takom instructions and used their decals which could be wrong as I experienced on their AMX13s. You’re certainly right about an incorrect restored tank which could have be used as a model.
It’s a shame I didn’t ask before.
Concerning the ABA I thought I had one in the stash but it is not the same type at all and all the others I could shave from other kits are way oversized.
Concerning the white markings I believe I can’t do anything about them. They are quite tiny and repainting them is beyond my skills I fear.

So we are just three of us who know I have made those mistakes. Let’s keep this secret secret :laughing:

Olivier

2 Likes

Hi Olivier,

I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about them, as I said it is possible a unit used white callsigns and unless you are going for absolute accuracy for a specific vehicle it doesn’t really matter. When we re-roled to being a reconnaissance regiment in 1992 from MBT we switched to using grey callsign lettering on the wagons and at 1 point reverse camouflage which is the callsign is in green and black. The part in the green painted area of the vehicle would be black and the part in the black area would be green. These are two Light Dragoon wagons with Grey callsigns. one a brand new overhauled LEP wagon (C Sqn 1st Troop 13 junior Troop Corporal) and the other my Troop Sergeant (A Sqn 4th Troop 41) on exercise in an older version. We had re-roled from being a guided weapons troop to Scimitar troop for a Bosnia tour. I took the pictures from the top of a Spartan

4 Likes

Maybe the original markings from which Takom printed the decals were grey and Takom misinterpreted the color as white.

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Olivier

Honestly Olivier, exactly what Max said, I wouldn’t even think about it … You’ve done a cracking job on the build and should be rightly proud of it. I only mentioned it really for info in case you were going for a specific vehicle … Top job :+1:

2 Likes

I do like those grey TAC signs and C/S’s… They blend in and fade nicely when you see the 41 pic from distance.

1 Like

Man that looks fresh from the paint booth!

Don’t worry Matthew I intend to weather it a bit.

Olivier

1 Like

I was talking about this vehicle!

1 Like

Sorry. :grin:
For sure it’s ready for the parade.

Olivier

Got it the day after it was delivered. I was the Gunnery Staff Sergeant for the Regiment at that time and had it to teach new gunners on. As you can see it’s an LEP wagon fitted with E-Spire, here’s another pic taken from on top of the turret.
CVR(T) Vision Cupola 1

2 Likes

Last series of pictures before I start the weathering.
I have added the very last details and removed all the masking from the clear parts.

Olivier

12 Likes

Very sharp. :+1: :+1: Your usual restrained weathering I presume?

2 Likes

Not decided yet. For sure it won’t be hidden under a heavy layer of mud. :wink:
So far I just have given a try at a faded paint with oils. I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

Olivier

That looks great Olivier. To be honest, with a very gentle touch, that could easily be an almost new refurbished tank that’s never been on exercise… All tanks are new at some point in their lives. :+1:

3 Likes